Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I guess now it's not even a college style offense

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/...ol-offense-nfl

Take it how you will but felt like a lot of jabbing at us.
    I will be a Denver Bronco for life. Nothing else matters.

Stats of the Week No. 7: Buffalo, Detroit and San Diego opened a combined 13-2 and since have gone a combined 3-15.

Stats of the Week No. 9: Stretching back to last season, Kansas City has gone 5-1, then 0-5, then 4-0, then 0-4.
    Was scimming through it and saw these. Some neat little Stats lol.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Comment

What does it say about 5 NFL teams in this league if they can't stop a High School Offense?

If anything, they should be pointing out how "crappy" those 5 teams are for letting our offense beat them since it should be so easy being high school and all.

Comment

This article made me chuckle. But, what's wrong with playing basic football. I think offenses make mistakes when they run elaborate plays where players miss an assignment. I enjoy watching the current Denver offense.
        sigpic

Comment

Longest article EVER!

Comment

It wasn't jabbing, it was hay-makers.

Its also pretty accurate.

Its not going to be a popular statement, but I would say UF's playbook was move sophisticated than the one being run in Denver currently.

Luckily, there aren't any high school defensive coordinators in the NFL.

Comment

IMO it never really was a college style system. It was just called that because we ran options and zone reads, and NFL analysts didn't know how to classify it. A couple buddies of mine were watching the game with me, huge CFB fans, and were laughing because the announcers kept calling it college, and calling random stuff wishbone because they didn't know what it was.
              What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
              I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by broncofan27 View Post

If you see a link from ESPN - 9 out of 10 times it is not going to be supportive.
                sigpic

Comment

It was tongue-in-cheek.

Comment

That's TMQ. I read that every week. I get some laughs from it. The hilarious part of the article is that most NFL teams are not built to stop the option, LMAO, and so will struggle against it. Here's why: Because of the pass whacky nature of the NFL today (Many teams are passing more than running or passing on early downs instead of running) many teams have drafted smaller/quicker personal and run nickel packages or some variant of the Tampa 2.

The option is an extension of the running game, and nearly all teams currently, with the exception of the Bears (46 Defense) and Steelers, are not built to stop the run first. The Option can only work at the NFL level with Tebow because of his physicality and athleticism: a dude his size should not be as quick, agile, or fast.

Although, teams can try to gameplan for the Option, they cannot account for Tebow or do not have the personal to hold it up the entire game. This is something that many experts secretly fear; that its not purist football. Its very difficult to argue with the results.
                    Last edited by Wolf Brother; 11-29-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Wolf Brother is correct. Mr. Easterbrook does that piece almost every week (Tuesday Morning Quarterback, or TMQ), and he has recurring segments (like the cheerleader of the week, and obscure college scores) and discusses interesting plays or stats or whatever. He is generally more intellectual than other pundits, and will discuss news issues, science, etc. So, when he makes claims, they are often backed up by statistics.

He also seems to be all about football at all levels. He often talks about High School scores and despises teams that run up the score, claiming that it displays a lack of sportsmanship. So, I have the feeling that he really knows what he is talking about. And, clearly, he does. The read option play is very prevalent in Prep football, mostly due to its simplicity. But that does not mean to be a dig at the Broncos. He notes that it is unlikely that such an offense can be sustained, but he also says that we are proving that this kind of game plan can be successful at this level. Later in the piece, he also laments that NFL-level coaches talk about out offense with a kind of disdain (Buddy Ryan quote), saying that there is a kind of elitism there which he does not necessarily agree with.

Overall, TMQ is always a good read, and he is trying to be funny by suggesting prep rallies and cheerleaders doing pushups. This is not meant as disrespect in any way.

If you want to see what it looks like when Easterbrook is criticizing someone, read his section on Norv Turner . . .
                      Broncos Quotes:

"I don't care about money. I don't care about, 'Oh, you are a superstar. You are a celebrity.' To me, all that is crap, I just care about winning." --- Rod Smith

"I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon…if I can." --- Floyd Little

"It's all over fat man!" --- Tom Jackson, to John Madden (1977 AFC Championship game)sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncofan27 View Post

I read that too and thought it was a typical ESPN Garbage article
                        GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, it is a high school offense. I said it from the beginning. I was mainly upset about 8 passes from Tebow. You gotta do better than that. And college teams pass more. So, yeah.

Because it's a high school offense doesn't mean it can't or isn't effective. Me, personally? I prefer the power I and a bunch of maulers up front to the approach we have. But I can't fault it. It's working.

Comment

Playing 11 on 11 in the run game seems like smart football to me. Not our fault the rest of the NFL treats their QBs like China dolls. College offenses are much more interesting because they can just play football without putting a skirt on one of their players.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach9 View Post
                              Playing 11 on 11 in the run game seems like smart football to me. Not our fault the rest of the NFL treats their QBs like China dolls. College offenses are much more interesting because they can just play football without putting a skirt on one of their players.
                              That is more due to the price tag that is attached to these players versus the college or high school level. But good thing Tebow is built like a LB :thumb:

Adopted Broncos:
                              (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                              (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                              (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                              Adopted posters:
                              Everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X