• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannon Sharpe: Broncos should bail on Tebow

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspeci...medium=twitter

Shannon Sharpe: Broncos should bail on $10 million Tim Tebow project
    By Patrick Saunders
    The Denver Post

Brash and bold, Shannon Sharpe is never at a loss for words. His mouth has always roared.

Sometimes it's just part of his national TV shtick. But when it comes to the Broncos, the Hall of Fame tight end and analyst for CBS Sports speaks from his heart.

So it was with great interest that I listened to Sharpe's recent comments regarding struggling quarterback Tim Tebow. It's clear Sharpe doesn't believe Tebow has the stuff to be a productive NFL quarterback, calling Tebow a "$10 million project."

Even more interesting, Sharpe said that great quarterbacks, such as John Elway, make the players around them better. That's not the case with Tebow, at least in Sharpe's view.

Speaking with Gary Miller and Vic Lombardi Thursday morning on his weekly segment on FM 102.3 "The Ticket," Sharpe was asked if he's seen enough to form an opinion about Tebow.

"Can I ask you a question, Gary?" Sharpe replied. "How many dates did you have to go on before you realized that the girl you were dating wasn't the one? Does the girl need to burn your house down? Does she need to bust your car windows out?"

Sharpe made it clear that he has nothing personal against Tebow, but he also made it clear he doesn't believe Tebow is an NFL-quality QB.

"Look, I'm not arguing whether or not he's a great guy," Sharpe said. "I'm not arguing whether or not he's a hard worker. I'm not arguing any of those facts.

"But I think in today's game, it's hard for you to play quarterback in the National Football League​ if you can't throw the ball accurately, and if you can't throw it consistently accurate."

Sharpe went on to make the point that it's perfectly fine for an NFL team to invest time and money in a "$20,000 project" like himself. Sharpe, after all, was a seventh-round draft pick.

"That's no harm, no foul," he said.

But it's altogether different when you're trying to make a starting quarterback out of a high-profile, high-cost first-round draft choice such as Tebow. For the record, Tebow will make $6.7 million this year and he has already collected $6.28 million in salary advance.

"When you spend $10 million for a home, you're not looking to add more granite, you're not looking to add hardwood floors. You are looking to move in," Sharpe said.

Miller then asked Sharpe if the time has come for Elway, the team's vice president of football operations, to "cut bait." That is, tell Broncos fans that despite all of Tebow's admirable qualities, it's time for the club to move on.

"I think that's what's going to have to happen," Sharpe said.

Next, Sharpe made his point about how great quarterbacks shape teams.

"At the end of the day, this is ultimately how you look at a quarterback and tell if he's any good or not: Does he make anybody else around him better?" Sharpe said. "The reason people constantly say that John Elway is the best to ever play the game? John Elway took a seventh-round draft pick out of Savannah State and you saw him get a (Hall of Fame) gold jacket. He took an undrafted free agent (Rod Smith) and (Smith) caught more passes for more yards and more touchdowns than any other undrafted receiver in history of the game.

"He took a sixth-round draft pick in Terrell Davis​, and Terrell Davis rushed for 2,000 yards, he was a league MVP, he was a Super Bowl MVP."

Sharpe finished his Tebow analysis with this: "A great QB is like makeup. I'm talking about the really good makeup. He can hide flaws, he can hide imperfections."

Whether you are a Tebow lover or a Tebow basher, you have to admit Sharpe made some interesting points.
    To infinity...and beyond.

Another purveyor of the anti-Tebow hyperbole. Be interested to see what he says if Tebow tears it up on Sunday. I don't suppose he mentioned at exactly what part of Elway's career he was turning other people on the team into Hall of Famer's? I'm assuming it wasn't his first year? The nearsightedness and lack of perspective is so tiring. And yep, I just compared Tebow now to Elway in his 1st 5 starts. No reason you can't make that comparison. Really, considering the "low" expectations for Tebow coming into the league, he has really been far and away better in his first 5 starts than Elway was in his first 5 starts, considering Elway was viewed as the best thing to come out of college football since sliced bread.

Comment

Well said mr. Shannon sharpe!!!!!!
      Even if Manning has to throw the ball underhand, the Broncos believe they have a better quarterback than the one who beat the Steelers in the playoffs last season.

Comment

Love Sharpe and the makup analogy. I'm willing to give Tim more time, but I can't disagree with the analysis based on what we've seen so far.

Comment

Yeah it's awesome how Sharpe can point out flaws but ignore solutions.

I get that he has earned the right to strong opinion that Tebow is a joke.

But, in his infinite wisdom, he doesn't make on suggestion about what the Broncos should do for the next 9 weeks.

It's easy to say our country is falling apart, and our leadership is corrupt and inept. It's when you try to give realistic solutions to problems that the credibility stops.
          sigpic
          In the 13 games Orton started, the Broncos scored touchdowns inside the red zone on 17 of 104 trips (one on a Tebow run). With Tebow as the starter, the Broncos scored touchdowns 6-of-8 times inside the 20.

Comment

John Elway took a seventh-round draft pick out of Savannah State and you saw him get a (Hall of Fame) gold jacket. He took an undrafted free agent (Rod Smith) and (Smith) caught more passes for more yards and more touchdowns than any other undrafted receiver in history of the game.

"He took a sixth-round draft pick in Terrell Davis​, and Terrell Davis rushed for 2,000 yards, he was a league MVP, he was a Super Bowl MVP."
            ...and he did all this is his 5th start ?

Jesus H man...it never ends w/ anybody...either side. Does Shannon make some valid points? Yes, he does. But this is exhausting those valid points to an extreme (surprise).

Sometimes I think that Tim got so much coverage while in college that people think he's been in the league for longer than he has. I don't know.

All I can add at this point is that if Tim can handle this mentally, and come out the other side w/ out turning into Ray Finkle, I'll give the kid major props.

Comment

I think the real problem is that not only did Tebow come to a town where everyone is waiting for the next Elway, but Tebow himself had so much attention coming in that now he is expected to already be playing at a high level in his 5th start in the league. People are basically expecting him to play like the #1 overall draft pick in the league. He wasn't even taken in the top 20 and some people say he should've been a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Either way, the guy should at least be given the rest of the season to start and show what he can do. It makes no sense at all to pay a young player with only 3 starts coming into his 2nd season 6 mil for the year then only let him get 3 or 4 starts and give up on him. It makes even less sense to give up on him when the 2nd and 3rd string QBs aren't even going to be with the team next year.
              2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

"Can I ask you a question, Gary?" Sharpe replied. "How many dates did you have to go on before you realized that the girl you were dating wasn't the one? Does the girl need to burn your house down? Does she need to bust your car windows out?"

Fantastic. Gotta love his way with words. And I am so tired of hearing how Elway didn't light the league on fire in his opening games. People who compare Tim Tebow with John Elway are a huge part of the reason so many people are jumping on the hater bandwagon. The reason you can't compare the two is that Elway had QB skills, Tebow has ZERO QB skills.

When fans everywhere, after an abysmal game by Tebow practically won by a special teams play, start "tebowing" all over the internet what did you expect?

Comment

You can always tell what side of the Tebow fence a poster is on when these threads pop up.

There is never any middle ground, and no one is changing their mind.

THIS is the reason Tebow must go.
                  Where is this season going?

Comment

Originally posted by ohiotebow View Post
                    Another purveyor of the anti-Tebow hyperbole. Be interested to see what he says if Tebow tears it up on Sunday. I don't suppose he mentioned at exactly what part of Elway's career he was turning other people on the team into Hall of Famer's? I'm assuming it wasn't his first year? The nearsightedness and lack of perspective is so tiring. And yep, I just compared Tebow now to Elway in his 1st 5 starts. No reason you can't make that comparison. Really, considering the "low" expectations for Tebow coming into the league, he has really been far and away better in his first 5 starts than Elway was in his first 5 starts, considering Elway was viewed as the best thing to come out of college football since sliced bread.
                    OhioTebow, can I ask when you became a Broncos fan? Was it, by chance, on April 22, 2010? Look, these comparisons between Elway and Tebow are absolutely ridiculous. There was never any question about Elway's skills, mechanics, or ability to play in the NFL. He had a cannon for an arm and was the most hyped QB to come along in years. He was considered the number one pick by everyone. Tebow, by contrast, had a ton of question marks surrounding his mechanics, his arm strength, and his ability to play the position in the NFL. Many scouts thought he would have to change positions to play in the NFL, and he was not even on some teams' draft boards. In the days leading up to the draft, you were still hearing that many considered him a fourth round pick at best. So don't tell me that Tebow's struggles in his first five starts are anything like Elway's. They're not, and anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about.

Comment

I find it interesting that some Tebow supporters are now questioning 'IF' he will tear it up from week to week. Why not "I wonder what Sharpe will say WHEN he tears it up on Sunday". It's as if everyone expects a less than stellar performance, and want to boast 'IF' he does well. Just an observation.

Comment

Originally posted by yaz96 View Post
                        You can always tell what side of the Tebow fence a poster is on when these threads pop up.

So that we have less arguing on the message board?
                        2 of the top 3 NFL QBs of all time have been Broncos

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                          I find it interesting that some Tebow supporters are now questioning 'IF' he will tear it up from week to week. Why not "I wonder what Sharpe will say WHEN he tears it up on Sunday". It's as if everyone expects a less than stellar performance, and want to boast 'IF' he does well. Just an observation.
                          This is the kind of stuff I just can't seem to wrap my head around. Why are there so many "Tebow supporters" and so many "non-Tebow supporters?" Its out of hand. You would think the point has been reached where some might stop and say, "Hey, whether I think he'll succeed or not, they are attacking the QB of my favorite team to no end." I'm not talking about justified criticism, I'm talking about the comments that turn the corner onto unrealistic blvd.

I guess it just doesn't register that way to some & I'll never understand it.
                          Last edited by Southtown; 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yaz96 View Post

I think there is a middle ground. He hasn't shown me enough but I also know that he is a young player who deserves a chance. It's his hype and following that is the most annoying. I think it's unfair to him. For that reason I think he should go to a team with an established QB that he could develop under. The Pats would have been a perfect fit.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm sick of seeing you guys compare Elway to Tebow. Stats might look close, but in reality Elway was far ahead of Tebow in every facet of the game at this point.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X