• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's it.

Originally posted by Southtown View Post
    T Formation

Pistol

On the T, Leahy has slightly wider line splits and the Halfbacks are a little closer to the LOS than the FB.

That's the Pistol sometimes with no TE. Spread Option and Pistol combine the Run & Shoot passing attack with an Option run game.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• That's interesting Sam...I'm definitely going to have to read the book.

I think the photo is the "Power T." I would like to see the Broncos run this, and also utilize the "Split T". Get rid of one of the TE's for a WR, then motion one of the HB's to the other side and run pass patterns...setting up lots of different looks.

The Pistol is alive currently in the NFL. We talked about the Ravens using it a few weeks ago.

I could be wrong here but last night, on the goal-line, the Eagles lined up in what I think was the "Veer" formation and scored on an inside shuffle pass to McCoy. With V. Young, McCoy and Ronnie Brown (i think) the triple option threat had to be respected.

Comment

• I'm almost positive that I've seen the Broncos line up in the pistol a few times the last couple weeks.
        sigpic

Comment

• Yes

Originally posted by KnoMo#27 View Post
          I'm almost positive that I've seen the Broncos line up in the pistol a few times the last couple weeks.
          Go back to the OP and look in the part called Formations.

The Broncos line up in what looks like offset I with Tebow at FB depth. It's a form of Pistol. Since it looks like Power I to me, I call it "Power Pistol".

At San Diego they lined up in that formation ten times and ran Option from it nine times for 41 yards, a 4.5 yard average.

They use another variation which looks like inverted Bone with a back to each side of the QB and a TB directly behind him. Since Auburn uses that, I call it "Auburn" in my notes. They motioned to that twice in San Diego. They used "Power Pistol" a couple of times against the Jets and once against KC and @ Oakland.
          Last edited by samparnell; 12-02-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Great write up, Sam!

Comment

• Great break down Sam, Thanks.

The spread was pretty successful as a whole I thought.

They have to establish the passing from the I in order to consider it a viable portion of the offense however. This will be a challenge for Tebow as he's never really run any of it.

I like the concept of the "power pistol". Most of normal pro-style running plays are available in that formation, plus added shotgun wrinkles. It would be the closest thing to gimmicky about this whole offense though. I only say that because it is particularly odd.
              Last edited by Potzer01; 12-02-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Good stuff Sam....thanks for posting!
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• cp thanks for all the analysis

Comment

• Originally posted by Southtown View Post
                    T Formation

Pistol

from what i read about the pistol it was

Spread

Rb QB RB
                    RB
                    sigpic
                    oakland raders gm
                    latavis murray trade bait

Comment

• Spread Formation Football

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
                      from what i read about the pistol it was

Spread

Rb QB RB
                      RB
                      Spread football began at TCU in the 1930s when Leo "Dutch" Meyer spread the Single Wing keeping the two backs in direct snap behind the center. One of his great QBs was Sammy Baugh who went on to play in the Single Wing of the Washington Redskins. Meyer wrote a book about it, Spread Formation Football. His version is sometimes called the Southwestern Spread.

In the 1950s a high school coach in Ohio, Glenn "Tiger" Ellison, wrote a book in which he explained his invention, Run-and-shoot-football: Offense of the future. I think Ellison mostly spread his offensive formation to open up the run game. I think his offense ran from under center formations.

About ten years later, Darrell "Mouse" Davis took the Run & Shoot concept and turned it into an all-out passing attack in the 1970s and 80s. In the late 1980s, Erskine "Erk" Russell added an Option rushing attack to the Run & Shoot at Georgia Southern. Paul Johnson was his assistant.

The Spread Option was further developed by Rich Rodriguez and Urban Meyer. Meyer's OC at Florida was Dan Mullen. They all have been responsible for the popularization of the Spread Option which I first saw on a high school football field in 1999. They put the ball in play from direct snap/shotgun formations.

Chris Ault's Pistol is a futher development of the Spread Option with emphasis on expanding the run aspect. The purpose is to spread the field forcing the defense to defend all of it and exploit these openings with an Option run game. Broncos at San Diego was the closest we've seen, so far, to running the Spread Option. Denver's rushing attack includes much more than just Spread Option or Pistol.
                      Last edited by samparnell; 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Great post Sam

Really like some of your insights.

I too think we are watching as something new is being created midseason. We are only witness of the tip of the iceberg.

As the coaches and payers get more use to the system I feel it will be deadly

The nfl always trends back and forth between the passing game and running game. We may be watching the start of a trend back to the run game

As long as the play calling stays creative I think this offense and defense can be as hard to beat as any other with a two score lead
                        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• -Sam

Do you think Fox/McCoy could adopt some of Georgia Tech's concepts?

I think it we could get a couple of speed guys who could play the wing back position this offense could be incredibly effective in the NFL with the right guy. And I think Tebow is that right guy.
                          Denver Broncos GM
                          Originally posted by Mosk
                          Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

• What an outstanding thread! I have had the flu and have not gotten on as often as I like, then I find this!

Sam, absolutely outstanding breakdown. You are the man!

Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
                            sigpic
                            I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
                            Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
                              -Sam

Do you think Fox/McCoy could adopt some of Georgia Tech's concepts?

I think it we could get a couple of speed guys who could play the wing back position this offense could be incredibly effective in the NFL with the right guy. And I think Tebow is that right guy.
                              I think they are in the process of using formations to gain advantage at POA. I haven't noticed the Double Wing formation since KC. Maybe tomorrow.

Veer priciples are evident. Look up a poster here named db32. Find the thread called "Spread Offense Viability". Great chalktalk on that thread.

Georgia Tech's Flexbone formation lends itself to a combination of Veer Option and Wing-T plays. I have noticed the Broncos starting to use more misdirection/counter plays. Counter is a staple of Paul Johnson's offense.

Since KC, I haven't noticed as much influence by the OL. Maybe tomorrow.
                              The unbalanced tandem tackle over/trips formation might be seen tomorrow, too. Any defensive front that pursues well can be exploited by this offense.

I'm sure the Broncos offensive coaches are studying, planning and practicing hard to make this approach as successful as possible. They are already incorporating some of the concepts used by GT.

I hope they can continue this into the offseason. It's exciting to imagine what they could accomplish given plenty of time. Much has already been accomplished mid-season which is crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X