Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL Network says option football here to stay...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    "Wildcat" is a derivative of Single Wing and is not an Option offense like Spread Option, Pistol or Option I.

Please be so kind as to revisit post #52 on the thread entitled "I will lose all respect for Elway and the Broncos if ..." for a detailed explanation of why you are full of beans for calling the Broncos' O a "gimmick".
    I understand that they are not the same O. I am referencing that it is just the fad of the day. D's are going to get hip to it and quickly learn to stop it. The option will not have any prolonged success in the league cause frankly the D's are to athletic, and just to good. Like I said before as a wrinkle in the O it has a place. But TT success in the league is on his left arm and not on his legs
    Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
      I understand that they are not the same O. I am referencing that it is just the fad of the day. D's are going to get hip to it and quickly learn to stop it. The option will not have any prolonged success in the league cause frankly the D's are to athletic, and just to good. Like I said before as a wrinkle in the O it has a place. But TT success in the league is on his left arm and not on his legs
      Meh, the wildcat eventually failed because the RBs/WRs running it couldn't make the correct read once teams started being able to get guys in good spots. And it was so basic, teams never expanded on it. The option offense is an actual offense from which you can run and pass (in our version anyway), the wildcat was nothing more than a running package. Tebow is making good reads the majority of the time which is why we're still successful. Now teams are eventually going to get better at defending because defenders will learn to be more patient and learn to read the offense better, but this also helps the offense because it slows the defense down and makes them passive. It puts them on their heels so they lose their forward momentum. It also makes it easier to get them out of position if/when they make the wrong read or if they just hesitate in making the read.

Our offense won't work against teams like the Ravens or the Steelers because their defenses are going to fly around regardless and cause havoc for any offensive scheme, even more so ours because ours requires time to run the play. If it's going to work against elite defenses, we'll have to get one of the best o-lines ever.

Comment

Which IT?

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
        As I have said before, the Denver Broncos are running Option from both under center and direct snap/shotgun formations. Being able to run effectively from direct snap/shotgun is a big deal in the NFL.

I have also stated a number of times on several threads that Option is a component of the Broncos' rushing attack.

Defending Option requires a D to simplify and assign. When that happens they are vulnerable to the passing game due to simplified coverages.

When you have a QB who is as talented a runner as Tebow, you include him in the rushing attack. In the game of football, there are three ways to do that:
        • * Option from under center formations;
          * Option from direct snap/shotgun formations;
          * Single Wing and/or derivatives (e.g., Double Wing, A Formation, "Wildcat").

Tim Tebow is averaging 11 rushing attempts per game including scrambles on called pass plays. It also includes the game at San Diego where he had 22. He is carrying the ball on designed run plays less than ten times per game on average.

If you want the Broncos to win, you want them to run Option because of what it forces on defenses.

So, when you say " ... it is just the fad of the day ...", which it? Be specific. Which set of plays? Which formations? I'm real curious to know.

Which it are Ds " ... going to get hip to ... and quickly learn to stop"?

I'm real curious to know exactly what defense called in what way you recommend. Please, do tell. I'm all ears to hear what you have to offer to the real football conversation besides baseless opinions.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
        X