Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haven't seen any mention of this regarding Tebow's sacks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't seen any mention of this regarding Tebow's sacks....

Tebow has taken more sacks in each of the last two games than he took in all 3 of his starts last year combined. Interestingly, he took zero sacks in the 2nd half against San Diego this year. What is the cause for all these sacks? The obvious answer is "he's holding onto the ball too long", and that is part of it, but that's too easy an answer to explain everything. "Why" he's holding the ball too long is another discussion (I personally think it has a lot to do with the playcalling). I think the biggest reason he is taking drastically more sacks this year is because he is trying so hard to make a play "from the pocket" and not break off a run when things break down in the pocket, like he did last season. All the "experts" have beat on Tebow over, and over, and over again about how he needs to make plays "from the pocket" and not make so many runs from the pocket. I think he's heard all those "experts" and is doing his level best to stay in the pocket and make a passing play instead of getting a few yards with his feet when the pocket collapses. Unfortunately, that hamstrings one of his greatest strengths, his mobility and his ability to extend plays. That, in my opinion, is why he's taken so many more sacks this year. I believe it also has a LOT to do with why the 3rd down conversions have gone into the tank. The playcalling and all the 3rd and LONG downs obviously don't help, but Tebow has been doing very little "improvisational" running this year to extend the play and get a few yards instead of getting sacked and no yards or losing yards.

Everyone beat up on Orton for taking sacks instead of extending the play by running for a few yards or a first down when there was an opening. Tebow was great at that last year and had a much better 3rd down conversion rate than this year. This year, he hasn't done it very much.

Discuss?

Tebow needs to go back to being tebow make plays and do your thing tebow don't worry about making plays from the pocket. As long as you make plays peorole will be happy

Comment

There was a good analysis that showed he didn't hold the ball too long on a few of those (2 seconds max). The oline is pretty bad right now but he did hold the ball or try to make a play on at least 2 of those sacks.
      Forum "credibility" is the same as writing articles for "The Bleacher Report"

Comment

Read this analysis, and you will see it's a combination of things.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=198104

Comment

I think teams are going to bring the house and force Tebow to beat them using quick passes if he can.

Comment

It's about 1/3 Tebow holding too long.

It's about 1/3 Orlando Franklin totally failing.

It's about 1/3 ordinary sacks that would happen anyway, as this team is not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
              It's about 1/3 Tebow holding too long.

It's about 1/3 Orlando Franklin totally failing.

It's about 1/3 ordinary sacks that would happen anyway, as this team is not great.
              Franklin needs help...I was watching the Dolphin game again, and C. Wake was eating his lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by killbox916 View Post
                Franklin needs help...I was watching the Dolphin game again, and C. Wake was eating his lunch.
                It's a real shame. Tebow is struggling, but one can't help but wish he had a little bit of a clean plate to work from.

McCoy needs to add protection help to Franklin, and design a quick outlet check down for Tebow on almost every play.

Comment

Sigh. I think they have so totally screwed with Tebow's head that they have taken all the "intangibles" away from him. Tim needs to go back to being Tim and quit overthinking everything. And it sure wouldn't hurt if he would not get thrown under the bus constantly by his own FO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                    It's a real shame. Tebow is struggling, but one can't help but wish he had a little bit of a clean plate to work from.

McCoy needs to add protection help to Franklin, and design a quick outlet check down for Tebow on almost every play.
                    I agree, maybe help with the TE, or get the RBs to chip Franklin's assignment when they come out of the backfield.

Comment

In my opinion ( and i am not an expert ) I wonder why everyone finds the need for tebow to change the way he plays, i agree he needs to release the ball faster but all players have to adjust to the speed of the game at this level. but to have him change everything he does at the qb position seems rediculous to me. if it worked in college there is no reason it can't work in the nfl if you just learn to play at a faster pace.
                      My Adopted Bronco - Eddie Royal

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!” - Indian Larry

Comment

Tebow takes too long to make decisions. That's why he gets sacked so much. He holds the ball way too long. At the end of the Detroit game, he did a much better job of throwing in rhythm. That's what he needs to do more of.

Shorter drops and shorter routes with an emphasis on moving the chains instead of attacking downfield would help our O-line (especially Orlando Franklin.

But Tebow's got to be there with the read and get rid of the football. I think the team's lost some confidence in his ability to do that.

Comment

I didnt see many chances for him to really run. They are forcing him to stay in the pocket and make the throw instead of running that is why he is doing it less. If he could run im sure he would. Teams are shutting down his strengths and exploiting his weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                            I didnt see many chances for him to really run. They are forcing him to stay in the pocket and make the throw instead of running that is why he is doing it less. If he could run im sure he would. Teams are shutting down his strengths and exploiting his weaknesses.
                            And our O-coordinator is running plays into a defenses strength.

Comment

The Tebow beast has also shown itself - he is deadly out of the pocket so you contain him in it. Tebow is not good in a collapsing pocket that does not open run lanes, and you an kill him if you can contain him.

As Elway said on the Elway show - Teams are going to rush him relentlessly in the pocket until he learns to beat the rush. That is what Orton did so well especially in 2009 to BMarsh, Stokes, Gaff..

5 yard passes and bubble screens.

We need the short quick accurate passing game with major YAC. That was where McDaniels tried to use Royal as well - we need that

Comment

Working...
                              X