Goodman peaking along with the Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodman peaking along with the Broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP)—Andre Goodman’s career has hit a high point that’s coincided with the Denver Broncos’ run to the top of the AFC West.

Goodman’s first-ever interception return for a TD made quarterback Tim Tebow’s last-minute heroics against the New York Jets on Nov. 17 possible. His interception of Vikings rookie Christian Ponder in Minnesota last Sunday led to Matt Prater’s winning field goal as time expired.

Yet, it wasn’t long ago that the 10th-year veteran was wondering whether his years as a pro were over. That lingering doubt extended well into the early part of Denver’s season, which began with four losses in five games.

Coming off a 2010 season during which he was forced to miss significant time because of injury, there was reason for his skepticism. Add to that his age, 33, and a new coaching staff coming into this season, and it was clear why Goodman was wondering.

“When we reported and I walked into the building there was still uncertainty on my part whether I’d still be here or not,” Goodman said. “At any moment, they could trade for a guy, bring in a free agent. There was just so much uncertainty walking into the building and I never felt comfortable until they put out the final roster before the first regular-season game. I think that’s when I realized, `I’m going to be here.”’

New head coach John Fox and his staff had done some housecleaning. Holdovers like Renaldo Hill, Nate Jones and Perrish Cox—all members of last year’s secondary - were cut. Goodman survived in part because of his deep resume as a cover corner and because Broncos staff went back to the 2009 tape, when he played his second straight 16-game season, to get a better read on his abilities.

“Obviously just watching him in camp, without having an offseason, I think all of our guys were a little rusty coming in initially,” Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen said. “But I think probably about halfway through camp you realized he still had the ability to cover and he was getting his legs back under him.”

Those legs spent much of the offseason on the track, as Goodman ran countless sprints and did endurance work to try to strengthen the muscles that had failed him the previous season.

Even so, when Denver opened the season with a 1-4 start, Goodman was struggling. He wasn’t making plays that were there for the taking. Yet, again, the Broncos stood by him.

“I wasn’t sure they would have,” he said. “I was questioning that, telling myself, `Dre, you’ve got to get going because your window is closing. You’ve got to get going.’ I think what I did was stop trying to press … and I’ve been able to make a couple plays since then.”

An increase in man-to-man coverage helped him rediscover his comfort zone.

“One thing I know about him: His memory is very short,” Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said. “He doesn’t worry about what’s happened, bad or good. He just keeps pushing to the next play.”

Goodman’s play against the Vikings demonstrated that. By his own account, he was having a poor overall game. Ponder was in the midst of setting a team record in passing yards. But with Minnesota taking over possession with a chance to win, Allen sold man coverage with the play of the safeties, but dropped Goodman in zone. The bait worked.

“There’s just a quiet confidence Goody brings to us where they might throw the ball over there, but at some point, he’s going to make them pay for that,” Denver safety Brian Dawkins said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...roncos-goodman
    sigpic

I think Goodman takes a lot of unwarranted heat playing one the toughest positions in all of sports ... I think since the Broncos acquired him he's actually been one of the better players on a talentless defense ....
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

More like peeking in the backfield. I like Goodman, he plays the hardest position in football- the corner back opposite of Champ Bailey. However, his tackling is just terrible, it might be the worst I have ever seen. I think if he at least tried harder to tackle he would be more beloved in Bronco County.

Comment

Yeah I don't know about that.

Comment

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

This shows that analyst have no clue who players really are.

Count the number of first downs thrown his way.
            Count the tds thrown his way.
            Count the amount of rushing tds towards him.

Ints are not the one and only stat.
            If goodman could stop harvin AT ALL we would beat them handly.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfootball39 View Post

Champ0 got beat by harvin......for a td no less.
              GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
              sigpic

Comment

I personally think he is our worst player on Defense...guy gets burnt every other play.
                PROUD MEMBER OF BRONCOS COUNTRY
                sigpic

Comment

Atleast Goodman knows he was having a poor game against Minnesota. Some people seem to think that its o.k. to give up huge yardage and allow 3rd down conversions as long as they are not TDs ...

He did however come through when we needed him most.
                  Last edited by DarkHorse26; 12-10-2011, 08:49 AM.
                  sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

I don't think he ever covered Harvin. Maybe for a first down or two. But he didn't allow a TD in that game and his main problem was on Aromashodu. Champ and Harris both allowed TDs but Goodman did not.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Not known for his tackling, Andre Goodman has come up strong in run support quite a bit this season.

You win as a team and lose as a team. There are no scapegoats.

I'm glad the negativity shown above toward Andre Goodman is evident neither in the lockerroom nor on the field.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I really don't get this.

Sure he's gotten a couple picks recently but he's not exactly 'Champ'ing it up out there.

I'm not trying to pile on the guy but I don't understand the blind praise just because he got a couple clutch picks. If anything his picks neutralized his inadequate play.

He's a great cover guy but even when he's spooning receivers, he can't stop them from catching it half the time. Granted he's opposite Champ so maybe I'm outta line, I'll leave it there I guess ... I'm not drinking Goodie's kool aid yet but do appreciate his effort - he doesn't take plays off or anything
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

He may not be the best player..
                          but anybody opposite Champ is gonna get worked
                          by the opposing offense.

It has been suggested that Goodman is playing
                          the way his coachs have TOLD him to.

"Dont let anything get behind you...
                          if they complete underneath you fine..
                          bend but dont break."

Nothing has goten behind him.

I hope he continues to come up with the big plays..
                          and minimizes the underneath stuff a bit more.

I expect they will be drafting a new CB in 2012.
                          - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

It cannot be easy being picked on the whole game because there is a Hall of Famer on the other side. I get frustrated, too. The bottom line is the guy has helped us win games and as long as he keeps doing that we shouldn't be so eager to criticize.
                            sigpic

Comment

Goodman has definitely had some BIG plays in the last few games that actually went on to help decide close wins. He deserves credit where credit is due for sure.

However he is getting old and he has also had some terrible play this season. Champ is getting up there in age and in my eyes its simple. The Broncos still need to draft a CB round 1, preferably Claiborne or Kirkpatrick!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X