Spread Offense Viability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spread Offense Viability

I was listening to Eddy Mac today and he said that Tebow is at his best in the spread O/hurry up. What is the viability for that type of O? I don't know much about that type of stuff, but could we use this more and would it be able to last? I think the Patriots use it a lot, are there other teams? Please help a laywoman fan.
    sigpicAn intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend any amount of time with a Cowboys fan. ~ John Riggins

Originally posted by edens_apple View Post
    I was listening to Eddy Mac today and he said that Tebow is at his best in the spread O/hurry up. What is the viability for that type of O? I don't know much about that type of stuff, but could we use this more and would it be able to last? I think the Patriots use it a lot, are there other teams? Please help a laywoman fan.
    In the no huddle, the offense lines up while the QB gets the play in his ear and calls it. Eligible players go to their places in the called formation, the line gets set and the play is run. Go to the new LOS after the play and repeat.

The main effect is that the D can't substitute.

Since the Broncos have established Double/Triple Option from direct snap/shotgun formations, that would put opposing defenses in a major bind because their coverages would necessarily be vanilla (i.e., cover 1, 2, 3).
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      In the no huddle, the offense lines up while the QB gets the play in his ear and calls it. Eligible players go to their places in the called formation, the line gets set and the play is run. Go to the new LOS after the play and repeat.

The main effect is that the D can't substitute.

Since the Broncos have established Double/Triple Option from direct snap/shotgun formations, that would put opposing defenses in a major bind because their coverages would necessarily be vanilla (i.e., cover 1, 2, 3).
      Ok thanks I understood the no huddle but wasn't sure exactly what we were doing in that spread shotgun and why Tebow is so successful in it.
      sigpicAn intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend any amount of time with a Cowboys fan. ~ John Riggins

Comment

Ok thanks I understood the no huddle but wasn't sure exactly what we were doing in that spread shotgun and why Tebow is so successful in it.
        The Broncos have been using tight formations both in direct snap/shotgun and under center. A tight under center formation they showed at KC was Double Wing. They were in tight direct snap/shotgun formations some against the Jets.

Tight formations complicate defensive assignments against Option plays.

Comment

It depends on the variation of the spread and spread option(SO).

I've been a critic of the SO in college. Its intention is to put your players in 1 on 1 matchups, and then for your guys to beat their guys.

One bonus the spread option has ever NE's spread is that it uses the option to create a legit running threat, while maintaining the passing threat that going 3 or 4 wide causes. However you need a Cam Newton/Alex Smith/Tebow QB to make the running/pass threat work.

If you've got receivers who can take a bubble screen or slot crosser to the house, then the SO can work. Otherwise the LB's are going to jam up the option game, and leave you in predictable situations.

Comment

Heres the deal. The spread option is the best thing for Tebow, but it doesn't have to be hurry up and in fact is exactly the opposite of what Fox wants to do and what the Gators did when Tim was there. Contrary to popular belief, Tim doesn't need a chaotic pace to succeed, he just needs an offense in which his running is an actual threat. The offensive play calling took that threat out against the Jets, I believe due to the hit he took after a zone-read handoff early in the game. As a result the offense suffered.

The Broncos need to let Tim be Tim, and that includes him actually running the ball. Going hurry up does nothing but hurt the defense. Keep them fresh by maintaining the current pace....just let Tebow run the ball more.
            Miller + Tebow = Win

sigpic

Comment

Running the ball from direct snap/shotgun formations

IMO establishing a run threat from direct snap/shotgun formations via Double/Triple Option is a major breakthrough in the NFL.

It forces the defense to play assignments which precludes blitzing, inverts and rotations in the coverage. Consequently coverages are basic (i.e., 1, 2, 3).

Comment

Yep, a zone read with the option to throw the ball, has worked consistently in the NFL. see Vick, Micheal see Young, Vince. The problem has been keeping them healthy.

So yes I do think its a break through. Its not like the bronco's are inventing the concept however.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  IMO establishing a run threat from direct snap/shotgun formations via Double/Triple Option is a major breakthrough in the NFL.

It forces the defense to play assignments which precludes blitzing, inverts and rotations in the coverage. Consequently coverages are basic (i.e., 1, 2, 3).
                  So, if it makes the D basic, then we might be able to conclude that Tebow's passing mainly struggles when he's got a more complicated D to read? I'm just trying to figure out why he's so good with this and struggles so mightily out of it.

Comment

Tebow is the one guy that could succeed long term with this, that is if he improves his passing like I think he can and will. He is a tank. His threat to run opens up the rest of the offense, especially if the pass is a threat as well. But he must run. They can't abandon the QB run like they did against the Jets. You can't protect him like that. Tim needs to be Tim and that includes running the ball.

He is pretty good at running and avoiding injuries. Who do you think took more of a beating Thursday night, Tebow or Sanchez? I think Sanchez is still in the ice-tub trying to recover, yet everyone is talking like Tebow is taking too many hits.
                    Miller + Tebow = Win

sigpic

Comment

So, if it makes the D basic, then we might be able to conclude that Tebow's passing mainly struggles when he's got a more complicated D to read? I'm just trying to figure out why he's so good with this and struggles so mightily out of it.
                      Its because he's familiar with what his guys are supposed to do. He's seen every defense imaginable against a spread formation.

Comment

Originally posted by CRNA2112 View Post
                        Tebow is the one guy that could succeed long term with this
                        I don't agree with that. Tim can succeed yes. However so can Vince Young or Colin Kapernick(sp?) or Cam Newton, or Alex Smith, or pick your QB from the past 10 years who has prototypical size, but played in an unconventional offense and wasn't drafted because of it. The current nfl mindset, is that if you can't run a west coast offense, you're not any good.

I'm not sure the other guys are willing to play through injury like #15. That's another topic entirely however.

Comment

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
                          Its because he's familiar with what his guys are supposed to do. He's seen every defense imaginable against a spread formation.
                          Oh ok, well then that's a huge positive because if all he needs is more confidence and familiarity in what they are doing than I think there's a much better chance of his passing improving overall and maybe not just in the spread.

Comment

Oh ok, well then that's a huge positive because if all he needs is more confidence and familiarity in what they are doing than I think there's a much better chance of his passing improving overall and maybe not just in the spread.
                            That's just my opinion however. Its also my opinion that lining him up under center, while helping the timing of the passing game, neutralizes the bonuses a RB gets because he's lined up next to Tebow.

Comment

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
                              I don't agree with that. Tim can succeed yes. However so can Vince Young or Colin Kapernick(sp?) or Cam Newton, or Alex Smith, or pick your QB from the past 10 years who has prototypical size, but played in an unconventional offense and wasn't drafted because of it. The current nfl mindset, is that if you can't run a west coast offense, you're not any good.

I'm not sure the other guys are willing to play through injury like #15. That's another topic entirely however.
                              I agree that the other guys could run this offense, heck seeing Vick run option would be something. What I was getting at was the injury factor, the toughness factor. Tim IMO is the one that avoids getting killed while on the run, yet when he needs to can deliver a blow instead of taking a blow. He's a tough nut is what I'm trying to say. Now can he be injured? Certainly. He was injured at Florida a few times, but was able to play through it without missing much of a beat. The only injury that really affected him was the concussion against Kentucky---he was in the pocket on that play by the way.

Pocket QBs get hit much more than people are willing to admit.
                              Miller + Tebow = Win

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X