Now that the year is almost over, grade our draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
    With only one game reamaining in the regular season i'm curious as to how everyone feels about elway & fox's first draft together.

Personally i think outside Von Miller being a great pick which he had better be going #2 overall & maybe Orlando Franklin being decent, i don't think it was a very good draft at all. The two safties are no good, we have not really seen the linebackers on the field at all & the tight ends have played sparingly.
    You hit it right on the head. I think Franklin gets beat waaaaaaaay too much, but he's steadily improved. Rahim Moore is a joke and can't tackle, Carter can tackle but that's about it, and Thomas and Green haven't done anything. And the rest of the bunch.....:paper:

Comment

Originally posted by GIVEME6 View Post
      You hit it right on the head. I think Franklin gets beat waaaaaaaay too much, but he's steadily improved. Rahim Moore is a joke and can't tackle, Carter can tackle but that's about it, and Thomas and Green haven't done anything. And the rest of the bunch.....:paper:
      I'm sorry you regard blocking as nothing. It is one of the two basics of football: blocking and tackling. Virgil Green is an excellent blocker, something he wasn't known for at Nevada. His blocking skills seem to have been recently acquired.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
        Too early to tell. Heck, can you even grade out the 2010 draft class yet? Not really....
        yea we can both of Mcdaniels drafts deserve and F. Fortunately we've got Tebow out of won or else those two drafts would be a bust, especially in the first 3 rounds of each of his drafts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardoso View Post
          yea we can both of Mcdaniels drafts deserve and F. Fortunately we've got Tebow out of won or else those two drafts would be a bust, especially in the first 3 rounds of each of his drafts.
          Well said...Demarius Thomas, and Zane Beadles and JD Walton have done nothing for this team....take off the blinders for a minute dude!

I get that you hate McDaniels but you have to admit that he may have gotten us, at worst, 4 serviceable players in the 2010 draft.

Based purely on this season the 2010 draft is a B to B+ and with some development this offseason it could bump up to an A to A+ draft.

2011 so far is a B but you can't properly judge any draft until 3 year later, unless you cut every player before then.

Comment

Way to early to tell. Limited off season to develope them and first season is way to early too judge imo. I hope the safety play is vastly improved next year and maybe at the end of next year it will be a much better time to evaluate it.

That said for [email protected] and giggles I'd give it a b. The pick of Von Miller, going against conventional wisdom, in itself almost makes it an A cause he has already made an impact and imo looks to only get better and better. Franklin even with the limited off season has shown marked improvement and is more than serviceable imo and he should only get better and considering he is blocking the Blind Side of our qb I think this is a much bigger pick up then people are giving credit for. The rest will take time to tell and need experience and an off season with coaches too develope but all in all I think it looks good already and has potential to turn out to be a great draft but only time will tell.
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              Well said...Demarius Thomas, and Zane Beadles and JD Walton have done nothing for this team....take off the blinders for a minute dude!

I get that you hate McDaniels but you have to admit that he may have gotten us, at worst, 4 serviceable players in the 2010 draft.

Based purely on this season the 2010 draft is a B to B+ and with some development this offseason it could bump up to an A to A+ draft.

2011 so far is a B but you can't properly judge any draft until 3 year later, unless you cut every player before then.
              Actually that draft by McD could be really good. Almost half our starters on O are from that draft.

Tebow and DT in the first
              Beadles in the second
              Decker and Walton in the third
              I don't remember the rest of the draft but 5 starters isn't that bad.

Adopted Broncos:
              (2011-2013) Eric Decker
              (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
              (2019-Current) Drew Lock
              Adopted posters:
              Everyone

Comment

Besides Miller and Franklin, the best part of our draft wasn't even a draft pick. Chris Harris has been very solid for us too. Overall still too early to judge
                Arizona Cardinals GM.

Comment

Von Miller, A-
                  Great pass rusher. Mediocre linebacker, hence the minus. Obviously will get better, but has to be graded on what he did this year. Major contributor, as a 1st-round pick ideally should be.

Chris Harris, B+
                  Contributed well beyond his UDFA status. Played better than most highly drafted DBs. Would have gotten an A if he batted away a few more passes.

Quinton Carter, B
                  Not bad for a mid-round pick. Good contributor overall.

Mike Mohammed, C
                  Earned little playing time but looked decent when he did play.

Jeremiah Johnson, C
                  Not sure if he is a rookie. He didn't earn much playing time. Looked okay when he did play.

Orlando Franklin, C-
                  Decent run blocker but pass blocking was not up to what is expected from a high draft pick.

Rahim Moore, C-
                  Hardly a failure but certainly not up to what is required from a high draft pick in order to get an A or B.

Nate Irving, C-
                  Admittedly, Mays is underrated, and only Williams and Woodyard were allowed on the field during passing downs, but The Future didn't earn much playing time. Hard to give him anything higher than a C-.

Virgil Green, C-
                  Lots of potential, but a grade is based on what he did this year, which was next to nothing.

Julius Thomas, C-
                  Lots of potential, but he did even less than Virgil Green.

Overall, I'd give the Broncos' 2011 draft a B-.

Comment

Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
                    Actually that draft by McD could be really good. Almost half our starters on O are from that draft.

Tebow and DT in the first
                    Beadles in the second
                    Decker and Walton in the third
                    I don't remember the rest of the draft but 5 starters isn't that bad.
                    I agree, I was being sarcastic towards the poster I quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by kingelway7 View Post
                      Its way to earlier to grade a draft. You really need 3 years of play from a draft class before you grade them.

But just for kicks, basing it off their play this year, Id grade it a C+.

Von is an obvious A+. Franklin would be a B. Everyone else would be a C or worse. Carter, which I think will get better, has played to a C level thus far. Irving has played to about a C-. Moore has been a D. Green has been a D, though if it wasnt for a handful of stupid penalties Id bump him to a D+. (Moore's has some stupid penalties thru out the year too). Thomas is an F because he hasnt really played. Muhammed is another F. Beal is another F too.
                      I'd give Green a B. His blocking has been very good.

Thomas is an incomplete.

Totally forgot about Beal. I guess that would equate to an F, right? Although 7th rounders are always a long shot (another reason to give Green a higher grade)

Comment

Miller will anchor our defense for years to come, Franklin has played well. Moore and Carter have sucked, but Moore is only 21, and will grow more physically and mentally next season as he gets older. Playing at age 21 in the NFL isn't easy. Carter was a 4th round pick. You can't just expect 4th rounders to do good in their rookie seasons. I think he could possibly improve too.

Thomas has potential, and I think he and Tebow could eventually establish a connection, and I don't think I've seen enough of Irving to say anything bad about him. He hasn't played much, since Mays is our starting MLB.

I give it a B. Could change it to A soon.
                        sigpic

2014 Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                        Proud Fan of the 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Denver Broncos

Comment

Wait, does Chris Harris count as a draft class member?

Comment

Working...
                          X