Mindfield's QB Crystal Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindfield's QB Crystal Ball

John Elway and John Fox do not have the QB they want to lead the Broncos in 2012 and beyond on their roster right now, period.

Not Orton, not Tebow and not Brady Quinn.

With their contracts expiring after this season, Orton and Quinn will be allowed to walk in free agency, and Tim Tebow will be shopped for a trade. Failing that, I expect the Broncos to flat out release Tebow to stop once and for all the divisive nature of his presence on the roster.

While it is not necessarily Tebow's fault that he is so popular, he definitely does embrace his hero worship, and with that, he becomes a huge distraction for the Broncos since his followers will settle for nothing less than his starting at QB, whether he deserves it or not.

I suspect Tebow (and maybe even Brady Quinn) will get their chances to play this season, and maybe sooner rather than later. I just don't see the Broncos winning any of their next three games, and with a 1-4 start, it will be hard to make the argument that Kyle Orton gives you a better chance to win anything more than Tebow or Quinn. The fans will protest and call for Orton's benching, and eventually, Elway and Co. will have to give in.

At that point, Tim Tebow will have to be lights out, or it won't matter, because EFX will get rid of him just to get rid themselves of the sideshow he has become.

So who's next?

The obvious answer would be to draft Stanford's Andrew Luck next spring...but while the Broncos are a bad football team, they probably won't end up as the worst team in the league, making Luck and unlikely solution.

My guess is Elway will make a play for disgruntled Cincinnati Benglas QB Carson Palmer. I believe the Bengals will be willing to trade Palmer before next April's draft, as it looks like Andy Dalton is going to establish himself as their QB of the present and future.

The other alternatives would be to draft Oklahoma's Landry Jones, or possibly USC's Matt Barkley (who would be my choice after Luck).

But I make Carson Palmer the favorite because he will have had a year to rest his body and still has gas in the tank, so you could make the argument he will be rejuvenated, and still be at the peak of his career, and the Broncos could get him at a discounted cost, compensation wise.

The majority of Bronco fans dislike Orton, and the empty seats you saw at Mile High last Sunday will only increase as the Broncos continue to lose games while Orton continues to play.

So the good news for the Tebow freaks is your boy will get his shot at some point this season...what he does with it is another matter altogether.
    Last edited by MindField; 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM.

You had me right up until you mentioned trading for Palmer. That's alright, I knew it would be entertaining before I opened the thread.
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
      You had me right up until you mentioned trading for Palmer. That's alright, I knew it would be entertaining before I opened the thread.
      The alternatives could be to gamble on say Matt Flynn from Green Bay as a free agent, or simply drafting a rookie to play in year one.

I don't think trading for Palmer would preclude them from drafting say Barkley, who probably would not be ready to play right away.

Palmer would become another bridge to the future, because I don't think Elway will want to look at three consecutive losing seasons in a row, but I could be wrong.
      Last edited by MindField; 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Not bad, but no way we trade for Palmer...

Comment

What if Orton stays .500 or better till he gets hurt
          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by MindField View Post
            The alternatives could be to gamble on say Matt Flynn from Green Bay, or simply drafting a rookie to play.
            Or just letting Tebow have a shot and see what he could do.

:thumb:

Comment

You lost me at trading Tebow and more importantly his 'divisive' nature.

A) Orton is the divisive force on this team. His comments last year are the epitome of divisive.

B). How divisive was Tebow when he was lined up at WR?

C). To trade Tebow you would have to create value in him by playing him. As of now, nobody knows what TT is and the Broncos aren't playing him.

No team would trade for a QB they suspect the team would simply release anyway. Finally, this is a legaue that values players who are multi-dimensional and can do different things. Tebow fits that bill.

This team wont let a player go when they have three decent picks and cash invested in him. TT will be here at least through next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                Or just letting Tebow have a shot and see what he could do.

:thumb:
                I think Tebow WILL get his shot this season, but I don't believe he is going to have much latitude, especially with the success of Cam Newton.

Tebow is going to have to be pretty good right away to earn and keep the job, IMO.

But I do think he will get his chance.
                Last edited by MindField; 09-21-2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
                  You lost me at trading Tebow and more importantly his 'divisive' nature.

A) Orton is the divisive force on this team. His comments last year are the epitome of divisive.

B). How divisive was Tebow when he was lined up at WR?

C). To trade Tebow you would have to create value in him by playing him. As of now, nobody knows what TT is and the Broncos aren't playing him.

No team would trade for a QB they suspect the team would simply release anyway. Finally, this is a legaue that values players who are multi-dimensional and can do different things. Tebow fits that bill.

This team wont let a player go when they have three decent picks and cash invested in him. TT will be here at least through next season.
                  It's more about Tebow's 'fans'....their funding of the downtown billboards, etc, is a distraction to the team, and if there is one thing teams hate, it is a distraction.

Comment

I'd like to think Tebow stays in Denver

Comment

I think Tebow WILL get his shot this season, but I don't believe he is going to have much latitude, especially with the success of Cam Newton.

Tebow is going to have to be pretty good right away to earn and keep the job, IMO.
                      Hmm, partially true.

Well, it's highly unlikely we re-sign Orton and/or Quinn, so they could give him the job. But a lot depends if we take a QB in the upcoming draft. If we don't, then he's probably safe for next year, if we do, probably gone.

But we did trade a lot for him, so it would be pretty stupid to get rid of him without even seeing what he can/could do.

Me personally i'd rather draft a defensive player, and keep adding talent to that side of the ball and see what TT can do. Like adding Coples with DOOM/Miller would give us an incredible pass rush.

Comment

John Elway and John Fox do not have the QB they want to lead the Broncos in 2012 and beyond on their roster right now, period.

Not Orton, not Tebow and not Brady Quinn.

With their contracts expiring after this season, Orton and Quinn will be allowed to walk in free agency, and Tim Tebow will be shopped for a trade. Failing that, I expect the Broncos to flat out release Tebow to stop once and for all the divisive nature of his presence on the roster.

While it is not necessarily Tebow's fault that he is so popular . .
                        Yeah, football execs hate having wildly popular players. Then they have to deal with ticket sales and jersey sales, and all the revenues that come from that source. You're right.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                          What if Orton stays .500 or better till he gets hurt
                          I still say he's gone.

He can't extend or make plays on the move...he is very limited in what he can create, and no one knows this more than Elway.

Not to mention the fact that he is and will always be seen by alot of Broncos fans as the guy thrown in for Cutler, and is obviously tied to McDaniels, perhaps the most hated figure in Denver Broncos history.

Plus, I don't think we are in any danger of playing .500 ball....this team just is not very good, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by fightinglee View Post
                            Yeah, football execs hate having wildly popular players. Then they have to deal with ticket sales and jersey sales, and all the revenues that come from that source. You're right.
                            All of that doesn't matter if Tebow can't play, and he hasn't shown that he can yet.

His popularity will only last as long as he can prove he can get it done on the field, otherwise he becomes nothing more than a novalty.

But again, I believe his chance is coming.

Comment

I don't understand the Palmer signing. We might as well keep Orton -almost

If we go with a vet next season it'll be Orton -otherwise it'll be Tebow or a rook is my hope and guess

I think Orton would need to win 9 or 10 games to have a chance to stay in Denver -I'd hope and guess

and even then, it's be a shorter contract extension

Comment

Working...
                              X