ESPN Rookie Watch: Von Miller #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Rookie Watch: Von Miller #1

1.*Von Miller, Broncos LB (first round, No. 2)

Miller is the best rookie in the NFL right now, and the competition isn't even close. He continued to shine last week against the Titans.

2.*Cam Newton, Panthers QB (first round, No. 1)

In awful weather conditions, his numbers did not approach what he did in his first two starts, but Newton earned his first win as a starting quarterback. Newton also is already proving to be an excellent deep passer, and Carolina has made its running game an afterthought.

3.*Denarius Moore, Raiders WR (fifth round, No. 148)

Moore often did battle with Darrelle Revis on Sunday. But he still found a way to make his presence felt with a run for a touchdown late in the game on a reverse. This guy is a big-time playmaker.

4.*Phillip Taylor, Browns DT (first round, No. 21)

Taylor had another sack in Week 3. Known as and built like a run-stuffer, he brings much more than that to the Browns' defense. He certainly isn't in this class yet, but he has some striking similarities to B.J. Raji -- and that is extremely high praise.

5.*Daniel Thomas, Dolphins RB (second round, No. 62)

Thomas has put together back-to-back impressive games. The job is his now.

6.*A.J. Green, Bengals WR (first round, No. 4)

After a fantastic Week 2, Green and the entire Bengals' passing game dropped off considerably against the 49ers. With a rookie behind center, there are sure to be plenty of ups and downs during this season. I can't say I am particularly worried about this young man, though. He has special talents.

7.*Ryan Kerrigan, Redskins LB (first round, No. 16)

Kerrigan often squared off against Tyron Smith, another very impressive rookie, Monday night. The Cowboys' offense was stricken with key injuries, but Kerrigan & Co. were stifling for the majority of the evening. The rookie edge player stood out once again.

8.*Mason Foster, Buccaneers LB (third round, No. 84)

Foster is playing every down now and wearing the headset in his helmet. Those are huge strides for a rookie linebacker in his third start. He is also extremely productive.

9.*Mike Pouncey, Dolphins C (first round, No. 15)

Like his brother a year ago, Pouncey has exploded on the scene at center. He has done a very nice job of opening holes on interior runs and isn't a liability in protection.

10.*Julio Jones, Falcons WR (first round, No. 6)

Jones started the season slowly and started Sunday's game slowly. But he emerged and went more than 100 yards receiving against the Bucs. Immensely talented but still very much a work in progress, Jones should have an up-and-down rookie season -- with some very high peaks.

Other notables: J.J. Watt, Texans DE; Mark Ingram, Saints RB; Marcell Dareus, Bills DT; Jabaal Sheard, Browns DE; Tyron Smith, Cowboys OT; Adrian Clayborn, Buccaneers DE; Randall Cobb, Packers WR; Drake Nevis, Colts DT.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/...-featured-back

These rankings change week to week and this is the 2nd week he's #1.

Keep doing your thing Von! Win DROY!
    Last edited by one5beast; 09-27-2011, 07:15 PM.

i got kerrigan #1 actually so far
    sigpic

Comment

From what I've seen so far this year I think the Defensive ROY award is between Miller & Kerrigan. I've been really impressed with both of them. Long season of course, but so far the kid has been everything I was hoping/thinking he would be. As for Kerrigan, that guy looks like a friggin beast on the field. Washington's D has the potential to be dominant in the near future.

Comment

Miller has been pretty much the only play making on the defense. However he has not been the best rookie. Cam Newton has been much better. He plays the most important position and has the biggest impact on the game over any other rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
          As do I. I have Von at 2.

Comment

sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

and i have kerrigan right after nick fairley
              Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

In awful weather conditions, his numbers did not approach what he did in his first two starts, but Newton earned his first win as a starting quarterback. Newton also is already proving to be an excellent deep passer, and Carolina has made its running game an afterthought.

Sorry...off topic. I just find it funny that once Fox is gone a new coach comes in with a throw first mentality. Back to topic, I think it's a toss up between Kerrigan and Miller. Both are contenders for DROY. If Cam keeps it up, he has got OROY locked up.

Comment

Von is easily the best rookie in the NFL and isn't close, ESPN hit the nail o. The head here.

Anyone thar says Kerrigan is even half the player Von is hasn't paid much attention to either's games, and are being too easily wooed by kerrigans INT. Play by play Von may be the best 4-3 OLB in the NFL over the last three weeks.. he's on a complete other level no other rookie has ever touched. He's making the league his -

Comment

Not even close after 3 weeks. Von is ahead by miles.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by broncooojohnson View Post
                      and i have kerrigan right after nick fairley
                      is nick that guy on the couch with liuget playing madden 12? lol
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Incomplete84 View Post

Sorry...off topic. I just find it funny that once Fox is gone a new coach comes in with a throw first mentality. Back to topic, I think it's a toss up between Kerrigan and Miller. Both are contenders for DROY. If Cam keeps it up, he has got OROY locked up.
                        Cam Newton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jimmy Clausen

Cam Newton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Matt Moore

How is Miller ahead by so far according to everyone. I guess everyone hasn't watched Cam Newton play.

Comment

Miller has been as advertised so far, i'd say DROY is between him and Kerrigan who looks real impressive.

Comment

One thing I will say that helps Von's case, an hurts Kerrigan's. Von has been playing with no other pass rush threat because of
                            Doom's injury. Kerrigan plays across from Osackpo.

Either way both look like excellent players.

Surprised how quiet Pat Pete's been as a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                              Miller has been as advertised so far, i'd say DROY is between him and Kerrigan who looks real impressive.
                              Definitely. His first NFL play he caused a fumble that we recovered only to have our offense squander it against the Riaders. Thats our season in a nutshell.

Comment

Working...
                              X