Will Broncos go 8/8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Broncos go 8/8?

I hope not. But Denver has some serious problems that make an 8/8 record a very real possibility.

1. They have no real deep threat on passing. While Rod Smith is a fast and excellent receiver, Ashly Leleigh has lost confidence of Jake Plummer. This leads Rod Smith to have to go it alone and constantly draw double coverage. Without a deep threat good Denver opponents can simply double cover Rod Smith and move the rest of the defense closer the the line.

2. Denver's defense is extremely susceptable to to downfield passing. They have givin up big yards to many quarterbacks this year. Something can be said that they force opponents to pass due to their smothering run defense, but that's only partialy true. Teams like Indiannapolis, New England, and Tennesee will (and in the case of New England, have) feast on this weakness. Trent Green threw for 397 yards on them, most of it in the first half. Denver needs to work on pressuring the quarterback, and get better at covering downfield receivers.

3. Denver has been caught looking past opponents before, and this could be brewing for Cleveland. This rests squarely on Shanahan's shoulders. Cleveland looks very weak with their injuries, and myriad of internal problems. Every player for Cleveland is professional, and if Shanahan doesn't prepare Denver for them, and get's caught looking past to Indiannapolis, don't be suprised if Denver loses. Denver cannot afford be caught unsuspecting and flat against Cleveland. Denver had a terrific and emotional win against KC, and if they let down against Cleveland, they could be dooming themselves to watching the play-offs from a big screen T.V. Cleveland will be looking for respect, and a win against a flat Denver team would be a huge payoff for them.

Possible, but I don't think it's likely.

1. I think if it was this simple, it would've been done by now.

2. Our pass D has its bad moments, but I don't think that it's absolutely horrible. They shut down Trent for the 2nd half until the end of the 4th didn't they?

3. True. If we lose to Cleveland because we come out flat, then we don't deserve to go to the playoffs and all the cliches we've been hearing about "taking it one game at a time" and "every game is a playoff game" have just been lip service.

Comment

No. While anything can happen (see Bears game), I would be stunned if the Broncos lose to the Browns this weekend.

9-7 minimum.
      10-6? I'd say it's a 50% chance.
      11-5? Very tough...maybe 10% shot just because of the last 2 road games. @ Indy will be extremely tough. @ Green Bay will also be tough because it's at Lambeau but I think we're better than the Pack so we should scrape by.

Obviously, these are just my opinions based on my general feel for the Broncos and their remaining schedule.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Jake Plummer has so many weapons it's rediculous. Rod Smith Eddie Mac, Lelie, Sharpe, and now Deltha Oneal. We have plenty of fire power. Plus we have Portis. Nobody will be double covering Rod Smith with Portis in our backfield. If they do they will pay. Did you see the game last week? It wasn't a fluke. Teams can't afford to not put 8 in the box. That will open up the passing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss
          Jake Plummer has so many weapons it's rediculous. Rod Smith Eddie Mac, Lelie, Sharpe, and now Deltha Oneal.
          I haven't actually seen a game ( on TV ) since Deltha Oneal started playing WR. Anyone have any insight as to how he's doing at that position? He seems to have kept himself very quiet since the move.

Originally posted by Cestlavie
          1. Ashly Leleigh has lost confidence of Jake Plummer.
          I don't think Ashley lost confidence in Jake really... Mebbe Jake won't throw to him as often he would Rod Smith, but don't forget that we have Eddie Mac available as well. lelie is young... he'll grow into his position. He's just a bit off his game is all.

2. Denver's defense is extremely susceptable to to downfield passing....... Denver needs to work on pressuring the quarterback, and get better at covering downfield receivers.
          I don't think that our pass defense is as bad as some would speculate. Usually, we end up pulling ahead of teams by putting pts up early. This forces opposing teams to rely on a 1 dimensional game ( passing ) to catch up. I do agree with your assessment of the D-Line though.... Increased pressure from the front 4 would take a lot of pressure off of our DB's.

3. Denver has been caught looking past opponents before, and this could be brewing for Cleveland.....Cleveland will be looking for respect, and a win against a flat Denver team would be a huge payoff for them.
          This is a no brainer really. People have been posting this on the board since the Chicago loss. IMHO, there is no such thing as "bringing our A Game". When you are a football player, and get paid that kind of salary, every damn game should be your A Game. There is simply no excuse for losing to a team that is inferior in every aspect of the game. Bottom line, Denver controls it's own destiny. They need to stay focused and treat every game they play the rest of the season as if it were a Super Bowl.

Nuff said...

Not as lean & Not as mean.. but damn proud to claim the title of (former) U.S. Marine
          ~DBMAdsf Llaus @T m0 P^~

Comment

8-8 I would be shocked!

I would be shocked to see Den not at least go 9-7.
            I believe they will go at least 10-6 and if they play like last Sunday vs KC 11-5!!!

Lets be optomistic not pessemestic!

Comment

My only concern is that packer game...it's going to be cold!

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
              2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by AsianOrange
                And it doesnt get cold in Denver????????

Cold is not a problem, Lambeau field is......Farve is.......but I think we have a chance to win all three games if we play like I know we can......like we did last week

Comment

Not necessarily. Don't forget the Bears game - 18 degrees which was the high for the day! I doubt GB will be that cold. If it's in the 30's or higher we should do fine up there. I'm more worried about Indy and that blasted turf!

Comment

You mean to tell me you're not worried about Peyton Manning going up against our passing defense? I sure am...
                    ------

Comment

10-6 at the very worst. I agree with Cestlavie on a couple of points...but:

1. They have no real deep threat on passing. While Rod Smith is a fast and excellent receiver, Ashly Leleigh has lost confidence of Jake Plummer. This leads Rod Smith to have to go it alone and constantly draw double coverage. Without a deep threat good Denver opponents can simply double cover Rod Smith and move the rest of the defense closer the the line.

Like Hoss stated, no team can afford to stack 8 in the box, so our receivers will NOT be double covered. Lelie WILL have a great game this week, which will get him back in Plummer's sightline. You can bet than Shanny is working Lelie hard this week in preparation for the Browns, who have a good passing defense. If you heard Gumball and Simms last week that Lelie was catching everything in practice...that means he's still a factor once he gets his head back in the game. Now, even though he's not a 50 yard deep threat...not ONE person mentioned SHANNON SHARPE! He's actually Plummer's favorite target.

2. Denver's defense is extremely susceptable to to downfield passing. They have givin up big yards to many quarterbacks this year. Something can be said that they force opponents to pass due to their smothering run defense, but that's only partialy true. Teams like Indiannapolis, New England, and Tennesee will (and in the case of New England, have) feast on this weakness. Trent Green threw for 397 yards on them, most of it in the first half. Denver needs to work on pressuring the quarterback, and get better at covering downfield receivers.
                      I agree with this point. Now that Deltha has been taken out of the secondary, we are covering the opponent's best receivers a little better. Although our secondary is not the worst in the league, it is our biggest weakness. Look how many times the Chiefs converted on third down last week. They didn't RUN it on 3rd down - they PASSED it. That says something. We do have to blitz a little more to keep these QBs under pressure.

[QUOTE]3. Denver has been caught looking past opponents before, and this could be brewing for Cleveland. This rests squarely on Shanahan's shoulders. Cleveland looks very weak with their injuries, and myriad of internal problems. Every player for Cleveland is professional, and if Shanahan doesn't prepare Denver for them, and get's caught looking past to Indiannapolis, don't be suprised if Denver loses. Denver cannot afford be caught unsuspecting and flat against Cleveland. Denver had a terrific and emotional win against KC, and if they let down against Cleveland, they could be dooming themselves to watching the play-offs from a big screen T.V. Cleveland will be looking for respect, and a win against a flat Denver team would be a huge payoff for them.{/QUOTE]

Mark my words...we will NOT lose to the Browns. The Browns have not done well on the road, they have NO running game and both of their QB's are playing through injury. They just lost 5 starters and are signing starters from their practice squads. They are playing a focused and determined Broncos team AT Mile High. No way we lose this one. The "looking past" a team is over. Now, we need every game to stay in it.

Comment

The secondary will be fine.None of the teams left on Denvers schedule has near the talent on the offensive line that the Chiefs have.In the 1st half -vs- the Chiefs Green was not touched and he was on fire.The 2nd half they got after Green a little and they pretty much shut the Chiefs out.No secondary in the NFL can cover guys for 5 to 10 seconds,pass rush is the key to victory.GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tahuya man
                          Look at this, I almost agree. I would modify your view slightly. I think 9-7 is likely. 10-6 is possible, but won't be easy. Less than a 50/50 shot. 11-5 is an extreme longshot. Less than 10% chance. Green Bay will be tough, not because of Lambeau Field, but the Packers are tough. They've got a strong running game and Favre is healing and looking good. Their Defense is tough both against the run and pass. I think that's a tougher game than Indy.
                          Whoa, it's scary when you almost agree with me. Just make sure don't ever actually agree with me or I'll have to reassess my Blue & Orange pulse.

Anyway, I'm far more worried about Indy because their #1 ranked passing attack plays right into what I consider the Broncos' biggest weakness.

Green Bay, on the other hand, is not the team they used to be. Their defense is coached by Ed Donatell, a Greg Robinson protegé, and Shanny has a good time against his former coaches. The Pack's defense is #11 against the run but they give up 107 yards per game; our #1 rushing attack should still crank out a decent game against them. Their pass defense is only #22 in the league and, as far as I've seen, are more susceptible to our style of offense...meaning a balanced attack. Favre is looking not quite incredible this season, 19 TD's & 16 INT's. And their running game is good but so is our run defense (see Priest Holmes vs. Denver ).

Basically, I think we match up far more favorably against the Pack than we do against Indy. Plus, Green Bay is only 4-3 at home this year. Their refurbishments must have sapped some of that Lambeau voodoo.
                          ------

Comment

Originally posted by tahuya man
                            Look at this, I almost agree. I would modify your view slightly. I think 9-7 is likely. 10-6 is possible, but won't be easy. Less than a 50/50 shot. 11-5 is an extreme longshot. Less than 10% chance. Green Bay will be tough, not because of Lambeau Field, but the Packers are tough. They've got a strong running game and Favre is healing and looking good. Their Defense is tough both against the run and pass. I think that's a tougher game than Indy.
                            i dont think 11-5 is an EXTREME longshot, but it is a longshot. after this offensive explosion against the chiefs, why cant we keep rolling, its not like we are going to face any dominant defensive teams these last 3 games. still, winning on the road is hard, but do-able
                            dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

1 reason that will stop us from goin to the playoffs jake plummer getting cold feet............and jake against green bay in that awful weather
                              2 parts of the #1 defence in the NFL !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X