Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Network says option football here to stay...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NFL Network says option football here to stay...

    Just a few minutes ago I heard Micheal Lombardi stating how running the option is here to stay in the NFL.

    What irks me about this is that just a couple weeks ago it was a gimmick used to mask Tebows flaws but now that it keeps working its now a great strategy to keep defenses playing gap sound football and is here to stay in the NFL and how Rex Ryan was the smartest man in the NFL for scoring a TD with it last week.

    *SMH

    come on man....

  • #2
    It is truly a copy cat league.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I always thought that the read option could have success with the right QB, but like any scheme it's extremely hard to run, probably more so than any other scheme. The QB has to be able to make the right read 90% of the time for it to be effective. Tebow's not quite there yet but he's doing a great job with it. But lately we've started getting a little away from it, mainly in the Minny game, and you kind of have to which is what makes it even harder. Not only does Tebow and the rest of the offense have to learn how to run the option offense, but they have to be able to run a "Pro Style" offense to go with it.

      Honestly it can work though, get us a speed threat at RB and our offense would be a lot more explosive. Eddie Royal would probably be great there if we let him do that. If not I like LaMichael James

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by teetdogs View Post
        Just a few minutes ago I heard Micheal Lombardi stating how running the option is here to stay in the NFL.

        What irks me about this is that just a couple weeks ago it was a gimmick used to mask Tebows flaws but now that it keeps working its now a great strategy to keep defenses playing gap sound football and is here to stay in the NFL and how Rex Ryan was the smartest man in the NFL for scoring a TD with it last week.
        Such is the media, especially the ANALysts on ESPN. Biggest circle of clowns I've ever encountered. They're basically just going with popular sentiment and hamming it up for ratings. I don't take them very seriously.

        Comment


        • #5
          Doesn't bother me a bit. If you think about it, EVERY "new" thing is a "gimmick" until others see that it works and they begin to really take a look at it.

          Hell, the forward pass was considered a gimmick by many when it first became legal. The shotgun formation was another gimmick that is now standard fare. That's just the nature of resistence to change inherent in many.

          Comment


          • #6
            yeah this always happens in Football. People see weird schemes and plays and they are like "What is this a joke?" And when it succeeds those teams are usually the first to fall in line to try it.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              The part that's beautiful about it is that it creates run threat from the shotgun. Holy Grail.

              The read option is performed as the quarterback faces the defense standing up. Therefore, you can "fake" the read option (say, on a pass play) and be reading the defense the whole time.

              The weakness of traditional under-center play action pass is that in order to do PA, the QB is not scanning the defense. It's usually a one-read look after play action.

              Comment


              • #8
                No one's making fun of people for changing their minds. It's the fact that they clung to tradition and piled on the idea without ever coherently explaining what was wrong with it. Besides the one argument of injuries, they mostly sat around laughing about how this would be 'figured out' without even explaining what negative characteristic option runs allegedly have that normal ones don't.

                Ignorance and caution are fine, but it's pretty unacceptable for your job to be 'break down why football plays work the way they do' and then decide X's and O's are too hard so you're going to find something historical that vaguely reminds you of what's going on (dolphin's wildcat) and just extrapolate from there.

                It's like if a chess player lost a game playing the king's gambit and decided that pawn to e4 is for scrubs. Or a witch doctor put a bit of hemlock in a potion that successfully cured the recipient and decided to make that his new main ingredient. Just the extent to which they don't even bother figuring out what's going on and reason by rational fallacies is kind of awe inspiring.
                Last edited by noobius; 12-11-2011, 09:38 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The whole idea behind Spread Option and Pistol is to combine the Run & Shoot spread passing attack with an Option rushing attack. Pistol includes Veer and Wing-T plays.

                  In order to run this stuff, an O must have a running QB.

                  Now that Option from direct snap/shotgun formations is in the NFL, they are formations from which a balanced run/pass attack can be run. This is a quantum leap by NFL standards.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Humans are copy-cats. They don't believe without seeing. The option is obviously not something you run every run play, but only idiots think it can't be part of an offense.
                    11/22/11

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah I think this is the "wildcat" all over. It is a gimmick, nothing more. Our coaches know this. TT knows this, fans are the ones that dont realize this. You can see it with our play calling. We are running more and more power runs, more passes, and less option. As a facet of an O it can be effective, but it wont have sustained success in this league...TT succeeding in this league will have nothing to do with the option, it will be whether he learns how to throw the ball or not
                      Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Terminology

                        Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                        Yeah I think this is the "wildcat" all over. It is a gimmick, nothing more. Our coaches know this. TT knows this, fans are the ones that dont realize this. You can see it with our play calling. We are running more and more power runs, more passes, and less option. As a facet of an O it can be effective, but it wont have sustained success in this league...TT succeeding in this league will have nothing to do with the option, it will be whether he learns how to throw the ball or not
                        "Wildcat" is a derivative of Single Wing and is not an Option offense like Spread Option, Pistol or Option I.

                        Please be so kind as to revisit post #52 on the thread entitled "I will lose all respect for Elway and the Broncos if ..." for a detailed explanation of why you are full of beans for calling the Broncos' O a "gimmick".
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          if it keeps working, have a feeling someone is going to reach for an option qb and it will play out the way experts thought.

                          it's more about cam and tebow than it is about the option

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TD30* View Post
                            if it keeps working, have a feeling someone is going to reach for an option qb and it will play out the way experts thought.

                            it's more about cam and tebow than it is about the option
                            Option makes balanced playcalling from direct snap/shotgun formations possible, but the QB must be able to run.

                            If the O has established Option as a possibility, the D must defend it.

                            Defending Option requires playing disciplined assignments and takes the D out of stunts, blitzes, rotations and inverts. The coverages are very basic.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              "Wildcat" is a derivative of Single Wing and is not an Option offense like Spread Option, Pistol or Option I.

                              Please be so kind as to revisit post #52 on the thread entitled "I will lose all respect for Elway and the Broncos if ..." for a detailed explanation of why you are full of beans for calling the Broncos' O a "gimmick".
                              Here's a link, just to make it easier

                              http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...3&postcount=52

                              BTW, nice breakdown of it

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X