No announcement yet.

4th Quarter Defense must improve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok then everybody agrees the D is too tired to stop anybody in the final minutes & it's all because of the offense. Case closed

Mods close this thread please
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
      Really? How many games would you expect to win when you allow 29 points?
      Well, I'd be happy if my D could keep them under 30 if my offense was an on going 3 and out punch line.

The offense was on the field for about 10 minutes in the first half.....yes, ten minutes, and the majority of the blame is on the offense for that laid egg.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Ok then everybody agrees the D is too tired to stop anybody in the final minutes & it's all because of the offense. Case closed

Mods close this thread please
        The 4th quarter defense only allowed 3 points.

The first and second quarter defense is what needed work against SD
        Adopted 2010 Bronco: Chris Kuper
        Adopted 2011 Bronco: Brian Dawkins

Comment

Really? How many games would you expect to win when you allow 29 points?
          Broncos played relatively well in the 4th, but lets not forget that Tolbert and Matthews were out for a lot of the 2nd half....that seriously limited the chargers on what they could run. I really expected a stop on that last drive, but give the chargers (and the refs) credit, they made good plays when they had to.

Defensive play calling comes into it alot as well. We sent the house and we didn't get to Rivers in time. Floyd made us pay and then a bad penalty or call.

Just need to get better.
          “4th quarter comebacks means a guy screwed up in the first three quarters.” ~Peyton

Comment

When the game is on the line late in the game our defense can't make a stop to save their lives. It's like they can hang close but in the very most clutch situations they fail & i'll point out what i mean.

1. against the Raiders: we just scored to make it 23-20 with just under 4:00 to play & everybody & their mother knows they will run the ball to try to run the clock out. So what happens? Well our D gives up 2 first downs on nothing but running plays & that's the end of the game. fail

2. against the Titans: leading 14-10 about mid 4th qtr. & after pinning them deep with a good punt + a penalty they were at the 5 yard line, so they must go 95 yards for the lead. Well guess what happened? Yep they go down the field in just 7 plays & take the lead with less than 5 minutes to play. fail

See a patteren here yet?

3. against the Chargers: We just scored but failed on the 2 point att. so we are down 26-24 with just under 4:00 to play again (sounds familiar) Just get a stop D & let your offense have a chance, but what happens? Oh yeah once again the D allows a couple first downs & eventually a fg to put us down 29-24 & now there is only 24 seconds remaining. You can't realistically anything to happen in that amount of time. fail

You can try to blame the offense all you want for not doing enough but right there are 3 examples of late gametime situations where the defense could not get the job done when it mattered the most & either get a stop so the offense had a shot or just get a stop to close a game out.

They did manage to succeed once at this against the bengals but even that was so very close to another failure with the game on the line. It just seems like we have nobody that can step up & make a play when we need it most. Don't get me wrong here, i'm not saying it's all the defense fault we lost but i'm just pointing out how they fail when it counts most. We all pointed out orton's failures in those situations but the D is no better.

Most people had expected some good things from the defense & alot of improvement from last year & while i'll agree we are not as bad as last year we are not far from it. We are 23rd in total defense & 29th in points against, that is not much improvement at all. I used to think it was poor coaching but now i'm not sure it's more lack of talent because we have some good defensive minds coaching & the results are nearly the same.

I would think we should continue to go heavy on the defense in the draft yet again next year until we fix the poor defense we have.
            Absolutely the D needs to continue to improve. For the entire game, not just 1 quarter.

We also still need a lot of depth, and does anyone doubt we still need quality starting DT?

Right now our biggest need on D, is to do much better against the run, especially on first and second downs.

IMO we just dont have the talent yet to really field a quality defense. What we have no is clearly miles ahead from last year....but still has a long ways to go.
            Last edited by MH Stampede; 10-10-2011, 11:44 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X