X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos O @ Minnesota 12-4-11

The Broncos ran 50 plays:
    • * 28 from under center formations (2 pass attempts);
      * 22 from direct snap/shotgun formations (13 pass attempts).

Of the 35 rushing attempts, 2 were scrambles on a called pass play, 4 were Option and the other 29 were straight handoffs including Willis McGahee's 24 yard TD run. 2 of the Option plays were keep and 2 were give.

Of the 15 pass attempts, 5 were PAP 2 of which were Option action. Both TD passes were PAP 1 of which was Option action.

The direct snap/shotgun formations used were:
    • * Power Pistol (like offset I w/QB @ FB depth) 5 times w/3 PAP;
      * Bunch 3 times with 1 Option play and 2 pass plays;
      * Spread 14 times w/2 Option plays (including the XPA) and 9 pass attempts.

The under center formations used were:
    • * I Formation 22 times (4 offset/Jack, 14 Pro w/1 Option play, 1 Slot and 3 Wing);
      * 5 miscellaneous Single Back formations;
      * The Double Wing was shown once at the end of the game when Tebow was trying to center the ball between the hashmarks for the winning FGA.

With the emphasis on running the ball, one thing to keep an eye on is line blocking. A basic is to see if anyone pulls. Zane Beadles has become quite the pulling G. He has led Tebow into the EZ on a number of occasions this year including the 2XPA in this game.

I'm sure the Bears have software that crunches the numbers inputed. However, the DC and his assistants will watch all the video. It won't be an easy game to scout. Option was only run four times at Minnesota, but 27 times @ SD, 12 times against the Jets, 20 times @ KC and 20 times @ Oakland all from a variety of formations.

For the Bears, formation recognition won't help them if the Broncos run a lot of Option. Also, the Broncos have proven Option to be viable from their direct snap/shotgun formations. But, @ Minnesota they attempted almost all their passes from direct snap/shotgun.

So far, the Broncos haven't thrown many passes from the I Formation, but they did attempt 2 @ Minnesota one of which was PAP that went for 42 yards. Maybe they'll throw more from the I instead of running most of the time. Who knows? McCoy is up to something with creating tendencies.
    Last edited by samparnell; 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

The 2nd half offense seemed much different than the 1st. Were the formations significantly different per half or just the plays run from them?

Comment

Sweet breakdown as always Sam.

Comment

Formations by Half

Originally posted by Coach9 View Post
        The 2nd half offense seemed much different than the 1st. Were the formations significantly different per half or just the plays run from them?
        The Broncos only had the ball 22 minutes for the whole game and only ran 19 plays during the 1st Half which featured the Safety, both sacks and both fumbles lost. Subtract these numbers from the totals and that will answer your question. Sure glad I marked halftime.

1st Half Formations
        • * Spread 7;
          * Bunch 3;
          * Power Pistol 2;
          * Single Back 4;
          * I Formation 3 (2 Pro, 1 Jack/offset).

Looks like the 2nd half was dominated by the I Formation, and 9 pass attempts were in the 2nd half. Looks like classic run to set up the pass. Need to remember how quickly the Broncos scored at the start of the 3rd quarter. They scored via TD pass on plays # 28 & 32. McGahee scored on play #38.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Thanks Sam, that was very informative and helps after a game to try to understand McCoy's play calling and Fox philosophy...
          BRONCO FAN FOR LIFE

Comment

Sweet breakdown. One thing that seems to be overlooked that is small, yet important is that Tim seems to have cured his issues with taking a snap from under center.
            Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
            You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Comment

Originally posted by jetdrumz View Post
              Sweet breakdown. One thing that seems to be overlooked that is small, yet important is that Tim seems to have cured his issues with taking a snap from under center.
              There is truth in this. The bronco's are also breaking the tendency of only running when under center.

Comment

I think we are in a GREAT position with our offense. We weren't dependent on the option this week, with most of our runs being "normal" run plays. I think, going forward, that will be huge. As teams fall into the trap of playing our run like any other teams run game, we can hold the option in our back pocket and, IMO, be deadly for opposing D's.

And of course, our passing game is opening up. Would like to see our TE's involved a little more though.
                Don't give up... Don't ever give up

Comment

Our play action is pretty devastating right now. There is a reason that some of our receivers had 5-10 yards of separation, and it is directly attributed to fact that we run the ball ~70% of the time, and Tim sells the PA pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by phaytal View Post
                    Our play action is pretty devastating right now. There is a reason that some of our receivers had 5-10 yards of separation, and it is directly attributed to fact that we run the ball ~70% of the time, and Tim sells the PA pretty well.
                    Tim has actually got *GREAT* play action fakes. Possibly the best I've ever seen. First thing I noticed in the 07 spring game.

Comment

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
                      Tim has actually got *GREAT* play action fakes. Possibly the best I've ever seen. First thing I noticed in the 07 spring game.
                      He does run the play action really well. Even in an empty set you have to respect the ability to run.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Oh yea... I love that play action to himself. (we called it the rocker step @ UF)

Great point.

Comment

Coach,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm seeing from an offensive standpoint is that we're winning because defenses aren't built to defend this brand of football. EVERYONE is built to rush the passer in a conventional rush, and cover the pass in a conventional coverage. What we're doing is making those pass rushers think of something else before they can charge in and rush the passer.

Jared Allen wasn't a factor too much off of those zone option play-action passes because his first responsibility was to playing the zone read / option. That's genius.

But what makes us unique and potentially great is the fact that other teams in the NFL can't gear themselves toward us because they need to be geared toward the New Englands, New Orleans, Green Bays, Detroits, and New York Giants. So if we build like this with an emphasis on the running game with a little option thrown in there, we have the advantage. And if we have a game every now and then where Tebow runs the football 15 to 20 times, then it really puts teams into a bind. We don't have to do it often. We just need to show it every now and then.

But, the advantage comes from our defense. We can continue to build to beat New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, etc. without 2nd thought. It's other teams that are at the disadvantage to us, because they can't gear themselves to beat only us.

Someone will copy it, maybe with RGIII next year. But I don't know that RGIII is the gritty guy that Tebow is. Maybe he's so good he doesn't need to be. But a lot of people have run this offense, but not many have run it like Tim Tebow.
                          Last edited by Crazy8; 12-06-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Sam,

On a sidenote, how do you attack the Bears? To me, they have too much speed to try to outflank on the edges...at least early. I think we need to run right at them and grind it out. I think we can do that. It'll be interesting to see how the Bears play us. They have a lot of speed, but I'm not sure they're heavy enough in the butt to stop us at Mile High if we run it right at them for 50 plays.

I think we pass early to have success early. That seems to go against what I said above, but we need to have early success, to keep their D on the field. They're going to come in geared against the run. We need to show it, but we also need to show that wonderful play-action passing game that's becoming such a weapon. Then as the game goes, run more, and more, and more. In the 4th quarter, we shouldn't need to throw it more than 3 or 4 times.

Comment

Great points Crazy8.

On the QB carrying the ball issue, I'd like to see 10 option-esque plays a game, 2-3 called qb runs a game max. Tebow will still decide to pull the ball down a few times and that's excellent. I'm more comfortable with Timmy running 10-15 times then 15-20.

RG3 is closer to Vick than to Tebow. Durability will be a much larger question.

Comment

Working...
                              X