Goodman and the Slant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodman and the Slant

So he has been picked on in the slant for at least the past two games and have really sucked.

The Broncos aren't going to sit him.

So how do you guys think we can fix this issue?
    "It's been all business. Everybody's asking me where I'm living. I been living over here, living here at the facility."
    sigpic

He needs to bump the WRs off the line and have a FS help over the top. Let Champ handle his side and Dawk play the run like he does most of the time. IMO

Comment

He needs to play the slant better.

Boom.

Problem solved.

Someone call me up an NFL team, I need to be a DC somewhere.
      Just a diehard Broncos Fan trying to make it living in Charger/Raider country (SoCal)

Comment

Bring a LB underneath
        sigpic
        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Ask Dennis Allen.

Originally posted by Drzaius View Post
          So he has been picked on in the slant for at least the past two games and have really sucked.

The Broncos aren't going to sit him.

So how do you guys think we can fix this issue?
          Dennis Allen uses multiple defenses with several split fronts, at least two odd fronts and different GL looks. All of these have a bunch of different coverages and blitz packages.

The Corners will line up differently, drop differently, rotate and invert depending on the call and Allen has a bunch of them.

What you're talking about, taking away one route by one receiver, is a matter of lining up and playing it a certain way. Taking away X slant means lining up inside, looking away from the QB, jamming the X at the snap and making him go sideline or downfield. It's a cover 1/0 look. If X goes downfield, run hip to hip and watch his head. When he turns his head, so does the Corner.

Covering Z is different because they are off and sometimes in motion. Intentionally taking away slant by one receiver with one Corner may leave other areas exposed and may not fit in with the whole coverage plan.

Slant is not always open. Concentrating on one individual player loses sight of the fact that there are eleven defenders all of whom have an assignment. In order for slant to be open, passing lanes must be open. DL takes away some of those. If a Blitz is coming, that can take away slant.

X or Z slant is only Corner's responsibility in certain of the coverages. It is a Safety or Backer in some. At Minnesota, Harvin was lining up and in motion in a multitude of different places. Was he a slant receiver? I'd need to watch Minnesota's O again. Normally slant isn't a big play unless there is no depth (e.g., cover 0). If you haven't noticed, Allen's D is a bend don't break philosophy. He has used the 3-3-5 look quite a bit in passing situations. Who has slant on those calls is anyone's guess.

Obsessing about one route, one player whom you would like to see benched or cut is counterproductive and loses sight of the big picture. All players have strengths and weaknesses.

Andre Goodman is an excellent cover corner. You ought to be complaining about some of the bogus flags he has drawn. He has not been a very physical player during his career. He isn't known as a great tackler and jamming a bigger player out of a slant route isn't his forte. You are complaining about one route for a guy who has made some big plays at key moments (i.e., Jets, Vikings). Have you noticed how he has come up in run support this season? I never thought I'd see him do that well.

We don't know Dennis Allen's plan, but I have confidence in his defense. You win as a team and lose as a team. There are no scapegoats.
          Last edited by samparnell; 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

JAKE N BAKE is correct

Drop a LB

As for all that 3-3-5 I Don't think that's very smart(where's Elvis)

Comment

Not a goodman against the slant

Comment

You let him get burned by the slant all day long because at the end of the game he's going to make the game winning interception.

What's the problem?
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

We Have 1 Goodman Against The Slant (Champ).

Comment

I feel like he gets beat on a slant..he tries to press..then get beat on a deep out..so he goes back to playing 10 yards off
                    sigpic

Comment

No CB in the world is actually supposed to cover a slant except when he has inside shoulder and man coverage assigned.
                      "Brady... drops back... sees receiver wide open... and throws it away"

Comment

The problem with the slant is that Goodman's playing off coverage and allows a free release to the slant. With every single coverage, and technique within a coverage, no matter what it is, you're giving up something.

That's why I compare defenses to leaky row boats in the middle of a lake while offenses are on the shore with a .308 punching more and more holes in it.

Comment

I think rather than doing so badly, he should get more interceptions. That would help, I think.
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            I think rather than doing so badly, he should get more interceptions. That would help, I think.
                            Well, if he sits on the slant, then he might give up the "go" route. It's a trade off.

Playing off coverage gives you margin for error on deeper routes, but you give up the short underneath routes. Which would you rather give up?

Leaky row boat, remember?

Comment

Hopefully we get it figured out soon. Earl Bennett and Wes Welker over the next couple weeks could end up churning out the first downs against us.

Comment

Working...
                              X