Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option

Originally posted by Potzer01 View Post
    I believe the shotgun option portion will last as long as Tim does. I'm not a big fan of the under-center option. That's just my taste however. I believe the spread option portion has a future in the nfl.

You do make a good point on the triple option however. Running the FB dive there takes a lot of stress off Tebow.

Personally I prefer the TE/H-Back shovel pass triple(high risk reward) to the fb dive triple(low risk, low reward 3 yards and a cloud of dust if you will).
    Triple Option from the I probably puts less wear and tear on the QB than Sprint/Speed Option.

One running play I haven't seen the Broncos run is Trap. Trap hasn't been seen in a long time in the NFL. In their heyday, the Steelers were a great Trap offense.

Without the EZ view, it's hard to tell what the line splits are. That has a bearing on inside run plays. College Spread Option teams use pretty wide splits.

I was reviewing an article by Homer Smith recently on attacking the Double Eagle Defense (aka Bear). One of the plays he suggested was Trap. I found that interesting because Trap wouldn't be my first choice in attacking the T-N-T portion of the interior DL presented by the Double Eagle.

If the Broncos could run Trap, they could run Trap Option. Trap would work best with a quick FB. I was amazed when Tebow scored on Trap from Empty behind Beadles' block.

Beadles and Kuper are good enough pullers to run Trap. They might be able to run it out of that Power Pistol formation and hand off to McGahee.

Another play Homer Smith suggested as a possibility in attacking Double Eagle is Counter Option which the Broncos have run.
    Last edited by samparnell; 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Without the EZ view, it's hard to tell what the line splits are. That has a bearing on inside run plays. College Spread Option teams use pretty wide splits.
      I'm no expert however I was under the impression that Oregon does, Rich Rod's did.

The more multiple ones did/do not, Meyer(BG/Utah/UF/OSU) didn't, nor does Chizik(Auburn), nor does GT.

Its my understanding that the more athletic your OL is, the less the Wide Splits help you as they make it harder to pull since there is more distance to cover.

Comment

What i would like to know is how would Darryll Hackney do in this system as Tebows backup ? is he still in football?

Comment

I'm not well-versed in these technicalities and don't mean to nitpick but I'm curious because Tebow's quote in this DP article seems to differ from original post.
          We didn't run the option one time against Minnesota. We ran one read (run), but it wasn't an option. We didn't have one option the whole game.
          http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19494183

Comment

Originally posted by jmag View Post
            I'm not well-versed in these technicalities and don't mean to nitpick but I'm curious because Tebow's quote in this DP article seems to differ from original post.

That would explain he didn't "give" on the designed run to the left where he got tackled for a loss.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Here you go, Al. I'm home now.

Originally posted by jmag View Post

play #3 Spread Option give to #23 1 yard

play #7 Pro I right Triple Option give #46 1 yard

play #8 Bunch right Option keep #15 1 yard

play #39 XPA Spread Option keep behind #68 pull & lead #15 2 yards, good
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
              X