How many QBs would still be around if they were judged after 5 starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many QBs would still be around if they were judged after 5 starts

Want to see people's opinions but I plan on doing extensive research and adding it later so be aware numbers are coming.

How many QBs would have their career over if they were judged on 5 starts?

Go ahead...start making guesses because I already know a couple HoFers who probably would have been out of the NFL if they were judged in their first five starts.

This is not exactly an support Tebow thread. This is a "we are going to have to show patience no matter which young QB we decide to play" thread.

(research to be placed here when it is done)
    Let's Ride!

Can people really not see the difference between a promising QB having youthful struggles and a QB with no real QB skills?

Comment

Originally posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
      Can people really not see the difference between a promising QB having youthful struggles and a QB with no real QB skills?
      At one time people said the exact same thing about Steve Young
      Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
        At one time people said the exact same thing about Steve Young
        Steve Young found himself in an incredible situation in San Francisco.

Again, these comparisons make absolutely no sense. One example or even a handful of examples does not mean Tebow will eventually make it as a dominant NFL quarterback. There are plenty more examples going the other way that indicate Tebow won't make it.

As I said, this is a SKILL SET problem not an experience problem.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
          Steve Young found himself in an incredible situation in San Francisco.

Again, these comparisons make absolutely no sense. One example or even a handful of examples does not mean Tebow will eventually make it as a dominant NFL quarterback. There are plenty more examples going the other way that indicate Tebow won't make it.

As I said, this is a SKILL SET problem not an experience problem.

People said the exact same thing about Steve Young before Bill Walsh got a hold of him.

Shoot some people even thought basically the same thing about Rodgers before he changed his mechanics.

Sometimes coaches need to earn their pay too.

Look I do not know if Tebow can or can not play in the NFL. All I am saying is nearly EVERY young QB looks bad in their first few starts.

Anyone who thinks we are going to draft a QB and all the sudden he is gonna light things up with this team is being about as unrealistic as it gets.
          Let's Ride!

Comment

STOP using the 5 STARTS as a excuse. It has nothing to do with the fact that he has only started 5 games. Cam Newton was good his first start. Ponder for Minnesota, Dalton for Cincy both are performing well with only a few starts under their belt.

Comment

People said the exact same thing about Steve Young before Bill Walsh got a hold of him.

Shoot some people even thought basically the same thing about Rodgers before he changed his mechanics.

Sometimes coaches need to earn their pay too.

Look I do not know if Tebow can or can not play in the NFL. All I am saying is nearly EVERY young QB looks bad in their first few starts.

Anyone who thinks we are going to draft a QB and all the sudden he is gonna light things up with this team is being about as unrealistic as it gets.
              Young and Rodgers played behind two of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history for years before they got their chance.

Those circumstances will not exist for Tim Tebow here. As I said, I just don't think he has the accuracy or skill set to be an NFL quarterback, and I think if he eventually finds success it won't be in a Broncos uniform, because I don't see him turning it around this season.
              sigpic

Comment

Want to see people's opinions but I plan on doing extensive research and adding it later so be aware numbers are coming.

How many QBs would have their career over if they were judged on 5 starts?
                http://www.nfl.com/player/johnelway/...gs?season=1983

Comment

Cam Newton went out and got a team to make himself into a better QB, that is what Tebow needed to do and he has not.
                  sigpic

Comment

Brady Quinn was benched after 6 starts.

Jimmy Claussen after 3.

Brian Brohm had only 2 starts in 3 seasons.

Kevin Kolb lost his starting spot in Philly after 4 starts.

It doesn't always take a full season to figure out that a QB just isn't working out...
                    "That's a crap question."
                    - Kyle Orton

Comment

Originally posted by BRINGBAKPLUMMER View Post
                      apparently you can't. you still seem to confuse QB struggles with poor team performance.
                      KO is Da Man!!! always knew he had it in him. :orton:

Comment

if we are making our long term plans around tebow becoming the next elway or young, we are in more trouble than I thought. those are the expections, not the rule. want to compare QBs that went from bad to great to the list of QBs that went from bad to unemployed? And let's be clear, this isn't the old NFL. Passing is king. Guys routinely come in and perform well early in their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by brandon8978 View Post
                          STOP using the 5 STARTS as a excuse. It has nothing to do with the fact that he has only started 5 games. Cam Newton was good his first start. Ponder for Minnesota, Dalton for Cincy both are performing well with only a few starts under their belt.
                          Okay can we use teams then???? lets do a group by group position comparison then

Position ------- CAR ------- MIN ----- CIN
                          WR ------------- X -------maybe ---- maybe
                          RB -------------- X --------- X ------- X
                          OL -------------- X --------- X ------- X

D --------------- X ----------X--------X

As you can see all three QB's you listed as more talent around them then Denver has. Denver as a team is Depleted of talent and it shows. The place we have the most talent??? Our kickers that isn't good.

Adopted Broncos:
                          (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                          (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                          (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                          Adopted posters:
                          Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by brandon8978 View Post
                            Yes....because every QB comes out of college and instantly performs...your blind if you really think that's the rule and not the exception to it.

Look Tebow has flat out sucked and I don't expect him to be our QB next year unless he can suddenly realize he plays QB and start acting like one but to point to the QB's this season who instantly play well....thats ludicrious.

Regardless of what anyone else has done Tebow has only had 5 starts....Payton Manning was HORRID after 5 starts, in his first season or two people were trying to run Elway out of town he was so bad.....People hold Denver QB's to far too high of a standard and if they don't instantly meet that standard ship em off and bring in their backup....we're almost as bad as philly here lately.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
                              Okay can we use teams then???? lets do a group by group position comparison then

Position ------- CAR ------- MIN ----- CIN
                              WR ------------- X -------maybe ---- maybe
                              RB -------------- X --------- X ------- X
                              OL -------------- X --------- X ------- X

D --------------- X ----------X--------X

As you can see all three QB's you listed as more talent around them then Denver has. Denver as a team is Depleted of talent and it shows. The place we have the most talent??? Our kickers that isn't good.
                              My god. Do people watch the games? Or do they just go off madden attributes? Half the panthers defense and much of their o-line is on IR and they are starting LEGEDU NAANEE at wr.

Comment

Working...
                              X