What to make of Knowshon Moreno?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to make of Knowshon Moreno?

I'm not sure what to make of Moreno. He's quick and agile, has some burst through the hole...

...but why does he seem incapable of a long run? His career long run is 36 yards. Even looking pretty good this preseason, his longest run is 14 yards.

You'd think sheer luck would get him into the open field now and then and let him break off a 50-yarder. I mean, I'm glad that his YPC is looking pretty good right now but we need a home run now and then, too.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it a vision thing? Tripping too much? What's the deal?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Can we please not start this agian, Knowshon will be fine relax....
    sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

He's a little bit impatient and doesn't have great straight line speed
      sigpic
      God Bless. Go Broncos.

Comment

It is kinda strange. Its impressive his average is in the 4.5 range without any big runs.
        sigpic
        Sig by Blondie79

Comment

He's not a burner, so to bust out a long run he needs the blocking to be there, which it hasn't really been for the past few years.

I would rather have a guy chew up 4, 5, 6, yards consistently with some occasional 10-20 yarders than have a speed guy who gets hit after 1, 2 yards or even tackled for loss every play and then breaks out a 60 yarder to save his average.

Knowshon is great at getting positive yardage every play, he rarely gets hit for a loss unless the blocking completely breaks down.

Comment

Originally posted by LightningRodBob View Post
            He's not a burner, so to bust out a long run he needs the blocking to be there, which it hasn't really been for the past few years.

I would rather have a guy chew up 4, 5, 6, yards consistently with some occasional 10-20 yarders than have a speed guy who gets hit after 1, 2 yards or even tackled for loss every play and then breaks out a 60 yarder to save his average.

Knowshon is great at getting positive yardage every play, he rarely gets hit for a loss unless the blocking completely breaks down.
            ^
            Couldn't agree more with that assesment, I love Knowshon's style he is shifty and tough, has good hands too. I hope we see alot of screen's this year going his way.
            sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Originally posted by LightningRodBob View Post

I said I was glad his YPC was looking good. It's just weird that he can't seem to break a long one. The odds say a defensive breakdown should happen now and then and let him run free but it never seems to happen.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

You don't need to be a burner to get a 50 yard gain though. LenDale White I think had a 70 yard TD run in Tennessee, Blount isn't a burner and he's had some big gains as well.

I'm in agreement with the OP, I figure at some point just out of sheer luck a defense would screw up and let us get a big 50/60 yard run for once like we always seem to do. I don't really understand it, maybe we just really suck at getting blockers to the second level to clear out holes for truly long gains.

Comment

Might have to do with him playing 15-20 lbs heavier the last few years. I expect some big runs this year for sure.

Comment

I believe that Knowshon will show mass improvement this year. With his new conditioning, and addition of McGahee and Ball coming into his own, i see our running game making a significant impact for us. I hope that Johnson and/or Minor makes the roster too.
                    HE>i

Comment

He struggles tying his shoes and trips often.

Quite a shame.

Comment

I have not been a big Knowshon supporter thus far, he goes down way to easy and always seems winded....That being said I think he has look pretty good in this pre-season. I hope it continues into the regular games.

Comment

Originally posted by svpearson View Post
                          I have not been a big Knowshon supporter thus far, he goes down way to easy and always seems winded....That being said I think he has look pretty good in this pre-season. I hope it continues into the regular games.
                          Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about here.

The reason Moreno has had injury and fumble problems is because he runs too hard. Meaning he'll try to fight a tackle that cannot be broken, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
                            I'm not sure what to make of Moreno. He's quick and agile, has some burst through the hole...

...but why does he seem incapable of a long run? His career long run is 36 yards. Even looking pretty good this preseason, his longest run is 14 yards.

You'd think sheer luck would get him into the open field now and then and let him break off a 50-yarder. I mean, I'm glad that his YPC is looking pretty good right now but we need a home run now and then, too.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it a vision thing? Tripping too much? What's the deal?
                            McD's offense was predicated on spreading the field out, with wideouts selling their routes every play to force defenses to cover them one on one.

By having the wr's sell their routes like that, they didn't block a lot close to the line.

Look at all the good running teams. Even past Bronco ones. The WR's are very active in the blocking schemes.

I too have been disapointed with Moreno overall. But let's see what he can do in an offense built to run. IMO, this is his make or break year. If he doesn't show up big this year, he won't ever make that leap.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                              Sorry, but you have no idea what you're talking about here.

The reason Moreno has had injury and fumble problems is because he runs too hard. Meaning he'll try to fight a tackle that cannot be broken, etc.
                              Well what I have seen is him either being totally gassed after a 10 yard run or running into defenders and getting tackled for short gains. But I dont know what I'm talking about I guess...

Comment

Working...
                              X