Tired of Lelie....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of Lelie....

I'm tired of Lelie dropping passes. Now I understand Sharpe's defense of Lelie...Teamates stick together. Those passes he's dropped however were not diving catches. They hit his hand. Now, I can't catch a pass too well myself, but I don't get paid to either. I don't care if He doesn't gte thrown the ball untill the 4th quarter or overtime, he shouldn't drop passes that hit him in the hands on the run.

I think it is time we go shopping for another receiver. Hopefully Ed will be back again but odds are he may retire and Lelie has not proven yet that he is a reliable 2nd receiver. Heck I'd like to see what Madise can do.

Just my thoughts. I don't hate Lelie. I watched him play amazing football when I was stationed in Hawaii and had high hopes when we drafted him. Right now though he is a liability every time Plummer looks his way....

Re: Tired of Lelie....

Originally posted by Q-niverse
    I'm tired of Lelie dropping passes. Now I understand Sharpe's defense of Lelie...Teamates stick together. Those passes he's dropped however were not diving catches. They hit his hand. Now, I can't catch a pass too well myself, but I don't get paid to either. I don't care if He doesn't gte thrown the ball untill the 4th quarter or overtime, he shouldn't drop passes that hit him in the hands on the run.

I think it is time we go shopping for another receiver. Hopefully Ed will be back again but odds are he may retire and Lelie has not proven yet that he is a reliable 2nd receiver. Heck I'd like to see what Madise can do.

Just my thoughts. I don't hate Lelie. I watched him play amazing football when I was stationed in Hawaii and had high hopes when we drafted him. Right now though he is a liability every time Plummer looks his way....

I agree with ya. Lots of people still have confidense in this guy though. The fact is, if this guy is in the NFL he should be hanging on to balls that are tossed right to his digits. This isn't the third grade man, its NFL baby. He should already be ready for it, these are missed catches that are inexcusable for an NFL player.

Comment

critics

I realize Lelie has dropped a couple but most of the drops are not on the easy passes. Yea there were a couple but the majority aren't that perfect of passes. He'll be fine and will turn into a great receiver. Don't give up on him so soon, he will come around. It's only his second year. Not everyone is Portis and excells in his 1st season. Look at Chad Johnson in Cincy. He took the NFL by storm this year and it's taken him quite some time to do it. I think us Broncos fans have been spoiled in the past and we don't accept mediocore playing. Some fans are a little too critical. Not everyone will be a Eddie Mac, Rod Smith or Shannon Sharpe. Not everyone will be an Elway, etc. Lelie will come on big. After all he was the 3rd receiver, then he had to learn all the 2nd receiver plays when good ole #87 got hurt. He's been bounced around all year long. Give the man a break!

Comment

Yeah but see...its not that he blew routes or anything. He drops passes that a roockie reciever would be waived in pre-season for dropping. And you are right, Broncos fans don't accept mediocre playing nor should we. We are not Arizona fans after all....

Comment

Let's see how he does the rest of the season. Actually next season will be a make or break season for Ashley. You can bet that we will get some free agents in here to push him. Mike does not accept mediocre either.
          Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

I'm not saying you should accept average playing. I'm saying we have been too spoiled for too long. Take Elway for example. Players like him come along once in a long while. The level he played at we will likely never see again in Denver. But that's because we were lucky to see it in the first place. Same at the WR position. He made plays in practice that amazed everyone, I read the reports. He has something special but he's young. If you coached the Broncos would you cut him? If you said yes, then he would end up being one of those players who breaks out to have a great career and in turn would end up playing the broncos down the road sometime and kick our butts! (like Lawyer Malloy did in the first game of the season against his old team). The raiders would probably end up with him and shove it right in our faces.

Comment

I have a thread started on this very subject in the Bronco's player forum and I have been hard on Lelie the past few games for pretty good reasons if you ask me. The reason everyone is hard on him I think is because he is a first round pick and he's playing like a walkon. I think we do need to address wide reciever as well. Madise does look pretty good and I think Deltha might turn out to be pretty good as well. I don't know what Lelie problem is but he better find out and fix it.

Comment

Easy there Coach Benny...oh i mean Bronco Benny. Oneal will not be a WR long. If he doesn't return to defense he'll go somewhere that will let him. He's not happy on offense. We haven't see enough of Madise. You saw him in preseason and training camp, which is where Lelie was tearing it up. I'm just saying that you draft people to work with and make good. You don't expect everyone to become Portis right out of the gate.

Maybe we should turn Lelie into a cornerback to punish him and leave Oneal in at WR. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss
                  Easy there Coach Benny...oh i mean Bronco Benny. Oneal will not be a WR long. If he doesn't return to defense he'll go somewhere that will let him. He's not happy on offense. We haven't see enough of Madise. You saw him in preseason and training camp, which is where Lelie was tearing it up. I'm just saying that you draft people to work with and make good. You don't expect everyone to become Portis right out of the gate.

Maybe we should turn Lelie into a cornerback to punish him and leave Oneal in at WR. haha
                  We might be better off, Lelie sure knows how to knock it down.

Comment

Does anyone remember that it took Rod til his 3rd year to break out? Yes I realize that Rod was drafted in the 8th round (ie undrafted) and Lelie in the 1st but in the end no matter how high the draft choice you'll have to learn to become apart of the offense. How much of a chance has Lelie had to do that with Rod, Ed and Shannon around? Give the kid a break and wait to see what he does with the remainder of this year and all of next year.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGlue Factory
                      Does anyone remember that it took Rod til his 3rd year to break out? Yes I realize that Rod was drafted in the 8th round (ie undrafted) and Lelie in the 1st but in the end no matter how high the draft choice you'll have to learn to become apart of the offense. How much of a chance has Lelie had to do that with Rod, Ed and Shannon around? Give the kid a break and wait to see what he does with the remainder of this year and all of next year.
                      OK, Then can we bash him?

Comment

I am just tired of seeing wide open catches dropped. I don't think it takes 3 years to learn to catch those. Its not like I am anti-Lelie or anything but right now he couldn't catch the flu much less a 5 yard toss from plummer. Now if Lelie turns it around I will be thrilled but right now we need a credible 2nd reciever to keep the double coverage off Rod Smith. Lelie needs to step up NOW and prove he is worthy of a spot in the receiving corps. We are in the playoff hunt and that means everyone has to step it up. For Lelie right now stepping it up means making 1 reception on Sunday.

If Lelie would just get his confidence back he could destroy defensive secondaries....

Comment

We gotta cut some slack.

I think we got to cut Lelie some slack. Sometimes you just have a bad season, Nothing goes right for yeah. Lets not forget it's his second year and he's got a NEW quarterback. The first year he had to get used to Griese and now Plummer so lets give him some slack. and at the end of the day Plummer ain't Mcnabb or manning (i know this is gonna get people shouting at me) but he ain't personally i think plummer is a great Qb it's his first year two and he's gotta get used to playing with a decent team (sorry cardinals)!!
                          Please God don't let the Pats win the Superbowl!! AGAIN

Comment

Re: We gotta cut some slack.

Originally posted by kickersarecool
                            I think we got to cut Lelie some slack. Sometimes you just have a bad season, Nothing goes right for yeah. Lets not forget it's his second year and he's got a NEW quarterback. The first year he had to get used to Griese and now Plummer so lets give him some slack. and at the end of the day Plummer ain't Mcnabb or manning (i know this is gonna get people shouting at me) but he ain't personally i think plummer is a great Qb it's his first year two and he's gotta get used to playing with a decent team (sorry cardinals)!!

I was buying into what you were saying untill I saw your username. Now I know you can't possibly be right at anything.

Comment

Within a year or two, Lelie won't be the number two receiver. And yeah, I continue to like the analogy of Rod because to be quite frank, they were both the same way early on. If we went nuts and called for his head (as I recall doing more than a few games those first seasons ), he'd be gone and our number one receiver would have been...uh...Sharpe? I DO think we need to pick up a new receiver in the offseason, but that's mostly because it looks like it'll probably be the last season for Sharpe and McCaffrey. Very few people make a perfect transition from non-pro football to football from day one. It takes time, kind of like getting settled into a new pair of shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X