Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Jaws", "Mike & Mike" starting to get it...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Jaws", "Mike & Mike" starting to get it...

    Some of you probably heard this, too, but in case you haven't Jaworski recently said (regarding the read/option), "I've talked to some defensive coordinators in this league, and they absolutely HATE preparing to defense it". On their show today, Mike Golic said NFL teams are running an "amoeba" defense, which means it changes shapes to confuse QB's. Paraphrased - "this kind of defense is largely ineffective against the read/option offense".

    Right after the Raider game, I wrote (Jay and others agreed - some didn't) that the read/option will work as part of an NFL offense - especially with a man like Tebow who runs it almost to perfection. Statements like the ones Jaws and Mike G made I think are confirmation that at least SOME (and probably more than we think) in the NFL share that opinion. Here are some of the reasons why - feel free to add your own, or expound on them.

    1) The defense is FORCED to play assignment football - that's NOT what they normally do. Zone blitzes, overloading a side, etc are basically out the window.

    2) Related to #1, you aren't going to see this offense (as a staple) from any other team in the NFL, and it's hard to prepare for (see Jaw's comment) and immitate during practice.

    3) Defenses love to take away the "first read" of the QB against most offenses; with the read/option Tim ALWAYS has the first read - and if the defense "cheats", loses contain, etc - they can be in big trouble (Oakland - most of the game; SD - the run by MG in OT!!)

    4) Contrary to what many think, the QB is NOT more likely to get injured - as long as he plays smart. Tim for the most part controls if/when he gets hit. He doesn't get blind-sided running the option. Who took more vicious hits Sunday - Rivers or Tebow? Of ALL the the QB's who have been injured recently, I believe only Cutler (who was trying to make a tackle) was not in the pocket, or at least trying to execute a pass play.

    5) YOU DO have to have the right guy to run it - and we DO!!!! Timmy may be the best in the history of the game - at ANY level - at running it.

    6) When executed well it eats up the clock and keeps a defense off the field, more rested for the 4th qtr - and beyond :thumb: AND scores points.

    I'll stop there - and leave you with a question. So - are the Broncos running a "throw back" offense (most I bet will jump on this one) OR - a cutting-edge offense which defenses will find hard to stop??? Keep in mind - it's only been installed for about 4 weeks - and I can promise you, based on Tim's time here at UF - that there are a whole bunch of plays you haven't seen yet! The real question is if/when Fox/McCoy will elect to use them!

  • #2
    this is what ive been trying to say for 5 weeks good post doode
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I think this style of offense will make some offensive players want to play here. Making us a better free agent spot IMO.

      Its cutting edge and some might want to be a part of it.

      Comment


      • #4
        1) 3rd down conversion must improve

        2) The offense must produce more points

        If these things can happen with the zone-read/option, great.

        Execution can get much better. Now just Tebow, but all the other parts involved. Play calling can certainly get better. The runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs are becoming predictable and the offense is starting slow.

        Some high percentage throws early in the game would not be a bad idea. Call more screen passes, they are working.

        Instead of a FB dive or a pitch on 3rd & long, call a pass play spreading the offense with 4 receivers and let Tebow decide what to do.

        I think this offense has room to grow and become much more effective. If Tebow remains the quarterback QB for the Broncos in 2012, he will probably be able to run a hurry-up offense with the zone-read/option and make the calls himself. The defense will have less time to line up, adjust and keep discipline on each assignment.

        Defensive coordinators in the NFL might not enjoy the specific preparation that a zone-read/option offense demands, but they will not be scared until they see 30+ points on the scoreboard. When they see this offense starting slow and scoring 13, 16 points in the game, they have no reason to really be worried.

        Sooner or later, the Broncos will have to score more points to compete against the best teams. Tebow will have to throw for 2 touchdowns more often. #1 team in rushing yards, but the starting RB only has 3 rushing touchdowns.

        Jon Gruden said before the 2010 draft that Tebow could revolutionize the NFL. The wildcat that can throw the ball. Well, it's happening. Some say the Broncos are going back in time, regressing to the old days. But an NFL QB never carried the ball 22 times before. It's smashmouth football with the QB smashing your mouth. And when you start to look at him as a FB, he completes a 50-yard pass against your best CB. I have no problem with the zone-read/option as long as the production improves to match the production of the other teams.

        The key is Tebow as a passer. If he becomes a better passer in the near future, the offense will be more balanced and able to adapt to any situation during the game.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          I view it as:

          1. An effective way to run the ball, even when the defense knows a run is probably coming. Some of the best teams can pound the rock to keep defenses honest against the pass and also protect a lead.

          2. An effective way to run it out of shotgun, which is great, because the Broncos can build a "series" of play out of that formation where the defense is guessing zone read run or pass.

          Commentators that are trying to make way more out of it are really trying to explain away the success the Broncos have had winning. Because maybe, just maybe, the players are good, and that is the reason they are winning.

          Comment


          • #6
            Let's be real here. NFL has turned into the Arena League, when teams build their defenses, you see a ton more effort and time put into the pass rush, corners/safeties, etc.

            Of course teams hate preparing for Tebow, and to be quite honest, there are several teams who simply do not even have the players to play an effective run defense for 4 quarters. Teams build depth in other areas with the rules changes that have occurred.

            While I think the Bronco offense eventually will need to maybe strike a 40/60 pass/rush balance to be effective LONGTERM, for the time being teams are simply not prepared roster wise.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MaxDiesel View Post
              Let's be real here. NFL has turned into the Arena League, when teams build their defenses, you see a ton more effort and time put into the pass rush, corners/safeties, etc.

              Of course teams hate preparing for Tebow, and to be quite honest, there are several teams who simply do not even have the players to play an effective run defense for 4 quarters. Teams build depth in other areas with the rules changes that have occurred.

              While I think the Bronco offense eventually will need to maybe strike a 40/60 pass/rush balance to be effective LONGTERM, for the time being teams are simply not prepared roster wise.
              I've also pointed this out several times, teams are geared towards stopping the pass as shown by the trend of increasing point totals over the past 20 years. Teams are simply not built to defend a heavy and versatile rushing offense. Revis was basically neutralized the entire Jets game. If you can attack defenses in multiple ways the better off you are. Football is a chess match. It's simple the more weapons you have the greater your chances of winning.
              sigpic







              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Orange&Blue X2 View Post
                ... feel free to add your own ...
                :wave: 7) ACTION! It is too fast for a lot of folks to follow. Who has the football? Just ask the TV camera guy.

                Thanks for reading.
                http://www.anchorsaweighcharters.com (No financial associations, usual disclaimers.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Maybe ESPN gave them some "career choices".....lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is anyone else holding out hope for nbcsports, the rebranding of versus on jan 2nd?

                    I just can not stomach ESPN anymore beyond the ESPNEWS style stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I like that we are winning but lets not pretend this offense is tearing up the NFL. We aren't putting up a lot of points.... I think we have only scored more than 20 points once since we started running it.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jdubv724 View Post
                        I like that we are winning but lets not pretend this offense is tearing up the NFL. We aren't putting up a lot of points.... I think we have only scored more than 20 points once since we started running it.
                        That's the point. This offense isn't built to equal the high-flying passing attack that 'everyone' is used to.

                        That's the reason it's working. Defenses are built to stop the high-flying passing attack.

                        Run it at them instead of throw it at them, and their speed, ball catching, vertical, and cover skills go out the window. It then relies on their size, fundamentals, and conditioning.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                          1) 3rd down conversion must improve

                          2) The offense must produce more points

                          If these things can happen with the zone-read/option, great.

                          Execution can get much better. Now just Tebow, but all the other parts involved. Play calling can certainly get better. The runs up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs are becoming predictable and the offense is starting slow.

                          Some high percentage throws early in the game would not be a bad idea. Call more screen passes, they are working.

                          Instead of a FB dive or a pitch on 3rd & long, call a pass play spreading the offense with 4 receivers and let Tebow decide what to do.

                          I think this offense has room to grow and become much more effective. If Tebow remains the quarterback QB for the Broncos in 2012, he will probably be able to run a hurry-up offense with the zone-read/option and make the calls himself. The defense will have less time to line up, adjust and keep discipline on each assignment.

                          Defensive coordinators in the NFL might not enjoy the specific preparation that a zone-read/option offense demands, but they will not be scared until they see 30+ points on the scoreboard. When they see this offense starting slow and scoring 13, 16 points in the game, they have no reason to really be worried.

                          Sooner or later, the Broncos will have to score more points to compete against the best teams. Tebow will have to throw for 2 touchdowns more often. #1 team in rushing yards, but the starting RB only has 3 rushing touchdowns.

                          Jon Gruden said before the 2010 draft that Tebow could revolutionize the NFL. The wildcat that can throw the ball. Well, it's happening. Some say the Broncos are going back in time, regressing to the old days. But an NFL QB never carried the ball 22 times before. It's smashmouth football with the QB smashing your mouth. And when you start to look at him as a FB, he completes a 50-yard pass against your best CB. I have no problem with the zone-read/option as long as the production improves to match the production of the other teams.

                          The key is Tebow as a passer. If he becomes a better passer in the near future, the offense will be more balanced and able to adapt to any situation during the game.
                          See, I think us scoring less points is by design. When we were down by 10 to the Chargers, Tebow threw more. We scored a TD. What happened after that? We went back to grinding yards out. We went back to running the football. In the 4th quarter when we needed a drive, Tebow went back to throwing the football and did pretty well.

                          I'm not saying that we're not trying to score on every drive. But, I'm saying that the emphasis isn't on scoring points. It's on grinding down the defense and playing field position. That's part of the reason for the 3rd and long run plays. That extra run isn't for that play. That extra run is for later in the game.

                          I just noticed that change in pace against the Chargers, and then even when we were down by 3, we changed pace again and became much more conservative. We became conservative almost to a fault.

                          I think we CAN score more points, but the strategy is to wear a defense down and then win in the 4th quarter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Personnally I like the fact that we are going against the current on this one. Why being different in this league is not something bad. Just look at the first defenses to run the 3-4 they were kind of alone for a couple of year until more defenses started to try them out against the passing attack. So I am all in for the smash mouth/oldschool/readoption/whatever you call it offense.


                            Maybe next year we'll see more team try to incorporate some part of it in their schemes ? (you know the copy cat league lol)
                            Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7

                            Adopted Broncos:
                            -:Mr. Decker:-

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
                              See, I think us scoring less points is by design. When we were down by 10 to the Chargers, Tebow threw more. We scored a TD. What happened after that? We went back to grinding yards out. We went back to running the football. In the 4th quarter when we needed a drive, Tebow went back to throwing the football and did pretty well.

                              I'm not saying that we're not trying to score on every drive. But, I'm saying that the emphasis isn't on scoring points. It's on grinding down the defense and playing field position. That's part of the reason for the 3rd and long run plays. That extra run isn't for that play. That extra run is for later in the game.

                              I just noticed that change in pace against the Chargers, and then even when we were down by 3, we changed pace again and became much more conservative. We became conservative almost to a fault.

                              I think we CAN score more points, but the strategy is to wear a defense down and then win in the 4th quarter.
                              I noticed that too. Kind of cool if you think about it.

                              "Oh we're down by 10? Okay, let the O loose for a drive McCoy"

                              Denver Scores

                              "Okay we're back within 3? Grind it out some more and pound the rock."

                              Fourth Quarter Arrives
                              Wait until < 5 minutes remain


                              "Let the O loose for a drive McCoy"

                              Rinse and Repeat

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X