Tebow v. Big Ben: First 10 Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tebow v. Big Ben: First 10 Starts

Since Tim reminds me so much of Big Ben at times I thought I'd put together a simple comparison of the first 10 starts of their career.

It's about what I thought; Ben a better completion %, but he was on a veteran team. Tim has more TD's & better TD/Int ratio.

Add in his rushing numbers and you can make a STRONG case that his first 10 starts are far more productive than Big Ben's back in 2004.

*Note: Tim's stats only include games where he has started.

Tim's first 10 starts: 111/229. 1,626 yards. 13 passing touchdowns / 4 int.
    * 630 rushing yards, 5 td's.

Total: 2,256 all purpose yards. 18 touchdowns. 4 int.

Ben's first 10 starts: 141/212. 1719 yards. 12 passing touchdowns / 6 int.
    * 144 rushing yards, 1 td.

Total: 1,863 all purpose yards. 13 touchdowns. 6 int.

The thing to notice is the low number of passing attempts they gave Big Ben. People think it's unheard of, but when you're winning games and have a green quarterback who's physical, the recipe to develop Big Ben was to keep the number of attempts down.

Comment

Wow good find, Tebow reminds me of Big Ben as well but I didn't know their stats were that similar. And Ben won all his games his rookie year and lost to the Pats at home in the afc championship game.
      Follow me on Twitter
      @gmoney8150 Personal account

My Broncos account @All_DenBroncos

^^^Follow^^^

Comment

I told some Steelers fans at work earlier this year young Tebow reminds of young Big Ben but without the raping

Comment

Big Ben is an excellent model for Tebow's development (although Tim some wasted time, so the timeframe won't be quite the same). Ben also got some serious re-work done on his mechanics in the offseason. Raised his game.

I think the big, hulkish frame is not conducive to a quick snappy release. But there are some techniques to compact everything and get it out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
            I told some Steelers fans at work earlier this year young Tebow reminds of young Big Ben but without the raping
            Tebow is straight class.......I hope are brass give him the reigns after this season

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
              The thing to notice is the low number of passing attempts they gave Big Ben. People think it's unheard of, but when you're winning games and have a green quarterback who's physical, the recipe to develop Big Ben was to keep the number of attempts down.
              Yep. As I was going through their individual game stats, the attempts looked all very similar, the 2 outliers which made Tim's attempts higher being the final game last year (36 attempts) and the Detroit game this year (39). Of course the KC game (8) kind of negated one of those.

But, in his first 10 games, the most attempts Ben had was 25. Most were in the 18-20 attempts range.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                Give him time he'll develop.....wait.....

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeCrush_304 View Post
                  Wow good find, Tebow reminds me of Big Ben as well but I didn't know their stats were that similar. And Ben won all his games his rookie year and lost to the Pats at home in the afc championship game.
                  Yes, I don't think it's a mistake that playing a low-risk brand of football is a winning formula. It may not be pretty, but done right it works year in, year out.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeCrush_304 View Post
                    That roll out touchdown to Thomas reminded me exactly of Ben. Thomas is a great WR for us because his team was big on the Option which gives him a lot of experience on improvising.

Comment

Very, very interesting stat comparison.
                      sigpic

Comment

You gotta throw 40 times a game to win in this league tho right?? Haha goes to show how fast people forget

Comment

I always thought tebow was kind of like ben (aside from raping girls) and hope maybe someday he can become a similar style of passing qb. Ben is known for being hard to bring down and buying time to find his reciever.

What I find really hard to believe is tebow having more attempts than ben.

I remember watching nearly all those games since my dads a steeler fan and I know very well that they ran the ball a ton without attempting many passes. However tebow had a game where the threw the ball....8 times! I suppose he had a few games where he threw a lot last year and he had a decent count vs the lions, guess it skews the numbers.

Comment

I said that to my friend who's a Steelers fan, kinda similar, he does need to work on his mechanics though.

Still a long release.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbroncs View Post
                              I always thought tebow was kind of like ben (aside from raping girls) and hope maybe someday he can become a similar style of passing qb. Ben is known for being hard to bring down and buying time to find his reciever.

What I find really hard to believe is tebow having more attempts than ben.

I remember watching nearly all those games since my dads a steeler fan and I know very well that they ran the ball a ton without attempting many passes. However tebow had a game where the threw the ball....8 times! I suppose he had a few games where he threw a lot last year and he had a decent count vs the lions, guess it skews the numbers.
                              That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this. For as much as T2 has been maligned for running a 'gimmick offense', as well as the coaching staff, it's unsupported.

Here are their attempts by game:

Tim
                              1. 16
                              2. 29
                              3. 36
                              4. 27
                              5. 39
                              6. 21
                              7. 8
                              8. 20
                              9. 18
                              10. 15