Shanahan To Miami not a stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan To Miami not a stretch?

I don't want to turn this into a big thing although I think the media is going to until after Miami hires a new coach. Articles like this, while speculation, still scares me!

In the uncertain age of free-agency, there have always been some surprise head-coaching changes most years. NFL owners can be an impatient bunch.
    With Dave Wannstedt gone in Miami, the remaining two coaches in trouble are Jim Haslett of the Saints and Butch Davis with the Browns. Haslett is obvious because of his under-performing team while Davis is dealing with new owner Randy Lerner, who has become much more involved with the franchise than his late father ever was.

However, the interesting report this week by Adam Schefter on the NFL Network that Broncos coach Mike Shanahan might be a possibility with the Miami Dolphins was dismissed immediately by Shanahan. Of course, we know Schefter well enough — when he covered the Broncos beat Shanahan confided in him a lot — that we believe the reporter, not the coach. It also makes some sense.

In fact, last weekend, a friend of Denver owner Pat Bowlen told me he thought Shanahan was safe as long as he made the playoffs. But it wasn't a definite endorsement. Remember, when Steve Spurrier left the U. of Florida, Shanahan considered returning to the Gators for about 48 hours. He opted to say no to Florida when Bowlen re-worked his contract and actually extended it.

Although Shanahan has won two Super Bowls, he accomplished the feat with John Elway and Terrell Davis six seasons ago. He hasn't won a playoff game since, losing wild-card games after the 2000 and 2003 seasons.

Granted, nothing is happening right now. But Shanahan would be appealing to Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, who wants to hire a star. Seriously, he'd hire Bill Parcells right now if he could.

Nothing has been going right for Shanahan in Denver. He's had total control there for years and one of his biggest decisions was giving Brian Griese a big contract and then dumping him on the street. Today, Griese has rejuvenated his career under Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay. Whoever thought that would happen?

Now, Shanahan has tied his career to Jake Plummer's star. And he also traded away Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey. Basically, Shanahan's status in Denver probably will come down to his game with the Chargers on Dec. 5. If San Diego upsets Denver and somehow wins the AFC West, all bets are off on Shanahan's future in Denver.

Miami might suddenly become appealing.

Hes signed for 4 more years hes not going anywhere

Comment

I sure hope you're right. I think you are, but you never know for sure.

Comment

he made it official hes not going

Comment

He said he thinks its funny how everyone knows what hes doing but him!

He said he is very happy here and isnt going anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosboyeee
            Although Shanahan has won two Super Bowls, he accomplished the feat with John Elway and Terrell Davis six seasons ago. He hasn't won a playoff game since, losing wild-card games after the 2000 and 2003 seasons.
            Man, I heart that quote. I hope he goes, Kubiak too...

*This has been todays random hate post, bring on the flames*

Comment

If Shanny can tell little white lies about player injuries, whats stopping him in this case?™
              This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake
                If Shanny can tell little white lies about player injuries, whats stopping him in this case?™
                LOL stop it.
                :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake
                  Agreed. It's not like he would come out now, in the middle of the season, with the Broncos right in the thick of a playoff run and say "Yeah I am considering the Dolphins spot." Why would he do that? So he can lose the confidence of his current team? Of course he is going to deny it.

I just hope he is being truthful. Only time will tell. But it does seem like he has a lot invested in this team, and it would be a shame to see him take off for another especially if they don't win a playoff game!

Comment

Why would he leave a team he already has a great amount of control in for a team that he would have to rebuild. The Broncos are playoff contenders every year why would you leave that for the Dolphins? He's not going anywhere!
                    BRONCOS fan is in my blood!
                    IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/vannote/cutlersig.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

That makes total sense, but you never know now a days. We'll see. Let's just focus on getting the first playoff win in a while and worry about what happens in the off season in the off season.

Here's to Shanny being the coach for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by bornbroncofan
                        Why would he leave a team he already has a great amount of control in for a team that he would have to rebuild. The Broncos are playoff contenders every year why would you leave that for the Dolphins? He's not going anywhere!
                        If you really look at the offense, all they really need is a decent running back. They'll have 2 decent WR's next year (Booker & Boston), Fiedler may actually play better in a WC offense, and they'll most likely have first pick. to Wannie's credit, their D seems to be solid, its just the O missing a couple elements.™

Just playing devil's advocate here®
                        This space for rent

Comment

You forgot about their best WR...Chris Chambers!

Shanny has more control over this team than any NFL coach has over theirs...He wont go anywhere unless he's forced out...

Comment

Originally posted by AlWilsonOwnsU
                            You forgot about their best WR...Chris Chambers!
                            Chambers will be a UFA, so I omitted his name on the assumptionthat he won't be a Phin next year. As for Shanny, yes he came out and quelled this rumor but it obviously won't die™
                            This space for rent

Comment

Shanny has been in denver a long time, knows the team well. Would probably only leave if the money is much better in miami.

Comment

Working...
                              X