Proving He Belongs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proving He Belongs.....

Rookie cornerback Chris Harris wasn't invited to the scouting combine. He wasn't drafted. But the Broncos gave Harris a chance as a college free agent and he's made the most of it, becoming an impact player for the Denver defense.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Calvin Johnson, Antonio Gates, Santonio Holmes – these are NFL stars Chris Harris was expected to merely watch on television once he graduated college.

Instead, the undrafted cornerback from Kansas University is lining up across from them.

He’s running stride-for-stride with them. Tackling them. Denying passes intended for them.

And proving every day he belongs on the same field as them.

Harris -- the Broncos nickel corner who signed as a college free agent -- leads all Denver defensive backs with 46 tackles in his first season. He’s also defended four passes and recorded his first career interception in Week 9 against the Raiders.

“I always had confidence I could do this,” Harris said.

Few others did.

Few knew he was even giving it a shot.

When it comes to draft prospects, perhaps no one is more informed than NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock.

Mayock watches countless hours of tape, studying as many prospects as he can to best analyze the hundreds of selections that take place on draft day.

But if you asked him about Chris Harris leading up to the 2011 NFL Draft, Mayock disappointingly admits he wouldn’t have much to offer.

“I'm mad at myself,” Mayock said. “He was way off radar screens. Matter of fact, he wasn't invited to the combine. I did no tape work on the kid whatsoever because he was not listed as a draftable player.”

“So here he is out of nowhere, starting in the nickel package, making plays, prominent on special teams -- I couldn't be happier for this kid.”

Mayock was so intrigued by the 5-foot-10, 190-pound cornerback that he made it his personal mission to find out more about Harris when he came to Denver in Week 11 to broadcast the Jets matchup on Thursday Night Football.

“I'm going to spend the next couple days trying to figure out who this kid is,” Mayock said when he arrived at Broncos practice facility. “What did I miss? What did other teams miss?”

Harris, along with his teammates and coaches, can help fill in the gaps.

Broncos rookie safety Quinton Carter played against Harris and the Jayhawks for four years in the Big 12 conference.

The former Oklahoma star was selected by Denver in the fourth round and when he heard Harris had signed as an undrafted free agent, he knew the organization added another promising young defensive back.

“I knew what a great player he was,” Carter said, adding that he was surprised Harris didn’t hear his name called on draft day.

Harris started all four years at Kansas and was a team captain, tasked with covering the opponent’s top target throughout his college career. Still, he went unnoticed and wasn’t invited to appear at the scouting combine.

Broncos rookie safety Quinton Carter played against Harris and the Jayhawks for four years in the Big 12 conference.

The former Oklahoma star was selected by Denver in the fourth round and when he heard Harris had signed as an undrafted free agent, he knew the organization added another promising young defensive back.

“I knew what a great player he was,” Carter said, adding that he was surprised Harris didn’t hear his name called on draft day.

Harris started all four years at Kansas and was a team captain, tasked with covering the opponent’s top target throughout his college career. Still, he went unnoticed and wasn’t invited to appear at the scouting combine.

"He fell through the cracks of the NFL system," General Manager Brian Xanders said. "He's one that overcame it."

Harris has what scouts and stop-watches are incapable of measuring -- competitive drive.

And to make a team as an undrafted college free agent, that trait is essential.

“He has something,” secondary coach Ron Milus said. “He has a competitive spirit that he brings to the table.”

“I just try to be consistent,” Harris said. “And try to show the coaches that I’m the man for the job.”

That determined work ethic made an impression with one of the Broncos team captains -- 10-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey. When asked to recall when he realized Harris could contribute to the defense, Bailey didn’t hesitate to reply.

“Training camp,” Bailey said. “You could just tell by the way he competes.”

"Immediately the first day, he flashed toughness, competitiveness, finishing effort, fiestiness, special teams play," Xanders said. "He did a great job of creating his role on this team. Nobody gives you a job in this league and you're evaluated every day. He did a great job of creating a role for himself."

Harris makes sure he’s never outworked at practice, and that mindset helped him secure a spot on the active roster.

“He comes and competes every day,” Defensive Coordinator Dennis Allen added. “When you do that, as long as you’re above the line athletically—which obviously he is—you’re going to have a chance to play.”

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...9-59e42faf71bc

Haven't really noticed him on the field, but a CB with a lot of tackles normally indicates a guy that is being thrown AT and who is letting the guys make the catch and then tackling them.

The best stat line for a CB is zero tackles zero deflections. Means he was covering his guy so tight the ball never headed his direction.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroGator View Post
      Haven't really noticed him on the field, but a CB with a lot of tackles normally indicates a guy that is being thrown AT and who is letting the guys make the catch and then tackling them.

The best stat line for a CB is zero tackles zero deflections. Means he was covering his guy so tight the ball never headed his direction.
      Could also mean he is helping in run support, but one thing I do notice is if the WR does catch it he stops them without allowing really any YAC

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

Me gusta

Ive seen him making some good plays for us. As for having tackles on his stat line... he plays special teams so he gets a lot of those stats there. You can't really expect opposing QBs to avoid throwing at him entirely when u have Champ and Goody ballin on both sides this year. I like his potential...I like havin the underdogs on my squad, heart and determination are essential ingredients for a role-player like Harris
        MVPeyton!!

Comment

"Harris -- the Broncos nickel corner" Does that help explain anything?

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
          Could also mean he is helping in run support, but one thing I do notice is if the WR does catch it he stops them without allowing really any YAC
          Beat me to it.
          Last edited by kevlar441; 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM.
          "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Comment

Good Find

Harris is one of my favorite players on the defense.He is all of what was said in the article.I first noticed him in the Miami game and was like "Who is that",before you know it he made a game changing play knocking the ball out in the closing seconds of the game to seal the win.He has more than filled in for Sydquan,Cassius,and Perrish Cox this season.

It will be a great secondary with Harris, Sydquan Thompson,Bailey,and Carter next season.I can't wait.

Comment

All I have to say is Chris Harris is a stud. He always seems to be around the ball making a play. I am suprised to hear that people have not seen him. I have seen nothing but great things from this kid. He plays his angles really well, covers great and has the attitude of a Rod Smith(never quit).

Hats off to EFX for picking him up. I think he may be a heck of a player for years to come.
              sigpic

Comment

Good kid, good story. Keep it up Harris.
                sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

Harris is good, plus he has mentors like Champ and Dawk. There was a secondary player we had earlier this year, I swear the guy watched the game more then he played and he was on the field!!!! I forget his name but they forums threw a party when he got cut from the team...
                  sigpic

Comment

Champ gets lots of tackles...
                    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

He seems to make a lot of tackles on 3rd down 2 yards from the line to gain. He reminds me a lot of Antoine Winfield. Obviously he isn't near Winfield's level yet but he is cut from the same cloth.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Blondie79

Comment

So I guess Champ allows 80 catches every year then?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giddy'up View Post
                          Harris is good, plus he has mentors like Champ and Dawk. There was a secondary player we had earlier this year, I swear the guy watched the game more then he played and he was on the field!!!! I forget his name but they forums threw a party when he got cut from the team...
                          Nate Jones?

Comment

Originally posted by Giddy'up View Post

Yes, he was by far the WORST cb I have ever seen in my life.

The pats just signed him too...LOLOLOLOL

His name was Nate Jones
                            So far:
                            FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                            1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

This is incorrect ...you will always have the ball thrown your way covered or not so pass deflection are always a plus and also that's why it's bad to automatically make that assumption of where his tackles came from

Champ had 80+ tackles in '06 when he had imo the most dominate year by a CB in the history of the NFL ...He was out of his mind in coverage but he was still that good and run support cuz fewer than 10 of those 80 tackles came from a pass being completed on him

Comment

Working...
                              X