What was it like back in the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was it like back in the day

For people who have been following the Broncos since Elway started, are there any parallels between Elway starting his career and Tebow starting here. How hard was it for Elway to get going early on and did he have the fan support that Tebow does?

I was only 10 when he started his career, so I don't have a lot of in-depth memory of the criticisms and praises that he received from the media. Of course, the media then was a completely different entity than it is now. It was nowhere near the ravenous beast that it is now, bleeding every story as long as possible in hopes of filling 24 hours of airtime with inane banter between has-been players and never-were sports nerds. Naturally, the internet didn't exist, so there weren't rabid fans like us at each others' throats 24-7 over what we each think is the right decision for the team. I'm sure had he played now, he would have been subjected to a lot of scrutiny that he wasn't for having played then.

I do know that he was hyped a lot, and every Broncos fan I knew (including me, of course) was excited that he was our QB. However, I also remember watching some games and wanting to break the family's 19" Magnavox after Elway tried too hard to make a play and wound up throwing a stupid pick or fumbling. I do remember screaming at the TV that he was ruining the Broncos, only to be enamored with him when he would win the game. He went through the same thing most young QBs go through, he just didn't do it under as intense a microscope.

I think Elway also came into a far more stable situation and was playing for the coach who wanted him. There wasn't as much turmoil in the organization as there is now. The disarray doesn't help Tebow's situation any.

Comment

Actually Elway was very polarizing and very controversial - deja vu

Elway showed flashes of brilliance, but he was inconsistent and his judgement was highly suspect at the time - Frankly Elway stank it up his first season and the fan base was up in arms, split down the middle on whether he was a bust or not.

Comment

The game has changed but Elway had plenty of growing pains. Heck, I remember how Reeves wanted to trade him!!!

All we can do is give Tebow a legitimate chance and see how he develops- if not, so be it. Media is way more of a pressure now so Elways transition isn't exactly apples to apples. I fear he may have been run out of town though

Comment

Originally posted by 91bronco View Post
          The game has changed but Elway had plenty of growing pains. Heck, I remember how Reeves wanted to trade him!!!

All we can do is give Tebow a legitimate chance and see how he develops- if not, so be it. Media is way more of a pressure now so Elways transition isn't exactly apples to apples. I fear he may have been run out of town though
          I agree. Elway never would have survived if today's media/fan impatience was in play then.
          11/22/11

Comment

I remember thinking we would ALWAYS win that week! Back in HS my friends and I couldnt believe the 10-0+ starts to a season. It was like we were unstoppable. I was class of 1999 so HS was fun for me as a fan.

I have missed that feeling.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
            Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
            Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
            Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
            I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Comment

Elway had the heat on him from all the hype before he was drafted. He refused to go to Indy. So the Broncos traded for him, and the price to Indy was steep. When he came to Denver, he was the starter from that time forward.
              There is no doubt he had some rough games early on. I don't recall his completion percentage, but for the first year it was fairly low.
              But as I remember so fondly was his competitiveness. If the Broncos lost, it wasn't by much.
              One of my most fondest memories from hie rookie year was against the Raiders. The Raiders were just blowing up the Bronco O-Line and Elway didn't have enough time to take two steps back. Finally, he dropped back two steps only to see Howey Long blasting through again when Elway threw his signature "fastball" right into Howey's face mask. That was a funny thing of beauty to behold.
              As an answer to the posters question, there are some similarities.
              What I do know about Tebow is that he has been a champion at every level he has "competed" at. In that, I would say he is most like Elway.

Comment

Originally posted by kingpins9 View Post
                I agree. Elway never would have survived if today's media/fan impatience was in play then.
                I disagree. Elway had more pressure than players have today.

When Elway entered the NFL, he was the most hyped college player of all time.

And, when he refused to play for the Colts almost all of the NFL players hated him. Back then, you played for the team that drafted you and when Elway refused, the rest of the NFL players hated him.

Add in Elway came into the NFL as the highest paid player in the league and the rest of the NFL put a big target on Elway's back. Every team he played wanted to knock him out of the game. They were throwing every scheme at him they could and he took a real beating that first year.

What made it even worse was that Dan Marino was having a great rookie year, so many fans where wondering why Marino was good and Elway was struggling.

But we still saw flashes of great talent, plus Steve Deberg bailed the team out a time or two, so our record was still decent, easing some of the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                  I disagree. Elway had more pressure than players have today.

When Elway entered the NFL, he was the most hyped college player of all time.

And, when he refused to play for the Colts almost all of the NFL players hated him. Back then, you played for the team that drafted you and when Elway refused, the rest of the NFL players hated him.

Add in Elway came into the NFL as the highest paid player in the league and the rest of the NFL put a big target on Elway's back. Every team he played wanted to knock him out of the game. They were throwing every scheme at him they could and he took a real beating that first year.

What made it even worse was that Dan Marino was having a great rookie year, so many fans where wondering why Marino was good and Elway was struggling.

But we still saw flashes of great talent, plus Steve Deberg bailed the team out a time or two, so our record was still decent, easing some of the pressure.
                  Not that Dan Reeves was a bad coach but I think it shows how important having the RIGHT coach is. The invention of free agency and how to use it was huge as well. Elway didn't have many weapons for years too.

A different era and a different game- I can see some parallels though.

Comment

There was plenty of controversy around Elway.

One of the biggest knocks on him for years was his trouble with the touch pass. He seemed to overthrow often when it came to those. Actually, he wasn't the most accurate passer in his early years at all.

But...like Tebow...he extends plays. On 3rd and long, the fans were excited to see what he could do. Scrambling QBs in that day were much rarer, so we Bronco fans had an exciting factor in Elway that most other teams didn't enjoy.

I certainly remember days where Elway had his off-days and the crowd would chant "Ku-bi-ak! Ku-bi-ak!"

Remember, in Elway's rookie season he once lined up under guard instead of center. Can you imagine the anti-Tebow flames from the haters if Tebow did that?

Comment

*edit* Opinion retracted
                      Last edited by Trench777; 10-11-2011, 05:57 PM.
                      "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

I was in Denver

for John's rookie year he had a terrible first year. Teams threw every blitz in the book at him and really seemed to make him look like the hype was all that just hype.

I agree with the fact that he did show moments of brilliance but there came a time when he was actually benched at one point in favor of Deberg.

The thing is John never gave up he kept learning and giving everything he had. Much like Tim does.

The similarities are kind of eerie both QB's hate to lose, and will play lights out to try for the win. John had trouble with the touch passes like someone else said, but he had that problem for years. He only knew to throw the ball hard using his rifle arm. I don't remember when he got the touch pass down but I do remember that an announcer even mentioned it during one game. That Elway had now mastered the touch pass.
                        People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iggyb View Post
                          There was plenty of controversy around Elway.

One of the biggest knocks on him for years was his trouble with the touch pass. He seemed to overthrow often when it came to those. Actually, he wasn't the most accurate passer in his early years at all.

But...like Tebow...he extends plays. On 3rd and long, the fans were excited to see what he could do. Scrambling QBs in that day were much rarer, so we Bronco fans had an exciting factor in Elway that most other teams didn't enjoy.

I certainly remember days where Elway had his off-days and the crowd would chant "Ku-bi-ak! Ku-bi-ak!"

Remember, in Elway's rookie season he once lined up under guard instead of center. Can you imagine the anti-Tebow flames from the haters if Tebow did that?

He threw the short ball way too hard as well. Good memory- I remember hearing this as a kid. Brings back the memories....

Comment

There are alot more parallels than even Elway would admit, but he was a 54%completion guy for the majority of his careeer, and made more big plays with his feet improvising than his arm, especially early in his career, just like Tebow.

Not saying Tebow is the next Elway, but I watched every game of Elway's career, and he was not always the great thrower he eventually became, and he could be maddeningly inaccurate at times as well.

If you don't want to compare Tebow with Elway, fine, I would then compare him to Jake Plummer, another player who supposedly could not throw from the pocket. Yet all he did was go something like 39-18 as a starting QB here, with three consecutive ten win seasons, including winning the only playoff game of the last decade and took us to our last AFC Championship game.

Comment

There are a few small similarities between the two, but overall they're vastly different.

When Elway came out of college, he was perceived as the most NFL ready quarterback to come out of college, perhaps ever. There was no controversy over his mechanics, his ability to understand complicated offenses, his ability to read defenses, his ability to hold onto the ball, his accuracy, his throwing motion, the speed of his throws, or any of the other critiques we've heard about Tebow.

We heard that he was arrogant (and he was), and that because of that he would be uncoachable (and there may have been some truth to that for a long time, I don't really know for sure).

But there was never a question about his physical ability, mental ability, or whether or not he could make it big in the NFL.

It just wasn't debated, because he was the most talented quarterback to come out in decades, if not ever.

Tebow is controversial for different reasons.

Some of them are related to his abilities; throwing motion, ability to read a defense, understanding complicated offenses, making reads, taking the snap, and so on.

Tebow also largely instigated a lot of the controversy himself when he took up a public stance on a very volatile political issue in a very public way while he was still in college.

He made his religious views public domain when he took a very public stance based on them at some very significant events. He chose to put himself on the cover of a heated political and religious issue, and there's are natural consequences (some good and some bad) for making that choice.

Beyond that, we have the Internet now.

When Elway was coming into the league we had newspapers and the nightly news. The people that watched or read these items were mostly older. Their responses are typically more well-tempered, their understanding more broad, their patience greater, and their civility more refined.

The Internet has a different consumer. Most users on the Internet tend to be younger. When speaking on the Internet there is no journalist plus an editor to filter through the remarks made off-hand. In today's media, a person just posts what they want. Thus we get a much more raw version of what we used to, and as such it's not filtered for quality or content in very many ways.

We've seen controversy before. We've not seen this exact type of controversy however.

The Elway controversy was over his arrogance, not his ability. It was over his coachability, not his mechanics. It was over his rebellious nature (when it came out), not his ability to understand the offense or read the defense.

They were both controversial. That's what they have in common. That's where the commonality ends however. Why they were both controversial is for pretty much entirely opposite reasons.

Elway was pretty controversial - being such a highly touted college prospect who then had to perform to that standard.

Tebow is a different animal entirely, and he's a different animal for entirely different reasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X