A couple of moans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of moans...

Don't get me wrong, football is a great game. However, the game has become far too commercialized with far too many advert (commercial) breaks. I personally find that this breaks the tension in a very close match unlike other sports such as rugby. The game just needs more continuity. Secondly, the tackling is appaling. There is no point trying to put a big hit on someone and missing the tackle. I've seen far too many missed tackles in games and to be quite honest, it is very depressing. In a rugby game you miss two tackles and you're subbed off, simple as that. Oh yeah...why can't players play offense and defense? Just wondering...
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Jobs of the defense men are to seperate man from the ball and force turnovers. So big hits are necessary.
    Take care of business Broncos.

Comment

Dump tackles anyone?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tahuya man
        No, thier job is to stop the offense. It's true that they no longer know how to wrap up and tackle. Just look at the number of big runs are broken off by running backs who were hit three and four times by defenders trying to knock them down verses tackling them.
        Yep, they need some rugby coaching.
        sigpic

Comment

Every man on D has a specific job the default job is to stop the O. DUH THAT'S IMPLIED. But for the CB and Safties there goal is to seperate man from the ball and for turnovers.

For the D line, it's to keep the RB contained before passing them, amke the QB feel unconfortable and pressure the QB.

And so on and so on.

Yep.

A rugby coach for what?
          Last edited by K'Noy_Kills; 12-11-2003, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K'Noy_Kills
            A rugby coach for what?
            Kicking practice
            Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Re: A couple of moans...

Originally posted by muse
              Don't get me wrong, football is a great game. However, the game has become far too commercialized with far too many advert (commercial) breaks. I personally find that this breaks the tension in a very close match unlike other sports such as rugby. The game just needs more continuity. Secondly, the tackling is appaling. There is no point trying to put a big hit on someone and missing the tackle. I've seen far too many missed tackles in games and to be quite honest, it is very depressing. In a rugby game you miss two tackles and you're subbed off, simple as that. Oh yeah...why can't players play offense and defense? Just wondering...
              Alot of players don't have the endurance and durability to play both sides of the ball in a professional league. Some players do, but it is extremely rare. Most come up in football knowing only a couple positions and usually they stick to one side either offense or defense. For example in college a QB may not have what it takes to be an NFL QB and he may be converted to WR (Randle El) Or a cover CB may slow down or bulk up and be moved to Safety. It's rare when a defnsive guy switches to offense or vice versa. Deltha Oneal made a transition to wide reciever this year which like I said before is something that is hardly ever heard of. He was a Pro bowl CB but I doubt he'll ever make the Pro Bowl as a WR. It would be cool if he did though. As far as missing tackles go, players today are extremely fast. Linebackers now are faster than Wide Receivers were 20 years ago. When you get up to a certain speed it is hard to slow down and tackles will be missed when a RB or a WR puts a juke on. The quickness that athletes have today is incredible that's why it is so important for a defensive guy to be in the right position. If he's got the wrong angle then you can consider that tackle missed.

Comment

Man, looks like lately Warren Sapp is the only 2 way player in the league. Great grab on Sunday.
                Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by pikman
                  Kicking practice
                  English rugby definitely has the best tackling in the world. There are only about 1 or 2 missed tackles from the national team or club teams in one game. The southern hemisphere tackling is crap. Oh yeah about the speed thing...there are some blisteringly fast rugby players (Joe Rocokoko for example) who have serious pace, but they are still tackled at speed, cover tackles for example. A rugby coach will always tell the players before a match that every tackle counts; work to make every single tackle; miss it and you are history. It's not so forgiving in that sport; after I miss one tackle on the wing I get so angry with myself that I don't miss another.
                  Players don't have the durability or fitness? That's wholly depressing. I fyou've ever played rugby in the back row forwards, you are constantly moving around the pitch (field) hitting every single ruck and maul there is until there is a stoppage. That is tiring. Try playing for 40 minutes each way straight. I think its pathetic really that players aren't fit enough for it.
                  The last thing is that a rule change is needed: Grounding the ball in the endzone, like rugby. It will remove all the uncertainty about fumbles etc.
                  Last edited by muse; 12-11-2003, 03:05 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muse
                    English rugby definitely has the best tackling in the world. There are only about 1 or 2 missed tackles from the national team or club teams in one game. The southern hemisphere tackling is crap. Oh yeah about the speed thing...there are some blisteringly fast rugby players (Joe Rocokoko for example) who have serious pace, but they are still tackled at speed, cover tackles for example.
                    Players don't have the durability or fitness? That's wholly depressing. I fyou've ever played rugby in the back row forwards, you are constantly moving around the pitch (field) hitting every single ruck and maul there is until there is a stoppage. That is tiring. Try playing for 40 minutes each way straight. I think its pathetic really that players aren't fit enough for it.
                    The last thing is that a rule change is needed: Grounding the ball in the endzone, like rugby. It will remove all the uncertainty about fumbles etc.
                    I don't know enough about Rugby to form an arguement but NFL players are some of the best athletes in the world. You really can't compare Rugby to the NFL. They may have some similarities but really they are completely different sports. NFL players are in really good shape, trust me. They don't give out 100 million dollars to guys that arn't in that good of shape. If Rugby players are so fast and can tackle well, then they can try to sign up for the NFL and make some real money.

Comment

LOL that's what I was about to say.

But watch him respond with 'it's not about the money' **cough**

Put it this way...

Rugby fans know more about that NFL than NFL fans know about Rugby. What does that tell you?

NFL athletes are superior....hands down. A Rugby team would never step on the same field against an NFL team.

Comment

Originally posted by K'Noy_Kills
                        LOL that's what I was about to say.

But watch him respond with 'it's not about the money' **cough**

Put it this way...

Rugby fans know more about that NFL than NFL fans know about Rugby. What does that tell you?

NFL athletes are superior....hands down. A Rugby team would never step on the same field against an NFL team.
                        You'd be right about the money bit; rugby players don't go around chasing endorsements. NFL atheletes may be superior to the Eagles rugby team, but they don't come close to teams such as England, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand etc.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think that Rugby players are better athletes than football players. In rugby there is no resting, you are constantly running and hitting without pads, and then getting right back up and doing it again.... I have played both (4-A State CHamp high school) and for a local rugby team, and rugby whooped my @ss. I thought football conditioning was bad, nothing compared to rugby.

It is also very tiring and requires a great deal of concentration to play both sides of the ball, and to compete with players that know their 1 position very well. It makes sense to know 1 position very well as oppossed to 2 positions mediocre.....

As far as the kill hits, they are required... Yes sometimes they come up costly and players are judged by these hits they miss but it is an important part of the game. These hits set momentum,cause injury,cause turnovers, and break up plays. I agree that they are not always necassary, but if they are well executed they can prove very productive for the team....

Comment

The Chargers had or still has a rugby player, there punter.

There was one play , I don't remember who was returning the kick, but the guy got leveled buy the Chargers punter it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0p
                              I think that Rugby players are better athletes than football players. In rugby there is no resting, you are constantly running and hitting without pads, and then getting right back up and doing it again.... I have played both (4-A State CHamp high school) and for a local rugby team, and rugby whooped my @ss. I thought football conditioning was bad, nothing compared to rugby.

It is also very tiring and requires a great deal of concentration to play both sides of the ball, and to compete with players that know their 1 position very well. It makes sense to know 1 position very well as oppossed to 2 positions mediocre.....

As far as the kill hits, they are required... Yes sometimes they come up costly and players are judged by these hits they miss but it is an important part of the game. These hits set momentum,cause injury,cause turnovers, and break up plays. I agree that they are not always necassary, but if they are well executed they can prove very productive for the team....
                              So what your saying is, An Average Rugby player is a better athlete than say a Clinton Portis or Rod Smith? Better than what?
                              A Lineman? A reciever? a running back? A kicker? This is all apples and oranges folks. You can't compare it.

Comment

Working...
                              X