Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wesley woodyard > D.J. Williams

Thats all. Discuss.

edit: ill elaborate in the first post instead of a reply because i should have from the beginning. I love DJ, or have, but over this year and last it seems to me that his play has taken a downward turn. He's still able to rack up the tackles, as can be seen by his multiple 100+ tackle seasons, but i ask you, when was the last time you saw him get a tackle that effected the course of the game, or even just the current drive. In my opinion he has become the king of the meaningless tackle. He'll stop the receiver or running back, but its after they managed to pick up 5 or 6 yards, or after they get a first down. You can see that he would have been able to stop them earlier if he took a better angle, or read the play quicker but he manages to do that rarely. His coverage as well leaves a lot to be wanted, often falling behind his man, or not picking up the play quick enough. He has all the physical talent in the world, but doesn't seem to want to put in the work to become better on the mental side.

Woodyard has also been racking up the tackles this year, but, unlike DJ, I see him make multiple plays a game where he gets to the ball carrier quickly, or cuts across the entire field to make the tackle. He makes plays that could change the outcome of the game. For example in the chargers game in the first half there was one tackle where he was to only one who could make it, and he stops the defender before he gets the first down. Its been a long time since I've seen DJ make a play like that. I would also consider WW to be our best coverage linebacker, an asset that is needed in the passing intensive league were seeing this year.

DJ could be an amazing player, but it seems to me that his play hasn't improved since the first few years he was here, a possible sign that he is trying to rely on pure physical talent instead of putting in the work on the mental side. WW played extremely well in my opinion when he got the opportunity to start, and that should be rewarded. I won't even go into the amount of money that the Broncos are paying DJ.

Hope thats enough of an explanation for ya, sSync, i really did need to have one.
    Last edited by Orangeflux; 10-15-2011, 01:52 AM.

2010 Adopted Bronco Jason Hunter
    Official Member of the Loyalty Initiative

No, he's not better than DJ. You're wrong.

(Since you didn't elaborate on your opinion I don't see why I need to on mine.)

sigpic
    - ★ -
    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

yeah not better but a good replacement
      sigpic
      oakland raders gm
      latavis murray trade bait

Comment

You are nuts, DJ is way better than Woodyard but he is pretty solid
        sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

I have wanted Wesley to start for a long time now. Told by many he will never be a starter and doesn't weigh enough and all that typical bs that is said about smaller guys.

Wesley is a beast and I would prefer him start over DJ right now.

DJ if he could net us a 3rd round pick would be worth it. We also have Irving waiting and IMO is more of a WILL than a MIKE and with Mays it would allow us to develop Irving as the backup. And Mario Haggan is a very valuable player to have as a backup. Veteran and versatile. He should be re-signed.

Trade DJ for a 3rd if possible.

That would be a starting linebacker crew of Miller who is 22 years old. Joe Mays who is 26 years old. Wesley Woodyard who is 25 years old.

That is a great group for the future.

Comment

i would perfer both them on the feild with DJ playing the mike positions
            sigpic
            oakland raders gm
            latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I'd honestly prefer to see Woodyard start at this point, he was solid in DJ's abscence.

The only problem then being you have another big contract guy on the bench, unless you can offload him before the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                i would perfer both them on the feild with DJ playing the mike positions
                Mays ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
                  The only problem then being you have another big contract guy on the bench, unless you can offload him before the deadline.
                  Good point...Even though I don't expect DJ to play out the duration of his contract with the Broncos he still has two years left... It will be interesting to see what the Broncos do with Woodyard considering he is a ufa at the end this year ....

I some cases addition by subtraction works but as it applies to the op I don't believe so.... DJ no matter how he is viewed or how we rank him amongst the other LB's is still one of the best players the Broncos have on defense and a defense that's struggling to recover from the endless stigma of being the worst ... Allowed 140 points (28.0/g), 30th trying to find individual heroics and subtracting one player because of another does not sound like a good way to make the defense better ...

Both DJ and Woodyard received ample amount of snaps last week ... DJ had 9 tackles and a sack ... bench him ... Not trying to take anything from Woodyard because I definitely like what I'm seeing from him .... But I'm not trying to take anything away from DJ either ...
                  Last edited by LarryDean; 10-15-2011, 04:07 AM.
                  :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

He's better than a DJ Williams who recently dislocated his elbow.

When both healthy, DJ Williams is better.
                    Denver Broncos Fan from UK

Comment

you guys are nuts yes woodyard is doing well filing in but there is no way he is better
                      sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

I always believed DJ wasnt underrated, i never saw anything special about him because i dont ever recall him making a game changing play since he been here with the exception of the Dallas game, a couple years ago when he laid a big smack on Roy Williams separating him from the ball on a third and long play. I think a lot of you look at stats and claim a player is good based off stats. He is not an unreplaceable player. There is nothing special about DJ williams. There are sooo many linebackers in the league that are better than him. Dj williams isnt even a top 10 backer, and never has been other wise he would have been a probowler, and i dont want to here anything about the team he is on and a popularity constest because other Broncos have been making probowls, on this same garbage team for years.

Wesley Woodyard is playing much better ball that Williams has the past 3 seasons. You can tally up tackles all you want, but when i see Williams play, it gets annoying to see him run in the wrong gap running into blockers and cant ever shed the blocks and backs run right by him, he is always easily ran out of the play when he has a blocker on him. All his tackles are down field without no one blocking him.. he doesnt cause fumbles, get sacks ever other game, pick up fumbles, does he even have 1 defensive TD yet in his ling career yet? I dont recall. Never gets game changing Ints, or any Ints for that matter. Doesnt make any big 3rd or 4th and short stops. He doesnt do any of that, and if those of you say he does you need to stop being in denial, and stop lyinf to yourself.

Woodyard right now is a better backer, and when i said during the preseason when DJ went down that if Woodyard plays well its gone be hell for DJ to keep Woodyard from taking his reps. As you can see now on passing downs DJ is moved to the middle replacing Mays, and Woodyard is weakside. Thats not a compliment to Williams but one to Woodyard because the coaches are now finding ways of getting Woodyard on the field by any means necessary.

Comment

He's not better......

Comment

DJ is the better, more complete LB.

That said, the dropoff to Woodyard isn't so great that Denver should overlook opportunities to get better elsewhere.

I would hate to see DJ go though. I feel he is one of the players that makes the defense better when he is on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by sSync View Post
                              No, he's not better than DJ. You're wrong.

(Since you didn't elaborate on your opinion I don't see why I need to on mine.)

I think what he is saying is Woodyard tackles are more impactfull in a game than DJs.Woodyard would be more the Ray Lewis type and Williams tackles are not game changing plays.

I have to look into it more to see if DJ can cause turnovers or stop RBs completely with dominating force.

Comment

Working...
                              X