No announcement yet.

Contracts Dictated which QB Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personally, after reading numerous stories (including Westword's in depth report Link >) about Bowlen's finances I believe that the decisions being made are based off of fiscal concerns. After all, Shanny is still being paid and McD is still being paid (because of the separation settlement). The Broncos just don't have the liquid assets to invest in player personnel which is why no big time free agents were signed this year.

If Tebow starts at or after game 9 of this season then we know for a fact that the decision to not play him was based on fiscal matters. Until then we can only assume.

Comment

• Well Tebow is getting play time. BEFORE game 9. Interesting....

Tebow fumbled several snaps under center tonight. Maybe he just really looked terrible in practice. MAYBE the FO was actually telling the truth?
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by MaloCS View Post
        Personally, after reading numerous stories (including Westword's in depth report Link >) about Bowlen's finances I believe that the decisions being made are based off of fiscal concerns. After all, Shanny is still being paid and McD is still being paid (because of the separation settlement). The Broncos just don't have the liquid assets to invest in player personnel which is why no big time free agents were signed this year.

If Tebow starts at or after game 9 of this season then we know for a fact that the decision to not play him was based on fiscal matters. Until then we can only assume.
        Yep playing time, not starts...We shall see where this leads us.
        Canadian Denver Bronco Fan Club #60

Comment

• This thread is a great example of confirmation bias, the driving force behind conspiracy theories. For example, a Tebow fan reads a crackpot motive on a messageboard about how the Broncos are keeping their good players down, and they accept it as fact because it confirms what they already believe: that Tebow is a great QB.

The reality was a good example of Occam's Razor, i.e. all things being equal, the simpler explanation was correct: The coaching staff didn't start Tebow because he wasn't ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blart View Post
            This thread is a great example of confirmation bias, the driving force behind conspiracy theories. For example, a Tebow fan reads a crackpot motive on a messageboard about how the Broncos are keeping their good players down, and they accept it as fact because it confirms what they already believe: that Tebow is a great QB.

The reality was a good example of Occam's Razor, i.e. all things being equal, the simpler explanation was correct: The coaching staff didn't start Tebow because he wasn't ready.
            I love how people throw out Occam's Razor. To me, it's stupid. If you're walking down the street by yourself in downtown Denver at night and you make eye-contact with someone...he keeps going and you keep going...Occam's Razor says "that's a guy just passing you on the street". But reality is, he might've just slipped down the alley to get ahead of you cuz he's going to stick you and take what you got. Why? He's bored and/or he's broke.

The moral of the story is that Occam's Razor can get you killed. Father William of Ockham was a franciscan friar who spent a lot of time in a church in the 14th century. Sometimes the world's out to get you for no good reason. It's better to be prepared than go with the "simplest explanation" of no one's coming to get you. Then you're going with the simple explanation of you just got your ace handed to you.

As a football player, can you imagine going with Occam's Razor? Run action going right, you step right, because that's the simplest explanation for run action right. Crap. You just got hosed by a counter. Way to go.

/rant

Comment

• Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
              I love how people throw out Occam's Razor. To me, it's stupid. If you're walking down the street by yourself in downtown Denver at night and you make eye-contact with someone...he keeps going and you keep going...Occam's Razor says "that's a guy just passing you on the street". But reality is, he might've just slipped down the alley to get ahead of you cuz he's going to stick you and take what you got. Why? He's bored and/or he's broke.

The moral of the story is that Occam's Razor can get you killed. Father William of Ockham was a franciscan friar who spent a lot of time in a church in the 14th century. Sometimes the world's out to get you for no good reason. It's better to be prepared than go with the "simplest explanation" of no one's coming to get you. Then you're going with the simple explanation of you just got your ace handed to you.

As a football player, can you imagine going with Occam's Razor? Run action going right, you step right, because that's the simplest explanation for run action right. Crap. You just got hosed by a counter. Way to go.

/rant
              :thumb:

But it's a fancy catchphrase that's even been in movies so it must be correct all the time!

That said, in this particular case, I believe Fox has been doing what he feels is best for the team. I don't believe contracts played a part or continue to play a part in who starts and who sits.

If Tebow gets pulled it will be due to play, not contacts.

Comment

/rant
                lol, ranty!.

You should be using probability to determine whether or not you're going to get shanked by everyone that passes you in LoDo, not formal logic. Then you can spend your time worrying about getting smeared by a SUV on the I70 instead.

Comment

/rant
                  You're mistaking Occam's Razor for some sort of unpreparedness strawman.

Allow me to explain:

The more assumptions you make, the higher the chances for error. Occam's Razor in basic terms means that it's bad to rely on assumptions - so use as few of them as possible.

Imagine if you believed the opposite of Occam's Razor, i.e. you always went with the hypotheses that had the most assumptions. Here's how the world would look for you,

In the first scenario, you'd attack the man walking by because you'd assume him to be a murderer alien lizard from space on a mission to kill you and the president. In the second scenario, you'd always run left on run action right, getting you benched rather quickly.

You can still prepare for aliens, counters, and any other hypotheses. Occam's Razor is just a way to determine which of those hypotheses is most likely to be correct.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
                  Last edited by Blart; 11-01-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Allow me to explain:

The more assumptions you make, the higher the chances for error. Occam's Razor means it's better to rely more on facts than assumptions.

Imagine if you believed the opposite of Occam's Razor, i.e. you always went with the hypotheses that had the most assumptions. Here's how the world would look for you,

In the first scenario, you'd attack the man walking by because you'd assume him to be a murderer alien lizard from space on a mission to kill you and the president. In the second scenario, you'd always run left on run action right, getting you benched rather quickly.

Occam's Razor is a good principle and I suggest you read a bit more,
                    Ummmmm, what????

Interesting stuff but talk about a tangent.
                    sigpic

Comment

• the whole thread is a tangent now that the giant conspiracy theory about Tebow's contract went down like the Hindenburg. Oh the humanity!

Comment

Allow me to explain:

The more assumptions you make, the higher the chances for error. Occam's Razor in basic terms means that it's bad to rely on assumptions - so use as few of them as possible.

You can still prepare for aliens, counters, and any other hypotheses. Occam's Razor is just a way to determine which of those hypotheses is most likely to be correct.
                        Well played :thumb:
                        Hoping for a defensive-minded head coach and a return to the ZBS on offense. At the very least, no more cheaters for head coach.

Comment

Working...
                        X