Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compltion percentage dropped passes to blame.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mortal View Post
    Kyle Orton didn't get to use this excuse.
    Kyle orton isn't a member of this team anymore move on.....
    sigpic

Comment

kyle orton had a #1 reciever he had played with the last 2 years to develop timing with . he doesnt have an excuse

Comment

Originally posted by vLordChronicv View Post
        kyle orton had a #1 reciever he had played with the last 2 years to develop timing with . he doesnt have an excuse
        What about while Kyle Orton was the QB and also Jay Cutler Eddie Royal had one of the lowest drop percentages in the NFL.

78 incompletions. How many of those were drops ?

Comment

Classic

Originally posted by MH Stampede View Post
          I don't personally put too much stock in completion percentages. Far too many factors can affect it, and most of them the QB's aren't able to control.

Historically, QB's were judged by 3rd down conversions, yards per attempt, and their int ratios.

This fascination with judging QB's by completions more than results is a relatively new thing, mostly just in the last 10-15 years.

I blame the rise of fantasy football and video games.

Talk about a hypocrit.

Do you remember the argument we had about the completion percentage statistic. I argued about 50 people in one thread that completion percentage is not a relavant stat for this reason. You argued in every way possible and turned into a Orton debate when for the most part it had nothing to do with him. How the tides have now changed.

I listed the following reasons to why the stat does not show QB accuracy and the stat is not a good one.

Remember this list:

Also some other variables which affect it:

Blocking.

Lack of run game.

Throwing attempts.

Poor decision making.

Offense scheme.

Ability of the receivers.
          Apparenbtly I was just wrongly blaming people to why the stat is a hopeless one at that.

I said accuracy is determined by the eye test and you laughed at me.

Comment

First off, are the haters really trying to use completion percentage as a reason that Tebow is not good?

2nd, think about it. If our offense is working right, it might be 15 to 20 minutes real time between throws for Tim Tebow. How many QBs do you know can come out cold and hit a downfield pass?

These really aren't difficult concepts to grasp.

And if people want to use the eye test, use the most recent game. Tebow looked pretty good against San Diego. I think there should've been 12 completions, at least, for that game. He put the ball on the receivers against San Diego.

Finally, anyone throwing long balls downfield like Tebow would have a lower completion percentage. Anyone. What's a higher percentage pass? A 5 yarder? Or a 55 yarder? Take all of the QBs in the league, and which one is completed more? The 5 yarder or the 55 yarder?

You want accuracy? Tebow put the ball right on Jeremiah Johnson twice on a slant. He was 1 for 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
              First off, are the haters really trying to use completion percentage as a reason that Tebow is not good?
              Not me

2nd, think about it. If our offense is working right, it might be 15 to 20 minutes real time between throws for Tim Tebow. How many QBs do you know can come out cold and hit a downfield pass?
              Never thought of that but good point. However a bit exagerated. How many passes is he throwing per game. 20 or around that. That means a game would go for 6.6 hours if there was 20 minutes between each throw. I get your point though.

These really aren't difficult concepts to grasp.

And if people want to use the eye test, use the most recent game. Tebow looked pretty good against San Diego. I think there should've been 12 completions, at least, for that game. He put the ball on the receivers against San Diego.
              Yes that was by far his best thjrowing performance.

Finally, anyone throwing long balls downfield like Tebow would have a lower completion percentage. Anyone. What's a higher percentage pass? A 5 yarder? Or a 55 yarder? Take all of the QBs in the league, and which one is completed more? The 5 yarder or the 55 yarder?

You want accuracy? Tebow put the ball right on Jeremiah Johnson twice on a slant. He was 1 for 2.
              Needs to do it more often though however he showed improvment so hopefully it continues.

Comment

I bet a lot of people want to agree and not fight with me anymore about the completion percentage stat being a terrible stat.

Comment

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

Talk about a hypocrit.
                  I didn't read the rest. When you start off a post throwing around insults, it only shows everyone that you are not interested in anything other of trolling.
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't read the rest. When you start off a post throwing around insults, it only shows everyone that you are not interested in anything other of trolling.
                    And you know it's true. That is why you don't want to read the rest. Classic

No response I suppose. Maybe an apology.

Comment

Try this then

Do you remember the argument we had about the completion percentage statistic. I argued about 50 people in one thread that completion percentage is not a relavant stat for this reason. You argued in every way possible and turned into a Orton debate when for the most part it had nothing to do with him. How the tides have now changed.

I listed the following reasons to why the stat does not show QB accuracy and the stat is not a good one.

Remember this list:

Also some other variables which affect it:

Blocking.

Lack of run game.

Throwing attempts.

Poor decision making.

Offense scheme.

Ability of the receivers.
                      Apparently I was just wrongly blaming people to why the stat is a hopeless one at that.

I said accuracy is determined by the eye test and you laughed at me.

Comment

To be honest I think looking at Tebow's completion percentage is the wrong thing to do. Yes there does seem to be an above average amount of drops from the receivers. There were what 3-4 dropped passes for first downs in the last game alone. But the other thing is the way the offense works now its RUN RUN RUN then a long pass. Most the throws that are put in for Tebow are ones that go deep. Those high risk big reward throws that are often not completed. I want to give Tim credit cause he's doing those throws and not throwing a lot of interceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos2024 View Post
                          To be honest I think looking at Tebow's completion percentage is the wrong thing to do. Yes there does seem to be an above average amount of drops from the receivers. There were what 3-4 dropped passes for first downs in the last game alone. But the other thing is the way the offense works now its RUN RUN RUN then a long pass. Most the throws that are put in for Tebow are ones that go deep. Those high risk big reward throws that are often not completed. I want to give Tim credit cause he's doing those throws and not throwing a lot of interceptions.
                          Behind the LOS: 15-19
                          1-10 Yards: 24-45
                          11-20 Yards: 11-31
                          21-30 Yards: 5-15
                          31-40 Yards: 1-11
                          41+ Yards: 0-4

There the throws he is making.

30 long passes.

Comment

From another thread

I've been saying this for weeks.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...3&postcount=48

Numerous drops (on not very many attempts), almost NO screen passes, constant long ball throws (often on 3rd down) and WISE throwaways when no one's open (to avoid a pick) will ALWAYS lead to a low completion percentage - that's just science. None of the pundits knocking his completion percentage are actually watching his games. They're just blithely reading the statlines. He went 31-35 against one of the best college defenses in his last game of college. You don't throw like that when you "SUCK" at accuracy.

Comment

Yes, because he is the only QB in the NFL dealing with drops...come on.

If we are bumping Tebow's % up, you can do that with the entire league and he is still just as deficient.
                              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

not just about drops

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                                Yes, because he is the only QB in the NFL dealing with drops...come on.

If we are bumping Tebow's % up, you can do that with the entire league and he is still just as deficient.
                                this thread may have started around the topic of drops, but it's grown well beyond that. Unless you can offer hard mathematical numbers, too many folks on this board have proven that he is in no way deficient in the comp % department when you look take an honest look at everything else. Please offer some real insight into why you think he's deficient - give us some hard numbers to look at. It's the least you can do

Comment

Working...
                                X