Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defensive Alignments

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I also think the Broncos have used some interesting alignments on the defensive side of the ball. I love how we move Miller around.
    When preseason was drawing to a close, I posted a thread about the Broncos and their different defensive alignments under Dennis Allen.

The best definition of a "hybrid" defense I have heard is being able to line up in different alignments with no personnel changes. Comes in handy against hurry-up/no-huddle offenses.

This is possible for the Broncos because of Von Miller. I would have to go back and find that thread/post to refresh my memory, but as I recall it also involved the versatility of Elvis Dumervil and Robert Ayers.

I think I figured out they could show 4-3, 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-2-5 and Double Eagle/Bear. Did you notice the Broncos showing Double Eagle/Bear at San Diego? Allen's concoctions go way beyond those basic alignments now. He's a mad scientist on the defensive sdie of the LOS.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

So, against the Vikings.

Were the vikings too geared up to stop the run, or were they really that bad in the secondary. Or both?

Comment

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
        So, against the Vikings.

Were the vikings too geared up to stop the run, or were they really that bad in the secondary. Or both?
        The Vikings respected the Bronco rushing attack so much, including Option, that they committed eight to the box.

Because of the threat of Option, those eight box defenders had assignments.

I have read some posts saying that Tebow was successful passing, especially to Demaryius Thomas, because of blown coverages. The coverages can be called blown, if you like, but with eight in the box and assignment defense, there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do besides cover 1, 2 and 3.

It's a cause and effect relationship. Commit to stop the run requires personnel. You only have eleven defenders. I felt all along that Tebow's passing would improve and that passing would win some games.

This approach is on the right track to becoming a major problem for opposing defenses. It's a three-headed monster: non-Option run game; Option run game; and, passing attack including short ball control and deep, vertical threat.

Being able to run effectively from direct snap/shotgun formations is a major football breakthrough in the NFL.

I haven't broken down yesterday's offensive formations and plays yet. When I do, they will be posted in GD as "Broncos O @ Minnesota 12-4-11"

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          The Vikings respected the Bronco rushing attack so much, including Option, that they committed eight to the box.

Because of the threat of Option, those eight box defenders had assignments.

I have read some posts saying that Tebow was successful passing, especially to Demaryius Thomas, because of blown coverages. The coverages can be called blown, if you like, but with eight in the box and assignment defense, there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do besides cover 1, 2 and 3.

It's a cause and effect relationship. Commit to stop the run requires personnel. You only have eleven defenders. I felt all along that Tebow's passing would improve and that passing would win some games.

This approach is on the right track to becoming a major problem for opposing defenses. It's a three-headed monster: non-Option run game; Option run game; and, passing attack including short ball control and deep, vertical threat.

Being able to run effectively from direct snap/shotgun formations is a major football breakthrough in the NFL.

I haven't broken down yesterday's offensive formations and plays yet. When I do, they will be posted in GD as "Broncos O @ Minnesota 12-4-11"
          The Vikings placed 8 in the box all day yesterday in order to stop the rushing game of Denver, it worked early on. The defense was sporting a cover two defense for the most part with 2 deep safeties. The coverages were blown because of a couple of things. First and foremost the vikings defensive backs played undisciplined coverage when they read Tim's eyes i suspect they knew Tim's reputation wasn't high when it came to reading the defense and therefore didn't play sound assignments. The next factor was the excellent play calling in the passing game the squeezed the safeties to commit to a receiver especially on deep routes. The vertical routes that the bronco recievers ran forced both the safeties and tebow to make a decision and on most of the cases the safeties chose wrong and Tim exploited the mistakes every time. Later on in the game the defense played less aggressive against the run and thats where willis picked up huge chunks of yards. Moving forward, we see that Tim is capable of reading defenses well enough that he should be able to earn the confidence in his OC to raise the pass attempts to around 25 and max out at 30 this will force a defense to play the broncos honest on both the run and the pass which means if they favor one or the other the broncos offense will burn them up big time.

Comment

I havn't watched the game yet but am looking forward to replay this afternoon.

I'll look for the things SAM and T15T posted. From the look of things I am expecting the same run/pass ratio as the Minn game and likely the same game plan. The Bears and Minn are similar teams.
            sigpic

Comment

Offensive gameplan prediction vs the bears?

I expect a fair amount of PAP and running out of the spread.

Comment

Da Bears

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
                Offensive gameplan prediction vs the bears?

I expect a fair amount of PAP and running out of the spread.
                The Bears' DC has a major scouting problem preparing for the Broncos.

Do they prepare for Option which was almost non-existent against the Vikings? The Broncos ran Option 27 times against the Chargers, a season high.

The Broncos only ran Option four times at Minnesota, but they did PAP off of Option action an equal number of times, for a total of 38 yards and a TD.

At this point in the season, the bag of plays the Broncos have is sufficient to deal with any contingency as long as they don't grab bag it.
                Last edited by samparnell; 12-09-2011, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Just re-watched the offense from the Vikings game and on the 3rd down pass to Demaryius Thomas which he could of caught I really dislike the play design. It has been talked about before and it has been a regular occurance on 3rd downs this year. 3 straight go routes. Very tough to convert on that.

Also on the play the Vikings bring 8 guys. The Safety comes down pre snap late and blitzes. So it is man to man on the 3 receivers and 8 rushing Tebow. Do you think Tebow has enough control to change a route in that instance to adjust to where the blitz is coming from. If he saw the safety come down to blitz late the slot where Decker is lined up the corner is 7-8 yards off of him. Could of got an easy completion for a first down on a slant in that example.

Comment

Working...
                  X