Run/Pass Ratio in Pro Football Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SM19
    In the Minnesota game? No, Tebow's raw yards per attempt were 13.46r. Ridiculous, but true. I will admit that adjusted yards per attempt (which I haven't bothered to calculate) would be a better measure, but I think even that would be about twice as many yards per pass attempt as per rush.
    Ahh I didn't know you were referring to the Minnesota game, anyways I decided to crunch the numbers on yards-per-pass-attempt and yards per rush on all the games since Tebow became the starter.I came up with 4.97 yards-per-carry vs. 6.5 yards-per-pass-attempt. If Tebow can keep his accuracy up like he did in the Minnesota game the yards-per-pass-attempt should go way up.

Comment

I think it's a roll of the dice trying to win in the playoffs with a pass only offense. You better have an indoor stadium and home field advantage. That's the way the Saints and Colts did it.

Generally speaking, you have to have a good running game to win in the elements.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        When I studied the KC game in detail to see all the offensive line influence and individual blocking by the O-Line, I had the impression of just seeing 30+ minutes of sled drills.

The Chiefs were in a straight 50 D with the Guards uncovered. Beadles and Kuper were out on the Inside Backers anytime they wanted to. The Broncos also used a lot of influence to fool not only the Inside, but also the Outside Backers including Tamba Hali.

A KC player interviewed after the game, in which the Broncos fired out and rushed 55 times, said the KC defense was so beat up they would lose the next two games.

None of this stuff is quantifiable using statistics. It's better to be the hammer than the nail.

The Denver OL is thriving on this stuff and run blocking is more difficult than pass blocking. Go figure. If you like to hit, you want to play OL on a smashmouth running team. Quantify that.
        I was under the impression that linemen like to run block more than pass block because it's easier for them.... No???

Comment

Originally posted by 91bronco View Post
          I was under the impression that linemen like to run block more than pass block because it's easier for them.... No???
          When I coached line, pass pro came more quickly to them. Try blocking a LB on the move. Not easy. Throw in pulling, sealing, reaching and scooping and the steps, footwork, breakdown, head and hand placement are much more complex than pass blocking.

O-Linemen like to run block because they literally beat on the front seven. they think that's great fun!

Denver's OL is playing great individually and collectively. :clap:
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

And, ...

Originally posted by SM19
            I think you know the problems with using 1948's stats to tell us anything about run/pass balance in 2011.
            ... what would those be?

The field is the same shape and size. The ball is the same. Fifteen minute quarters and four downs are the same. The hashmarks were wider in 1948 and that can affect the run game. I don't think 2XPA was allowed, just one. Eleven players on each side of the ball. Seven must be on LOS with the ends eligible. Four must be off LOS and are eligible. All offensive players must be set before the snap except one of the backs may motion parallel to the LOS. All that stuff and more are the same.

It's funny you should bring this up because I've been wondering about some pro football history lately.

When Tebow has 22 rushing attempts at San Diego, they said it was the most rushing attempts in the NFL since 1950. But they didn't say who or what team. I would bet it was a Single Wing team.

The Single Wing dominated the NFL from 1920-1940 and was still being used through 1951. The Steelers were the last Single Wing team in the NFL. A Single Wing derivative, the A Formation, invented by Steve Owen of the NYG (an unsung football innovator), was used from the late thirties through 1952.

Back when the ball was like a rugby ball the drop kick was more common. "Pop" Warner's backs at the Carlisle Indian School were all running, passing, receiving and kicking threats.

Byrne's article points out that the 1960s and the 1950s were the highest scoring decades in NFL history. The first four Super Bowls were played in the 1960s. It was the decade of Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Daryl Lamonica, Joe Namath, Len Dawson, John Hadl, Lohn Brodie, etc. I guess I fail to see exactly what you mean.

I wonder what kind of offenses were being run in 1948 besides the T, the Split T, the Single Wing and the A Formation? Inquiring minds want to know.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
            X