Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elway and Fox have to decide whether this style of offense can win a superbowl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway and Fox have to decide whether this style of offense can win a superbowl.

Do John Elway and comp build around this style of offense or do they make Tebow transition into a more traditional style in the future? My concern is that if the Broncos stick with this specialized offense, and make draft and personnel decisions based on this, they'd better be confident that this style of offense can win a superbowl. If not, all will have to be scrapped, like what NFL teams who embraced the run-and-shoot did. Not only that, but they will have wasted opportunities to get top end talent that may not have been suited to this offense....Thoughts?

Of course it can.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

It's not all that different, they just run it a lot. The run game includes some zone read option concepts, but it hasn't worked half the time.

The Broncos are running the same base offense they've been running since McD got here.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Of course it can.

You think that a QB running the ball 15-20 times a game is going to get us a superbowl? That's a lot of punishment on a QB for a whole season. And if we are running a lot I'm assuming we are going to ignore the WR position for defensive players and blocking

Comment

Originally posted by mbison View Post
          You think that a QB running the ball 15-20 times a game is going to get us a superbowl? That's a lot of punishment on a QB for a whole season.
          Tebow has averaged about 12 carries this season, so increasing that to 15 or 20 times is not likely enough to discuss. His "carries" get increased by scrambles on pass plays.

And if we are running a lot I'm assuming we are going to ignore the WR position for defensive players and blocking
          No, that's a bad assumption. Better thing to do is not "ignore the WR position." That way, you also have it.

Comment

With respect, I think the question of whether "this style of offense" can win a super bowl is irrelevant. Why?

Because "this style of offense" is evolving every week and we have no idea what it will ultimately will be. The last 2 weeks Tebow has improved as a passer which would change "our style" of offense significantly from running it virtually every time.

Tebow is clearly improving as a passer, so making a determination on this style of offense is incomplete at best. If we make a determination now then we are assuming that Tebow will be the same next year, as he is right now and I think that is silly given how much he has already improved on the fly.

So in the media when people ask if this style can win a superbowl, they are asking the wrong question because THIS STYLE RIGHT THIS MINUTE is not what we would have in the future anyway since Tebow will improve by then as we have already seen.

The real question is, can Tebow keep improving? To me, the answer is YES.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
              Tebow has averaged about 12 carries this season, so increasing that to 15 or 20 times is not likely enough to discuss. His "carries" get increased by scrambles on pass plays.

No, that's a bad assumption. Better thing to do is not "ignore the WR position." That way, you also have it.
              Sorry I over exagerated but one game he did rush 22 times. What top tear receiver is going to come here when we barely throw the ball? We are more than likely going to have to draft a WR.

Comment

You think that a QB running the ball 15-20 times a game is going to get us a superbowl? That's a lot of punishment on a QB for a whole season. And if we are running a lot I'm assuming we are going to ignore the WR position for defensive players and blocking
                How many times did the Qb run the ball last week?

Honestly, stop listening to the media. Their talking points are nothing but an echo chamber stuck in time from over a month ago.

The Broncos didn't run the option last week. They are developing a pretty diverse offense, giving D's LOTS of different things to think about. It has evolved weekly so far.

Comment

Originally posted by broncofan1982 View Post
                  With respect, I think the question of whether "this style of offense" can win a super bowl is irrelevant. Why?

Because "this style of offense" is evolving every week and we have no idea what it will ultimately will be. The last 2 weeks Tebow has improved as a passer which would change "our style" of offense significantly from running it virtually every time.

Tebow is clearly improving as a passer, so making a determination on this style of offense is incomplete at best. If we make a determination now then we are assuming that Tebow will be the same next year, as he is right now and I think that is silly given how much he has already improved on the fly.

So in the media when people ask if this style can win a superbowl, they are asking the wrong question because THIS STYLE RIGHT THIS MINUTE is not what we would have in the future anyway since Tebow will improve by then as we have already seen.

The real question is, can Tebow keep improving? To me, the answer is YES.
                  So do you think they will cut back on the spread option as he progresses? I just don't want him running 10 times a game because no QB can withstand that long term

Comment

So do you think they will cut back on the spread option as he progresses? I just don't want him running 10 times a game because no QB can withstand that long term
                    Dude, he's bigger than Brian Urlacker. If anything, worry about the other teams guys getting hurt.

Comment

He can withstand 10 carries a game.

Did you watch the Minnesota game? 4 rushes, and very little spread option.

They'll do what the matchup dictates.

Tebow will be running it more than the average bear his whole career. But he'll be passing it a lot more.

Comment

In the last game against Minnesota, Tebow worked out of the traditional I formation, only running 4 times.
                        sigpic

Adopted Posters:
                        Broncbeat - 80stheman - kmcgough25 - InsaneBlaze 23
                        Adopted By:
                        Broncoholic JS & 80stheman
                        Broncbeat

Comment

Worked last game.

(Sarcasm)

Comment

Fox, Elway, and Tebow have all commented that QB's
                            get hurt more when getting hit right after a pass from the pocket..

they say that Tim is a great athlete..
                            he is a punishing runner.. often delivering the blow not taking it...
                            yet playing smart, scooting out of bounds for the first down..

There is no reason to think Tim cant do what he is good at for several seasons...
                            and there is no reason this very oportunistic offense could not win a lot..
                            and that includes the big game.
                            - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Sorry I over exagerated but one game he did rush 22 times. What top tear receiver is going to come here when we barely throw the ball? We are more than likely going to have to draft a WR.
                              Guys who want to WIN......

and nothing wrong with drafting a stud WR...
                              who wants to WIN.

We could have Thomas
                              Decker
                              the stud drafted...
                              we have a great group of TE's

need a new FB.. another RB
                              - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Working...
                              X