Hello....CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello....CO

I may be new to the forum, but I've been a distant bronco fan since 1984 when I was living in COS for a year. That was the year I converted from a Cowboy fan (Stauback, White, etc..) to a Bronco fan. Yes...I remember it well. I was a 25 year old single female at the time. Moved from Memphis to Colorado Springs...I knew no one in CO when I got my apartment off Academy Blvd, but once I got aquainted to some of my co-workers....there were several people that were 25 years old, single and had left their families behind to pursue their careers just as I had.

Well to go own with my story (love story)...A friend (very extreme bronco fan with season tickets) invited me to go shopping at the new mall. She said that the new Bronco quarterback was going to sign autographs. His name!....John Elway....I never heard of him, but went along for the company. We arrived at the mall to find out the line went from one end of the mall to the other with Elway sitting at a table signing autographs to every person in line. That was when I realized that this was a superstar. My friend tells me that she doesn't want to wait in line, but must...must see him...She takes me behind the ropes in back of Elway...no one was around that area, but there was a local news crew filming Elway as he signed autographs. Boy...how I thought we were doing so well to be so close to this superstar. I couldn't see his face, and neither could my friend. Her anxiety and rage started to build and build for the chance to talk to him. All of a sudden, she bursts out loudly...John Elway, I love you!!!! repeatedly with everyone's eyes on us now....the camera feeds over to us as John Elway gets up from his seat to greet her personally...I, however, get nervous and hide behind the clothes rack whispering what an idiot my new friend was. John asks who's behind the racks...and I finally come forward to meet him.....I just wanted to kill my friend! But what a memory....I've been a fan ever since...though I moved back to Memphis in 1986, I still try to catch all the games that are broadcast in Memphis which are slim to none ( we get the titans games from Nashville- but I won't get into that...)There is absolutely, positively very few bronco fans around Memphis. I'm just about to burst...so please Broncos get to the playoffs....I want to watch you play....I really want a Broncos sweatshirt for XMAS Santa!!!

Go Orange Crush!!!!

Hey Zappro

I'm new myself, so it's not really my place to welcome you to the board, but Welcome aboard! I can't believe you disowned the Cowboys! I myself was born and raised in Dallas, so I will be a die hard 'boys fan for life. I moved to the Denver area a few years back and have taken a liking to the Broncos too. Now, I root for both teams. However, if they go head to head, I've got to go with the 'boys..

Comment

Welcome zappro!!! I met John Elway for the first time that same year too!! Also had my pic taken w/him but can't seem to find it now. I met him in Denver at one of their practices, was only 16 years old at the time but was very excited!! I also met Sammy Winder, Steve Watson and Rich Carlis (had a crush on him for some reason...)

I think it's great to see fans from other states here on this m/b...

LONG LIVE THE ORANGE CRUSH!!!

Comment

I'm a Bronco fan, a titan fan ( in that order)...but when Jerry Jones took over ownership, I didn't like the way he handled the coaching situation then...I mean when you think of an icon for the Dallas Cowboys, you think of Tom Landry...what did Jerry Jones do for Tom's exit?
        Anyway, it's hard for me to watch Jerry Jones...

The Memphis Grizzlies actually had Danny White, Paul Warfield and others on their team....and it wasn't basketball. I forgot the name of that football league back then. It wasn't the World Football League...

How 'bout them grizzlies!!! If you like basketball, keep an eye on the Memphis Grizzlies...they're really finishing games well right now...they are starting to suprise teams on the road.

Comment

3 amigos

yes...84fan....now I remember the 3 amigos...I saw sammy winder in the airport one time...what happened to those guys?

Comment

thinking more about the 3 amigos...I guess it didn't matter as much who the recievers were having Elway as quarterback...now, they say it doesn't matter who the quarterback is because of the personnel around him...I sure that when Denver had no quarterback, Elway just might pop up. Just dreaming.....hey...Michael Jordon came back...

Comment

Originally posted by zappro
              I'm a Bronco fan, a titan fan ( in that order)...but when Jerry Jones took over ownership, I didn't like the way he handled the coaching situation then...I mean when you think of an icon for the Dallas Cowboys, you think of Tom Landry...what did Jerry Jones do for Tom's exit?
              Anyway, it's hard for me to watch Jerry Jones...

The Memphis Grizzlies actually had Danny White, Paul Warfield and others on their team....and it wasn't basketball. I forgot the name of that football league back then. It wasn't the World Football League...

How 'bout them grizzlies!!! If you like basketball, keep an eye on the Memphis Grizzlies...they're really finishing games well right now...they are starting to suprise teams on the road.
              I can agree that Jerry didn't handle Landry very well. He's proven himself a winner since though and as the saying goes, winning cures all ails. He's also had a statue of Landry erected at Texas Stadium and rumor has it Landry's name may be included in naming the new stadium they have planned down there..

Comment

Sunday Ticket

Zappro,
                Not to sound like too much of a smart butt, but they have this thing out now called Direct T.V. and NFL Sunday Ticket. You can watch any game you wish no matter where your location is. It's not cheap, but when you are jones'en for a bronco fix, its well worth it. We have it an out house, but I have to stomach the Chargers and Buc's as that's where the owner of the T.V.s alligence lie. At least the Chargers play the Bronco's twice per year, and they are good about keeping an eye on the Bronco games when it doesn't conflict.

Loved your story about meeting John Elway, that sounded like quite an experience.
                Welcome to this site, have fun and post away.

Tony
                GO BRONCOS

Comment

Re: 3 amigos

yes...84fan....now I remember the 3 amigos...I saw sammy winder in the airport one time...what happened to those guys?

He, he.... Watson, Jackson & Johnson (My 3 SON'S!!)

Last I heard, Vance was in NY and in trouble with the law for beating his wife

Not sure about the other two... while Steve Watson was still playing for Denver, he came to the Springs w/hiswife and child and bought a cat from a friend of mines mother who use to breed them (man their house stunk!!)

I live in COS by the way....what mall was it you saw Elway? Citadel or Chapel Hills?!!

Comment

it was on the north side of COS...off academy blvd. I'm not sure...If I remember correctly, it had just opened up (1984) and they got Elway there to draw a crowd (which was successful). COS was a fun time for me...the mountains are beautiful. I remember flying in for my interview there...Pikes Peak should be in every city in the USA...you never get lost with directions...it was great. In memphis, I have to use left and right. When people say go south, north, etc...I get confused. Pikes Peak was my visual aid...

What was the name of the small town next to COS that has some sort of trolley that goes up the mountain. That was a cute town. My boyfriend's (back then) apartment was converted from a historic hotel that had a porch we would sit out on and drink. We'd walk down to the local town bakery to pick up fresh loaves of bread. It was great....

I worked at Fedex Data Center. I remember one time a memo was sent out the employees warning them to be aware of the rattle snakes curling up under your car in the parking lot. That got some laughs...Okay...I'm boring people...but it brings back memories. CO is great country...

Comment

Direct TV, Dish Network, etc

As far as the satellite feeds, we have local cable for now. Just got a 65" HDTV. It's great, but having trouble with the HD signal with the local cable company. My husband is deciding what satellite feed to try next. We both work at FDX and need the local cable fiberoptic connection. We may just keep the road runner part and get Dish Network. You're just so limited on the number of recievers.

The HD signal on a 65" tv will be great to watch Denver play in the SuperBowl this year (2004).

My husband is not a professional or college football fan. He loves professional basketball (both Memphis Grizzlies' fans). The sports packages are too expensive to get football and basketball.
                      As all you guys know, the husband will win out on any sport topic.
                      He will watch the Broncos with me...but isn't really interested in football. Usually, he's out in the woods hunting during football season anyway.

Comment

it was on the north side of COS...off academy blvd. I'm not sure...If I remember correctly, it had just opened up (1984) and they got Elway there to draw a crowd (which was successful). COS was a fun time for me...the mountains are beautiful. I remember flying in for my interview there...Pikes Peak should be in every city in the USA...you never get lost with directions...it was great. In memphis, I have to use left and right. When people say go south, north, etc...I get confused. Pikes Peak was my visual aid...

What was the name of the small town next to COS that has some sort of trolley that goes up the mountain. That was a cute town. My boyfriend's (back then) apartment was converted from a historic hotel that had a porch we would sit out on and drink. We'd walk down to the local town bakery to pick up fresh loaves of bread. It was great....

I worked at Fedex Data Center. I remember one time a memo was sent out the employees warning them to be aware of the rattle snakes curling up under your car in the parking lot. That got some laughs...Okay...I'm boring people...but it brings back memories. CO is great country...

Ahhh....you must have met John at the Chapel Hills Mall...North Academy just of I-25 right?

I believe the small town your ex b/f lived in was Manitou Springs; they have a lot of converted Victorian looking homes/hotels into apartments; not to far from Pikes Peak Highway where the Cog Rail takes ppl up and down the Mountain. I live pretty much town town C/S, not too far from anything! But, I wouldn't have it any other way

Comment

Nice Elway story and welcome to the board!

Comment

awesome

Thats an AWESOME story Zappro!! unfortunately i have no cool memories like that! my story is pretty usual... my mom was from CO and even tho we lived in PA at the time she stood behind her team and i was right there ith her... one of my first memories is sitting with her on the couch and wondering why she was so mad at something called a "fref" fond memories!

LETS GO BRONCOS!!!
                            the Offense sells tickets, the Defense wins the championships

Comment

Working...
                            X