Batted pass for INT...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batted pass for INT...

Hi Mike. I've noticed a disturbing trend that no one seems to be talking about. Doesn't it seem like Orton has passes deflected at the line of scrimmage more than any other quarterback in the league? And, it seems like it's always on a big third-down play. I swear he must get passes batted down by defensive linemen at least three times per game. Is this my imagination or a real problem that Kyle and his coaches need to address?
    ---Andy, Syracuse, N.Y.

Ding, ding, ding! Andy, you win top mailbag question to date in the 2011 season. Your question sent me to my personal research department. Guess what? Orton has had an NFL-most seven passes deflected by defensive linemen at the line of scrimmage through three games.

Next is Cleveland's Colt McCoy with six. San Diego's Philip Rivers (who has a low arm release) has five. St. Louis' Sam Bradford and A.J. Feeley have combined for five. The Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger and Washington's Rex Grossman each have four, and Tennessee's Matt Hasselbeck has three. The other 24 quarterbacks have two or less passes batted at the line.

There have been 65 passes broken up by defensive linemen this year. Orton's passes account for 10.8 percent of that total.

I have some theories about the cause. One, because the defense knows Orton is not going to escape the pocket, defensive linemen are coached to push as far as they can and then make sure they get their arms up. Two, especially in the Tennessee game, when he had four passes broken up at the line, Orton threw a ton of dump passes. Shorter passes have a lower trajectory than medium-range passes

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_18980841

Thoughts?

Where you at Neckbeard?
    Last edited by 91bronco; 09-27-2011, 09:49 AM.

Batted passes at the LOS. Cutler used to be notorious for this (before the excessive amount of INT'S).

Bad technique or bad luck?

Comment

Nice find suprised Brees isn't on there since he is short, but I guess good QB's find lanes to throw through

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
        Nice find suprised Brees isn't on there since he is short, but I guess good QB's find lanes to throw through
        Which would lead one to believe it is more about technique IMO.

Comment

Reading comprehension...

"I have some theories about the cause. One, because the defense knows Orton is not going to escape the pocket, defensive linemen are coached to push as far as they can and then make sure they get their arms up."

Brees is very mobile. That answers your query.

We all know Orton is a brittle statue. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if he had a quick release like Manning, Brees, or Marino~

Comment

It's crazy because he's 6'4" and has a pretty high release...
            Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.
            sigpic

Comment

Heck even Tavaris Jackson and Luke McCown aren't on there. And our guy "Mr. Best Chance to Win" leads the pack :thumb:
              #swapping

Comment

I'm not shockd one bit to see he leads the league in that category.

Comment

Originally posted by DoomTrooper View Post
                  It's crazy because he's 6'4" and has a pretty high release...
                  Damn. Orton is 6'4"? I always pictured him as about 5'6", 160lbs. The kind of guy that you just want to bounce on your knee & tickle.

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                    Heck even Tavaris Jackson and Luke McCown aren't on there. And our guy "Mr. Best Chance to Win" leads the pack :thumb:
                    But to be fair they have a run game they live off of.

Adopted Broncos:
                    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                    Adopted posters:
                    Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by The Irish View Post
                      Damn. Orton is 6'4"? I always pictured him as about 5'6", 160lbs. The kind of guy that you just want to bounce on your knee & tickle.
                      Bouncing guys on your knee and tickling is usually something you should keep to yourself...
                      Lifetime Broncos/Cowboys fan.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                        Reading comprehension...

"I have some theories about the cause. One, because the defense knows Orton is not going to escape the pocket, defensive linemen are coached to push as far as they can and then make sure they get their arms up."

Brees is very mobile. That answers your query.

We all know Orton is a brittle statue. Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if he had a quick release like Manning, Brees, or Marino~
                        O and before you reading comprehension me that quote you quoted wasn't on the original post it was edited in and I didn't go to the site I read what he had posted. But finding a throwing lane are need alot of his batted passes are just bad heck I saw a few from Hasselback who threw side arm to avoid a batted pass Orton doesn't.

Adopted Broncos:
                        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                        Adopted posters:
                        Everyone

Comment

Actually, it has nothing to do with that. Brees tends to loft a lot of his passes because he's so short. He also has about a 10x better line. Oh, and better receivers. OH, and he's been playing for the same coach for the last several years, with the same offensive scheme.

But none of that matters.
                          In Manning I trust.

Comment

I'm not going to take credit for this (found it on the Mane) but it answered a question I was too lazy to research myself.

Was the the batted pass just bad luck or is Orton at fault? I had an inkling it was Orton because it was not the first pass to be batted down during the game. As I stated earlier, it reminded me of Cutler in his 1st and 2nd year.

I suppose where I am going with this is is that it was not just a great play by the Dlineman, it is something that opposing teams see as a weakness in Ortons play. It's technique.

How do the Orton supporters respond to this?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
                              Actually, it has nothing to do with that. Brees tends to loft a lot of his passes because he's so short. He also has about a 10x better line. Oh, and better receivers. OH, and he's been playing for the same coach for the last several years, with the same offensive scheme.

But none of that matters.
                              You're right Moose. Brees isn't even a good QB. He's just getting help from all the same factors that are making poor Orton look bad. It's just dumb luck, one way or the other!

Comment

Working...
                              X