Why John Elway was the GOAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why John Elway was the GOAT

I was thinking about this throughout my day and I realized why John Elway was so great. It wasn't only his back to back superbowl Lombardi Trophies that he won that made him great. It wasn't just his Do-or-die mentality that made him so great. It wasn't merely his long ball and his amazing deep balls or the Drive.

No. You take John Elway off of any one of those Broncos teams (except for the later teams with Terrell Davis and Atwater etc.) and you have the Indianapolis Colts. You have a team that can't win a single game. But worse than that, those teams would have been blown out without Elway imo. We would have seen games like 7-35 or 0-24.

This in my opinion is why John Elway is the GOAT. Joe Montana's team was loaded. His 49ers team was like the modern day New England Patriots. Just a very good team all around. You take John Elway off of those early Broncos teams and they would have flat out stank. Just my :2cents:
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

The Broncos were not stacked, but the wouldn't have been winless.

They still had some very good players. Mecklenberg, Atwater, Dennis Smith, just to name a few.

I doubt they would have made the playoffs, but they wouldn't have been doormats.

But Elway is the GOAT for many reasons. Including lifting otherwise mediocre at best teams to superbowl appearing teams

Comment

There were so many future HOF'ers on SB 32/33 teams, that its not even funny.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
        The Broncos were not stacked, but the wouldn't have been winless.

They still had some very good players. Mecklenberg, Atwater, Dennis Smith, just to name a few.

I doubt they would have made the playoffs, but they wouldn't have been doormats.

But Elway is the GOAT for many reasons. Including lifting otherwise mediocre at best teams to superbowl appearing teams
        I heard though that those early Broncos teams that John Elway played on they were just terrible.

Granted I wasn't around during that time (I think I was like 2 years old ) but from what I heard those teams were like the modern Indianapolis Colts.
        sigpic

Comment

Ask any die hard football fan to name 3 players on the 80's Broncos Super Bowl teams, and my guess is 90% of them cant do it.

Sammy Winder? Vance Johnson? Mark Jackson? Clarence Kay? Simon Fletcher? Dennis Smith?

I'm guessing that they say something like John Elway, and, ummmmm.... Karl Mecklenberg?

Now ask that same person who was on the 80's 49ers teams, and I guarantee you they can name at least 7. I could easily name a dozen.

Couple the fact that our 80's teams had essentially nobody that were incredibly memorable with the fact that Elway was handcuffed by Reeves for the prime of his career with go nowhere run-first play calling, and you have the recipe as to why I believe that John Elway is the greatest quarterback of all time.

Put Elway on that Niners team in the 80's and he has 5 rings before he is 32 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            There were so many future HOF'ers on SB 32/33 teams, that its not even funny.
            That's why I said "Except for the later teams with players like Terrell Davis and Atwater" etc.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phaytal View Post
              Ask any die hard football fan to name 3 players on the 80's Broncos Super Bowl teams, and my guess is 90% of them cant do it.

Sammy Winder? Vance Johnson? Mark Jackson? Clarence Kay? Simon Fletcher? Dennis Smith?

I'm guessing that they say something like John Elway, and, ummmmm.... Karl Mecklenberg?

Now ask that same person who was on the 80's 49ers teams, and I guarantee you they can name at least 7. I could easily name a dozen.

Couple the fact that our 80's teams had essentially nobody that were incredibly memorable with the fact that Elway was handcuffed by Reeves for the prime of his career with go nowhere run-first play calling, and you have the recipe as to why I believe that John Elway is the greatest quarterback of all time.

Put Elway on that Niners team in the 80's and he has 5 rings before he is 32 years old.
              Great post. I completely agree.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Exactly. This is exactly how I feel lol.
                sigpic

Comment

We would not have been blown out but allot of those 4th qtr comebacks would have turned into close losses
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Even more importantly, is this question.

I am NOT comparing Elway and Tebow. But ponder this for a moment:

If John was so great, why did he need 40+ comebacks?

Now, don't twist what I'm saying into "John Elway really sucks" because that's NOT what I'm saying.

Just think about that for a minute.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Now, don't twist what I'm saying into "John Elway really sucks" because that's NOT what I'm saying.

I think something about that desire to win came on and he was able to make things click at that last moment. John Elway was a comeback machine. Just ask the Cleveland Browns.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
                        I heard though that those early Broncos teams that John Elway played on they were just terrible.

Granted I wasn't around during that time (I think I was like 2 years old ) but from what I heard those teams were like the modern Indianapolis Colts.
                        Oh they were not great teams by any means, but they were not Indianapolis Colts bad.

5-6 win teams at best.

Comment

At least 80% of Elway's comebacks were because Reeves ran, and ran, and ran, and ran. The the fourth quarter would roll around and there we are, down by double digits.

Finally Reeves would take the shackles off the let Elway be the amazing quarterback that he was. Elway would have had 65,000+ yards under a guy like Bill Walsh, and he would have very few comeback wins.

Comment

At least 80% of Elway's comebacks were because Reeves ran, and ran, and ran, and ran. The the fourth quarter would roll around and there we are, down by double digits.

Finally Reeves would take the shackles off the let Elway be the amazing quarterback that he was. Elway would have had 65,000+ yards under a guy like Bill Walsh, and he would have very few comeback wins.
                            Really makes us wonder what could have been.

Creepy similarities to how last weeks game went down. Run run run run, crap we're losing, 5 minutes left, pass pass pass pass.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                              Oh they were not great teams by any means, but they were not Indianapolis Colts bad.

5-6 win teams at best.
                              Aw okay I'll take your word for it lol. I wasn't there my first memory (what made me want to learn how to play football anyway) was watching Jake the Snake take us to the AFCC. Now that guy was a winner.

Missing the Snake.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X