Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compltion percentage dropped passes to blame.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...d-for-nfl-lead

This chart shows the teams with the most drops in the NFL. It only shows the top thirteen and the Broncos aren't even on it.

Comment

I don't buy any of this. However the low drops is also a result of low attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
        And Kyle Orton couldn't win games.
        There was a point in time where Kyle Orton had a great win/loss record. You're blinded by your homerism.

Comment

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
          I don't buy any of this. However the low drops is also a result of low attempts.
          Bahh beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by mdkTebow View Post
            Kyle Orton wasn't winning and isn't a sophomore / rookie.
            Kyle Orton played with much worse defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mortal View Post
              Kyle Orton played with much worse defense.
              Hmmm didn't realize we made some big personel moves after starting 1-4....oh wait that was just a joke I get it.

Comment

Dropped passes are part of the game, but (1) when the sample size of attempts is small, as it is here; and (2) when you're trying to evaluate a quarterback to decide whether or not to dump him, as is the case here, it's important to look closely and the number of drops or catchable balls. The point is not to place blame, but to bring an accurate picture into focus under a limited sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawggone View Post
                  Hmmm didn't realize we made some big personel moves after starting 1-4....oh wait that was just a joke I get it.
                  I'm speaking of his entire career as a Bronco, not just this year.

Comment

I'm curious as to how a "drop" is defined in official NFL parlance. In official NFL parlance, is a "catchable" pass that is not caught considered a "drop"?
                    The clever man delivers reasonable, rational, and sometimes irrefutable arguments. The wise man understands the futility of reasonable, rational, and irrefutable arguments. I'm neither wise, nor, I suspect, very clever.

Comment

There was a point in time where Kyle Orton had a great win/loss record. You're blinded by your homerism.
                      LOL.

Really?

Guess it's too bad for us that this 'point in time' had come and gone when this year's season started.

Buwahahahaha!

...and then...

wait....it gets better.

HE said homerism.

Buwahahaha!

Are you here all week?

I'll try the veal!

Comment

I'm speaking of his entire career as a Bronco, not just this year.
                        See now this is progress, we do agree that that Tebow went 5-1 with the same team KO went 1-4 with.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanBronc View Post
                          I'm curious as to how a "drop" is defined in official NFL parlance. In official NFL parlance, is a "catchable" pass that is not caught considered a "drop"?
                          From what I've read, no. A drop is what it sounds like. A catchable pass is one step removed from that -- could have been caught, but not really a drop.

The distinction is apparently real, because drops are a real statistic that is recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                            From what I've read, no. A drop is what it sounds like. A catchable pass is one step removed from that -- could have been caught, but not really a drop.

The distinction is apparently real, because drops are a real statistic that is recorded.
                            So is it determined as "in the hands and dropped before establishing control"?

Royal is listed as having 5 drops this season. This sounds about right considering this sort of harsh definition. In my opinion, there were a ton of catchable balls this season that simply weren't caught. It makes no sense to see a stat that says we have few dropped passes when staring at the screen and seeing catchable balls not caught repeatedly.
                            The clever man delivers reasonable, rational, and sometimes irrefutable arguments. The wise man understands the futility of reasonable, rational, and irrefutable arguments. I'm neither wise, nor, I suspect, very clever.

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                              I think I saw posted after the Detroit Debacle that there were 9 dropped passes in that one game alone.

There are plenty.. that bounce of the guys hands...
                              heck Royal has had 3 hit himtright in the numbers and he cant hang on.

the announcers have been calling it all along..

""Tebow's receivers have done him no favors here today.."

It is not just made up... even Decker..
                              as valuable as he has been.. has dropped a few.

Demaryus... Eddie... Matt Willis... the TE's.... we NEED them to step up!
                              I see what you are saying but I'm sure lots of teams have a high or similar drop per attempt ratio. like someone said earlier Rdgers would of had 88% the other night if it wasn't for drops. Bottom line is wrs dropping balls is part of the game.

Everyone needs to step it up I also agree with that even more so than any other WRS in the NFL.

Good accurate QB's make decent WRS Great and nobody WRS very serviceable.

I.E. Peyton - Wayne Peyton - Garcon or (the white kid from Ohio State lol he fell off the map when Peyton got hurt)

I hope people get what I'm saying way too late for me!

Comment

Originally posted by xOrangeCrushx View Post
                                Reposted this with a title to it since other thread wasn't so much about this.

Wonder what other good QBS with a good CMP% would be if you count the "dropped passes" ?????? All WR's drop passes so imagine Tims would still be near the bottom.

Say Tebow has had 13 passes dropped over the last 6 games (Royal could have dropped Ortons passes as well)

That puts him @54.5 an increase of about 9%

Without adjusting anyone else's stats he is still tied for 30th with Christian Ponder. Only Blaine Gabbert and Curtis Painter are behind him.

Lets say he has had 20 dropped 59.4% that's an increase of 14%

Without adjusting anyone else's stats he is in 23rd place behind Matt Cassel and .3 in front of Tarvaris Jackson

Lets say he has had 26 passes dropped that puts him at 63.6% an increase of about 20% increase

Without adjusting anyone else's stats that puts him Tied for 6th place with Ben Rothlisberger

His completion percentage is really that bad.
                                I don't personally put too much stock in completion percentages. Far too many factors can affect it, and most of them the QB's aren't able to control.

Historically, QB's were judged by 3rd down conversions, yards per attempt, and their int ratios.

This fascination with judging QB's by completions more than results is a relatively new thing, mostly just in the last 10-15 years.

I blame the rise of fantasy football and video games.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X