Why John Elway was the GOAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaytal View Post
    Ask any die hard football fan to name 3 players on the 80's Broncos Super Bowl teams, and my guess is 90% of them cant do it.

Sammy Winder? Vance Johnson? Mark Jackson? Clarence Kay? Simon Fletcher? Dennis Smith?

I'm guessing that they say something like John Elway, and, ummmmm.... Karl Mecklenberg?

Now ask that same person who was on the 80's 49ers teams, and I guarantee you they can name at least 7. I could easily name a dozen.

Couple the fact that our 80's teams had essentially nobody that were incredibly memorable with the fact that Elway was handcuffed by Reeves for the prime of his career with go nowhere run-first play calling, and you have the recipe as to why I believe that John Elway is the greatest quarterback of all time.

Put Elway on that Niners team in the 80's and he has 5 rings before he is 32 years old.
    I dunno some of elways worst performances were on the biggest stage. You can say he didn't have the pieces but HE made the mistakes early on.
    2016 AFC WEST CHAMPIONS: STATED WEEK 7 SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS

Comment

Originally posted by super_boltz View Post
      I dunno some of elways worst performances were on the biggest stage. You can say he didn't have the pieces but HE made the mistakes early on.
      One way to explain that is a young QB trying to do everything himself with not much help around him.
      2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

montana is the GOAT

undefeated in superbowls

never threw a sb int
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
          montana is the GOAT

undefeated in superbowls

never threw a sb int
          Again a better supporting cast. Suppose Phillip Rivers got injured in pre-season and you guys had to put Volek in for the entire season. What would your record be?
          sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Throwing around a phrase such as "Greatest of All Time" implies that there is no subjectivity. Further, your inclusion of "All Time" implies all of NFL History. Otherwise, it would not be "All Time".

I will provide evidence that he is not the 'Greatest of All Time' using a specific criteria.

As an NFL starter, Otto Graham's record was: 105-17-4.

That is, he won 105 games, lost only 17 games, and tied in 4 games. In his six seasons of playing football, he won the NFL Title half the time. That winning percentage as well as him being the reigning NFL Champion half of his career, is unheard of. Feats that no QB will ever match.
            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
              Throwing around a phrase such as "Greatest of All Time" implies that there is no subjectivity. Further, your inclusion of "All Time" implies all of NFL History. Otherwise, it would not be "All Time".

I will provide evidence that he is not the 'Greatest of All Time' using a specific criteria.

As an NFL starter, Otto Graham's record was: 105-17-4.

That is, he won 105 games, lost only 17 games, and tied in 4 games. In his six seasons of playing football, he won the NFL Title half the time. That winning percentage as well as him being the reigning NFL Champion half of his career, is unheard of. Feats that no QB will ever match.
              Jim Brown's name should also be mentioned.
              sigpic
              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                Jim Brown's name should also be mentioned.
                Absolutely, but I figured I would just stick with quarterbacks. That way there is an even playing field.
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Working...
                X