Robert Ayers - - Better than you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Ayers - - Better than you think

Ayers may not have the flashiest of stats and highlights, but he is certainly starting to come on. I love this guys commitment to being a Bronco. He moved his mom and brother out here so that he could live here year round and train at altitude. If you follow him on twitter, he is always shouting out to us, the Broncos Fans and thanking us for our support. He is slowly emerging into one of my favorites because this guy wants to be a Bronco and he wants to win for us.

Here is a great article on how he is having a better year after moving back to his natural position: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19117741
    Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Broncos' Robert Ayers feels comfortable at end
    Sack of Rivers indicative of improved play

By Lindsay H. Jones
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 10/15/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Out of the corner of his eye, Robert Ayers could see Philip Rivers trying to step up into the pocket, preparing to make a throw downfield.

Ayers spun counterclockwise, disengaging from guard Louis Vasquez's block, getting his right arm free. Ayers knew Rivers had stepped too far forward for him to make a tackle, so he took a swing at Rivers' right arm.

Strip, sack, turnover, and perhaps just a start of things to come from the former first-round draft pick.

"That play, it was a snapshot of what he can do," Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil said

Ayers is perhaps the most overlooked, yet over-criticized, piece of the Broncos' defensive front that includes Dumervil, the 2009 NFL sack leader, and No. 2 overall pick Von Miller, who has five sacks this season. Ayers' fourth-quarter sack on Rivers in last Sunday's 29-24 loss to San Diego was his first this season, bringing his career total to 2 1/2.

"I put more pressure on myself than I think other people do. So I don't think there is pressure of being a first-round pick — you'll hear that, or hear people say things to you, but I try to either block it out or use it as motivation," Ayers said.

"If I can help the team win, and do my job, all the accolades or whatever, they'll come."

The Broncos drafted Ayers at No. 18 overall in 2009, hoping he would turn into a pass rushing force at outside linebacker after a standout senior year at Tennessee.

But he started only 14 games for the Vols and had a slow transition from collegiate defensive end to NFL outside linebacker, the position he played in 2009 and 2010 under former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. Ayers played primarily on passing downs as a rookie.

Last season, after moving into a starting, three-down role, Ayers showed improvement both as a pass rusher, with 1 1/2 sacks in the first two games, and as a run defender before breaking a bone in his foot, an injury that forced him to miss five games. He returned to play in the final six games, but he was not completely healthy.

"It was frustrating," Ayers said. "It bothered me last year, but this year is a whole new year."

Ayers rededicated himself in the offseason. He got married, moved his mother and younger brother to Denver and stayed here throughout the spring and summer, working out with a local trainer during the NFL lockout. He wanted to live and train at altitude and be near the Broncos' facility when the lockout ended. On the brief lockout reprieve in April, Ayers was among the first players into the building to pick up a playbook and meet with the Broncos' new defensive coaching staff.

When the team finally reconvened in late July, teammates saw a different player than the wide-eyed and, at times, immature player they had come to know.

"I think he's more hungry. He's open to learning now, he's more at a natural position," Dumervil said. "His top priority is he wants to learn. He's asking a lot of questions, he's learning the game more. The game is starting to slow down for him, and I think that's why he's been having a good year so far."

The return to defensive end has certainly helped. Ayers, 6-foot-3, 274 pounds, said he feels more comfortable back at the position he played in college. His stats show it, with 14 total tackles through five games, the most of any full-time defensive lineman. He also has two tackles for a loss, one pass breakup, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

"I'm still learning, working on a lot of things to get better," Ayers said. "I'm still trying to assert myself, be more aggressive and make more plays. But it's all coming along."
    Remember: If you dont feed the trolls - they will go away! Neither logic nor a compelling argument will make a difference.

Comment

Thanks, great read!

Comment

Great read, he's slowly coming along.

Is he worth where he was picked, no, but he's still improving, and one of our better players vs the run. He won the game for us vs Cincy, and made some big plays vs SD.

He's a solid player, can't have superstars at every spot.

Comment

He's never gonna be the 12+ sack a year guy. But he's great in run defense, and gets a lot of pressures. He's one of the few guys that we don't need to replace. Solid starter.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
            Great read, he's slowly coming along.

Is he worth where he was picked, no, but he's still improving, and one of our better players vs the run. He won the game for us vs Cincy, and made some big plays vs SD.

He's a solid player, can't have superstars at every spot.
            If he continues to develop, he may still be worth where he was picked.

I'm pulling for the guy... I hate having Broncos fail.... plus it makes one more position where we only need depth, not just new starters.

I really hope he works out and well.

Comment

Ayers has been very good this season and IMO was very good before getting hurt last season. The problem from fan's POV is that he doesn't get a lot of pressure on the QB, but that's not really his game. He's really good against the run and playing assignment football, unfortunately there are a lot of fans who think if a DE doesn't rack up sacks then he must suck.

Ayers only comes out something like 3 or 4 plays a game, that's what I heard on the radio anyway, that should tell us something.

Comment

Love his humble disposition. One of the cool things is that he seems to care more about his responsibilities than his personal stats.
                The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Good read....he is coming along....But he is still a below avg player still......Just not sure he will ever live up to the hype
                  Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

This will sound like heresy, but Ayers IMO has been more productive on the line than Doom has so far this year.

No, I'm not saying that Ayers IS better than Doom. In fact, they have different strengths (Doom a better edge rusher and Ayers a better run defender). But looking at the numbers, Ayers has been a pleasant surprise this year while Doom has been a little disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                      If he continues to develop, he may still be worth where he was picked.

I'm pulling for the guy... I hate having Broncos fail.... plus it makes one more position where we only need depth, not just new starters.

I really hope he works out and well.
                      Eh, i mean for who we passed up, imagine having Clay Matthews, Doom, and Miller, talk about a pass rush...

Same here, sometimes you gotta have the solid role players who do the little things instead of the flashy players.

He's doing well, he seems like a good guy too, so i'm pulling for him too, and i've been one his supporters for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                        Love his humble disposition. One of the cool things is that he seems to care more about his responsibilities than his personal stats.
                        That's true. He has also done a better job this year of holding contain and setting the edge. It is a thankless job that doesnt show up in the stats, but we all know what happens when a defense end fails to do it.

Comment

hes 77 ovr on madden now haha
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorCrush View Post
                            hes 77 ovr on madden now haha
                            What did he start at?

Comment

Originally posted by Pratama View Post
                              What did he start at?
                              73 or 74 I believe
                              Denver Broncos GM
                              Originally posted by Mosk
                              Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Working...
                              X