4th Quarter Defense must improve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Quarter Defense must improve

When the game is on the line late in the game our defense can't make a stop to save their lives. It's like they can hang close but in the very most clutch situations they fail & i'll point out what i mean.

1. against the Raiders: we just scored to make it 23-20 with just under 4:00 to play & everybody & their mother knows they will run the ball to try to run the clock out. So what happens? Well our D gives up 2 first downs on nothing but running plays & that's the end of the game. fail

2. against the Titans: leading 14-10 about mid 4th qtr. & after pinning them deep with a good punt + a penalty they were at the 5 yard line, so they must go 95 yards for the lead. Well guess what happened? Yep they go down the field in just 7 plays & take the lead with less than 5 minutes to play. fail

See a patteren here yet?

3. against the Chargers: We just scored but failed on the 2 point att. so we are down 26-24 with just under 4:00 to play again (sounds familiar) Just get a stop D & let your offense have a chance, but what happens? Oh yeah once again the D allows a couple first downs & eventually a fg to put us down 29-24 & now there is only 24 seconds remaining. You can't realistically anything to happen in that amount of time. fail

You can try to blame the offense all you want for not doing enough but right there are 3 examples of late gametime situations where the defense could not get the job done when it mattered the most & either get a stop so the offense had a shot or just get a stop to close a game out.

They did manage to succeed once at this against the bengals but even that was so very close to another failure with the game on the line. It just seems like we have nobody that can step up & make a play when we need it most. Don't get me wrong here, i'm not saying it's all the defense fault we lost but i'm just pointing out how they fail when it counts most. We all pointed out orton's failures in those situations but the D is no better.

Most people had expected some good things from the defense & alot of improvement from last year & while i'll agree we are not as bad as last year we are not far from it. We are 23rd in total defense & 29th in points against, that is not much improvement at all. I used to think it was poor coaching but now i'm not sure it's more lack of talent because we have some good defensive minds coaching & the results are nearly the same.

I would think we should continue to go heavy on the defense in the draft yet again next year until we fix the poor defense we have.
    sigpic

they allowed 6 points in that half... give them a break.

they were on the field for 40 freaking minutes!

Comment

I thought our D did a great job keeping us in the game yesterday. If not for a ridiculous penalty call they might not have even gotten in position to kick the second FG.

Way to be a crucial deciding factor in the game ref's! :thumb:
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
        they allowed 6 points in that half... give them a break.

they were on the field for 40 freaking minutes!
        They did not get it done when it matters the most!! Stop making excuses
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
          I thought our D did a great job keeping us in the game yesterday. If not for a ridiculous penalty call they might not have even gotten in position to kick the second FG.

Way to be a crucial deciding factor in the game ref's! :thumb:
          Really? How many games would you expect to win when you allow 29 points?
          sigpic

Comment

I would agree that our defense has not improved enough to make us a playoff contender. I agree that we have a lack of talent on defense. I also agree that we should concentrate heavily on the defense in the upcoming draft to improve that area. But I don't think the late game problems are 100% on the defense. The best defense is a good offense and we don't have one of those either. The defense spends too much time on the field and by the fourth quarter they are too tired. You can't lose time of possession by a 2-1 margin and have a rested defense.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
              They did not get it done when it matters the most!! Stop making excuses
              lol it always matters... so you are saying its okay to allow 50 points in the first 3 quarters as long as they shut them down in the 4th???

Comment

Really? How many games would you expect to win when you allow 29 points?
                You didn't say anything about the total defense. You said 4th quarter defense. And in the 4th we allowed one fg. That's pretty good if you ask me. And the reason they got in fg range is because of the 15 yard penalty on DJ.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
                  lol it always matters... so you are saying its okay to allow 50 points in the first 3 quarters as long as they shut them down in the 4th???
                  What i'm saying is when it's a situation where they can't get a stop to give the offense a chance to win & then the game is over, so then to your point what good would it do if the D has a shutout going but allows a td to win the game, they failed!

Why is it ok to say orton chokes in those end of game situations but the defense gets a pass because they are probably tired? give me a break, man up & get a stop, we say ayers cause a fumble just minutes earlier, guess he wasn't tired just yet?
                  sigpic

Comment

What i'm saying is when it's a situation where they can't get a stop to give the offense a chance to win & then the game is over, so then to your point what good would it do if the D has a shutout going but allows a td to win the game, they failed!

Why is it ok to say orton chokes in those end of game situations but the defense gets a pass because they are probably tired? give me a break, man up & get a stop, we say ayers cause a fumble just minutes earlier, guess he wasn't tired just yet?
                    Well when one player loses his cool and commits a 15 yard penalty it is kind of hard to stop an offense like the Chargers. That penalty kind of sealed our fate for that game. You can't give teams extra chances like that. But other than the penalty the D played great in the 4th.
                    sigpic

Comment

Through the first half SD got a score on every possession aside from the INT. Through the second half they got 6 points. Criticising them under the logic that "they couldn't get it done when it matters" is applicable throughout the entire game, really. If they'd stopped the Chargers at any point in the first half we might've been able to come back at the end, and wouldn't have had to rely on holding them even further than we already were later. I really don't think you've thought this point through in relation to the game we just watched.

Oh, and I find it hard to criticise a unit dealing with a 2:1 ratio of TOP. They must've been dying out there. You can't ask your defense - especially a rebuilding defense - to hold back the tide all day while the offense does absolutely nothing for 60 minutes.
                      sigpic
                      - ★ -
                      2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Originally posted by KnoMo#27 View Post
                        Well when one player loses his cool and commits a 15 yard penalty it is kind of hard to stop an offense like the Chargers. That penalty kind of sealed our fate for that game. You can't give teams extra chances like that. But other than the penalty the D played great in the 4th.
                        I agree the penalty killed us but at that point the chargers already got one first down & we will never know if they get another or not because of the penalty but it was gonna be like 3rd & 4.

All i'm trying to say is they can't seem to get that stop to get the offense the ball back for a shot at the win. At some point the excuses have to stop. The titans game & the raiders game the time of possesion was almost even so what's the excuse there?
                        sigpic

Comment

I hate to make excuses for anyone but it's hard to play at a high level when your offense can't do jack to stay on the field. I think they have been playing great for how little talent they had for most part of the season. Hell even with Doom and Champ in we still lack any kind of depth or talent besides them.

Comment

The titans game & the raiders game the time of possesion was almost even so what's the excuse there?
                            That the offense had more chances to put the game away than the defense did. Which unit should we really be criticising? We should have, and could have, scored more points in both games. The fact that our defense isn't awful is a positive step - but to think we should already be relying on them to win games at this point in the rebuilding process is just ridiculous.

They've done enough to keep us in games, which is all we can ask for right now. Our offense has not returned the favour.
                            sigpic
                            - ★ -
                            2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

I agree the penalty killed us but at that point the chargers already got one first down & we will never know if they get another or not because of the penalty but it was gonna be like 3rd & 4.

All i'm trying to say is they can't seem to get that stop to get the offense the ball back for a shot at the win. At some point the excuses have to stop. The titans game & the raiders game the time of possesion was almost even so what's the excuse there?
                              Do you realize that our best defensive players where during those games and we still held them to 23 and 17 points. Face it. Orton was not clutch when he had the ball in the 4th and either turned it over or went 3 and out. That tends to tire out a defense because they don't have the time to rest. But Tebow seems to be a clutch player and knows how to actually pick op first downs when the game is on the line.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X