Crow Eating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crow Eating

I will admit that Miller may have been the better pick over Darues, although I will still say the DT position is the anchor against the run.

We will still have problems stopping the run and with all the injuries we have had this preseason, it will be harder. BUT, teams really have to worry about the 3rd and 5 or longer when they face us. The QB will no longer have time to read the Post before reading the D. Miller with DOOM back will be a potent combination to dirty the QB's jersey.

I still would have liked a DT in the second round though. It will take two years to really evaluate the Franklin - Moore against some of the DTs we wanted on the boards like Paea. If Franklin proves to be a stalwart and solid tackle, then the picks seen to be a good one. Moore should be solid and I really like what I have seen, I think that fine was borderline wrong.

The BIG test is the regular season and when we are up by two with 5 minutes left or 2 minutes left. BUT for now, I will eat the crow of the Miller pick. I really liked the pick, I just thought we needed a top DT, BUT Miller should be pro-bowler this year.
    Broncos forever!! :clap:
    \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

This is a chance for the Darues people to come out and say Miller was the best choice.

Or to defend your position still.
    Broncos forever!! :clap:
    \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

Comment

I was pro-Dareus for the most part. I certainly preferred Marcel over Fairley, as I did feel that DT was our biggest need. I wasn't kicking-&-screaming when the news surfaced that DEN was gunning for Von, as he was their top choice. I definitely understood the philosophy. Elway played in the LT/DT era and witnessed firsthand how such an impact player could change things; Plus, pairing DOOM with MILLER would bring something special to the table for the Broncos.

Living here in Dallas, I had no doubt that VM was a legit, all-around player solid player. I mean, you really couldn't go wrong with either one (Miller or Dareus). HOWEVER, I felt if Von was our guy, and we decided to go in that direction, then grabbing a DT in the 2nd round was imperative. Actually, given the depth of talent at DL, compared to the weak LB class... I started to believe that this was the most prudent course of action to pursue.

As for Dareus, man he still looks like a monster. I knew he was good, but I didn;t think he would stand out physically in the NFL trenches. I saw he was huge in college, but man the dude is massive. He's also a hard worker, a leader, quick-learner and everything you would hope for to be the captain and anchor of your DL. Buffalo is happy for sure.

BUT, Miller is a special player. One that doesn't come around often.

So, after we grabbed Miller I was half-hoping we would trade up when Nick was falling, and we would attempt to grab Fairley. When that didn't happen I felt we were still in good shape because their was still some serious talent on the board:

DTs: Corey Liuget, Muhammed Wilkerson, Jarvis Jenkins, Stephen Paea & Marvin Austin.

DEs like: Clayborn, Jordan, Heyward & Bowers.

DEN was sitting at 36, so the odds were fantastic. I mean, we were getting a top DL... no doubt. I really feel as though DEN had Liuget & Wilkerson on their big board as 2 DTs worthy of the 36th selection. I feel if either one was still available then DEN was going to grab them. When SD & NYJ made those 2 beefcakes first round picks, this allowed DEN to trade down a few spots so they could accumulate a couple picks (Carter & Thomas).

In other words, it's hard to compare flat out Moore or Franklin with a 2nd round DL we missed out on. Because DEN dealt out of 36, they were able to draft Q-Carter and Julius Thomas. DEN needs an influx of talent, so obviously 3 players is better than 1 (unless that 1 is a pro bowler and the 3 turn out to be marginal, second-stringers).

ANYWAY, I really believe DEN felt good b/c they felt Jarvis Jenkins would be there. They took a calculated risk. I APPLAUD THAT. I never bought into the Mcdaniels' way (get antsy and leap up for prospects). NEVER lose your patience in the draft! Always have a plan-B. Safety in #s. Trade down and get 2 more picks, and hope for the best. If Jarvis falls... GREAT. If not, then grab the next guy atop your big board. I believe they felt comfortable enough with Moore and Franklin....

Was this the way to go? Who knows.

Jenkins was looking like a monster in WAS before he got hurt. Austin is hurt. Who knows about Paea? Actually, it might be Bowers who we come to regret passing on (as well as 30 other teams).

But R-Moore is looking nasty. And, we can't blame FOX for wanting a run-mauling OL. Not every pick will pan out... But if Moore is a pro bowl caliber FS, and Thomas is a force at TE for DEN... Then we can't really lament not drafting Paea.

Comment

I got so happy when denver had 2 picks in a row and both Marvin Austin AND stephen Paea was still on the board

Comment

It is one of those things where you really couldnt have gone wrong with either player.

Me, personally, would have still preferred that we had drafted Dareus, but I am certainly not disappointed in Miller. They are both the real deal, and were without question the best two players in the draft on either side of the ball.

Comment

Too early to tell. Too early for crow.

My opinion is that it's much harder to find a franchise DT than a franchise LB. Miller does have a unique skillset, and we're using him as a DE and rush LB more than half the time. That makes him more than a mere LB and it makes him massively more valuable than a traditional 43 SAM LB. But if I'm choosing between Haloti Ngata and DeMarcus Ware, I'm taking Ngata.

Again, just a personal belief you build inside out and that elite DTs are arguably the hardest position to find, Parcells' Planet Theory and all that.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Miller was consistently rated the #2 player in the draft with some thinking that he was possibly the best player available in the draft. The Broncos obviously had him rated higher than Dareus.

The Broncos needed a pass rusher just as much as they needed a defensive tackle. In this case, the pass rusher was rated higher than the defensive tackle by the Broncos and others. They absolutely made the right choice.

Whether they should have drafted Austin and/or Paea is debatable. They stayed true to their board and they can't be blamed for that. But, I'm sure many will find reason to blame them for setting their board wrongly.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Franklin and Moore were necessary and are both on the 1st teams. Can you say Austin or Paea would already be on the 1st teams? Maybe, but our 2nd choices were needs also.
                sigpic

Comment

I was really wanting dareus but that was just assuming that miller wasn't even an option. I love tue miller pick more and more. It all depends how the players turn out.

The mistake I think was Franklin over austin, not that Franklin is going to be a bad player but I feel he should be at guard and the broncos don't really need a guard. Austin and bunkley would hav been a great combo.

In the end it all depends how the players turn out.
                  sigpic
                  "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

I too wanted a DT, but at least our top 3 picks are all starting players. I'd be a little pissed if Miller went the Ayers route and didn't start a single game his rookie season. Franklin also still has me worried as a starter, but overall Miller and Moore look like two very solid picks.

Like I said, Franklin still concerns me, I'll never be convinced he won't make a better guard even if he becomes a good RT, but at least there's some potential there.

Comment

Originally posted by jmjk View Post
                      This is a chance for the Darues people to come out and say Miller was the best choice.

Or to defend your position still.
                      It has been three preseaon games, against at least two teams that have O-lines like turnstyles..... and some are ready to annoint Miller All-Pro. Yes he has been very good, but let see the regular season against good teams when we NEED a play bad from the D- or simply consistency, week in, week out.

Dareus and Kyle Williams will be a force in the middle of Buffalo's Defense. The Miller/ Dareus debate will be very exciting to watch, either way.
                      A super bowl victory is the only thing that matters in a season. So to show improvement you have to get closer than we were last year. So the AFCC game is a good answer if we only match what we did last year it is a failure. The Giants were 9-7 and won it all so record or first round bye mean nothing unless you win it all-

#87Birdman wrote it- adding Manning, the Broncos should be held to it, and certain posters think otherwise and we know who you are.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                        I too wanted a DT, but at least our top 3 picks are all starting players. I'd be a little pissed if Miller went the Ayers route and didn't start a single game his rookie season. Franklin also still has me worried as a starter, but overall Miller and Moore look like two very solid picks.

Like I said, Franklin still concerns me, I'll never be convinced he won't make a better guard even if he becomes a good RT, but at least there's some potential there.
                        Don't worry, Von has shown more in 3 preseason games than Ayers has in two years.

Comment

When Dareus got that opening sack on Orton in the preseason game, my stomach really churned. I was borderline depressed until Von got his.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMtnConvert View Post
                            It has been three preseaon games, against at least two teams that have O-lines like turnstyles..... and some are ready to annoint Miller All-Pro. Yes he has been very good, but let see the regular season against good teams when we NEED a play bad from the D- or simply consistency, week in, week out.

Dareus and Kyle Williams will be a force in the middle of Buffalo's Defense. The Miller/ Dareus debate will be very exciting to watch, either way.
                            Agreed. Although Miller is looking really good, it IS still preseason. I like what I'm seeing though. I too would have preferred Dareus or Fairly to help anchor the D-Line, but we'll see how it plays out. It's not a matter of eating crow for me. As I said, Miller is looking good and Moore may turn out to be a good one as well. Either way, I like the overall direction we seem to be headed in. I'd say things are looking up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                              Too early to tell. Too early for crow.

My opinion is that it's much harder to find a franchise DT than a franchise LB. Miller does have a unique skillset, and we're using him as a DE and rush LB more than half the time. That makes him more than a mere LB and it makes him massively more valuable than a traditional 43 SAM LB. But if I'm choosing between Haloti Ngata and DeMarcus Ware, I'm taking Ngata.

Again, just a personal belief you build inside out and that elite DTs are arguably the hardest position to find, Parcells' Planet Theory and all that.
                              I actually do remember Parcells have a draft special on ESPN.

He said the only 3 positions that could warrant a top 2 pick in the draft were pass rusher, left tackle, and quarterback. Not defensive tackle.

Comment

Working...
                              X