Post game rants---Pittsburgh--Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
    There are people that expect perfection from everyone except Tebow, and there are people that excuse everyone missed execution except Tebow's.

I agree with neither. I see this arguement brought up as a strawman time and time again, as well as an excuse to do the opposite.

Tebow needs to play better. But, he did have some great plays and great games. Others need to play better as well. To say one player was responsible for a "1-4 finish" is every bit as ludicrous as saying that Tebow was solely responsible for the 6-0 run. Every player plays a part. Every game goes to the final gun. The score at the end is all that matters for that game. Wins and losses is all that matters at the end of the year.
    I agree with everything you said.
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
      I'm confused.. Why would it be lucky to miss a 51 yard field goal?

Kickers are human. WR's drop passes. QB thrown Int's and Incompletions rb's sometimes fumble. And Kickers sometimes miss.

It happens.
      Exactly my point was just that people will twist everything to benefit themselves and their arguements. That is why I think I slowed my post count down so much is because these things get twisted everywhich way. (even by me lol)

Adopted Broncos:
      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
      Adopted posters:
      Everyone

Comment

• Enough...

This thread may or may not re-open.

Comment

• I see that as I was cleaning this, at least one other mod also popped in. Between the two of us, some of you probably got multiple notes.

It really doesn't bother us that much. It's the offseason and while we're trying to clean the boards, this provides a nice break from the tedium. Also, we have loaded infraction guns and the infinite ammo cheat.

Feel free to keep engaging in the childish remarks and taunts of each other. You might be off suspension by the time training camp starts, so it's not like you'd miss all that much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastor View Post
            I see that as I was cleaning this, at least one other mod also popped in. Between the two of us, some of you probably got multiple notes.

It really doesn't bother us that much. It's the offseason and while we're trying to clean the boards, this provides a nice break from the tedium. Also, we have loaded infraction guns and the infinite ammo cheat.

Feel free to keep engaging in the childish remarks and taunts of each other. You might be off suspension by the time training camp starts, so it's not like you'd miss all that much.
            Yeah, I'd say the infraction gun came out

My apologies Alastor, and to the rest of the members as well.

Comment

• 5-2 Defensive Front

Originally posted by demosthenes9 View Post
              NE ran a 5-2 defense for most of the game, and quite frankly, I can't tell if McCoy never figured that out, or didn't know what to do about it.
              Did you notice what kind of 5-2 alignment it was? Was it a 50 with the tackles in 5 tech, or was it a Double Eagle/Bear look with T-N-T tackles in 3 tech?

You're not going to get outside on a 50 D, but the Guards are uncovered, so you can Wham and Trap the G holes and PAP off of that play action. If the Ends are coming upfield regularly, it's great fun to run Off Tackle and have a pulling G earhole a DE on a kickout block.

Double Eagle/Bear is designed to prevent inside runs. Often there is a S in a 9 tech and a LB in a 7 tech over the TE, so it is difficult to run to the strong side unless you use a Wing, unbalanced line or Yale formation. It is essentially a six-man DL like the 6-2 Over-Under-Normal Defenses used to defend the Single Wing.

What could be exploited against Double Eagle is that the OTs are uncovered. Also, the standard coverage is cover 3. Homer Smith has an article in Offensive Football Strategies, "Scoring Through the Double Eagle", where he suggests:
              • ~ Boot;
                ~ Sprint Draw;
                ~ Counter Sweep;
                ~ Off Tackle with Counter;
                ~ Counter Option;
                ~ Speed Option from the I using the FB to seal;
                ~ Trap;
                ~ PAP;
                ~ Dropback Pass;
                ~ and, Option Pass set up by Speed O.

If the Broncos want to run the ball, they need to have contingencies for the looks they got in 2011. There isn't a defensive front impervious to the run. You just need to know which formations and which plays to use and have patience. The Broncos showed a bunch of formations and run plays in 2011. They have a good foundation on which to build.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Did you notice what kind of 5-2 alignment it was? Was it a 50 with the tackles in 5 tech, or was it a Double Eagle/Bear look with T-N-T tackles in 3 tech?

You're not going to get outside on a 50 D, but the Guards are uncovered, so you can Wham and Trap the G holes and PAP off of that play action. If the Ends are coming upfield regularly, it's great fun to run Off Tackle and have a pulling G earhole a DE on a kickout block.

Double Eagle/Bear is designed to prevent inside runs. Often there is a S in a 9 tech and a LB in a 7 tech over the TE, so it is difficult to run to the strong side unless you use a Wing, unbalanced line or Yale formation. It is essentially a six-man DL like the 6-2 Over-Under-Normal Defenses used to defend the Single Wing.

What could be exploited against Double Eagle is that the OTs are uncovered. Also, the standard coverage is cover 3. Homer Smith has an article in Offensive Football Strategies, "Scoring Through the Double Eagle", where he suggests:
                • ~ Boot;
                  ~ Sprint Draw;
                  ~ Counter Sweep;
                  ~ Off Tackle with Counter;
                  ~ Counter Option;
                  ~ Speed Option from the I using the FB to seal;
                  ~ Trap;
                  ~ PAP;
                  ~ Dropback Pass;
                  ~ and, Option Pass set up by Speed O.

If the Broncos want to run the ball, they need to have contingencies for the looks they got in 2011. There isn't a defensive front impervious to the run. You just need to know which formations and which plays to use and have patience. The Broncos showed a bunch of formations and run plays in 2011. They have a good foundation on which to build.

Sam, here are a couple of screen caps.

Looks like they ran different variations as far as techniques are concerned.

Comment

• Recognizing and Attacking the D

Originally posted by demosthenes9 View Post
                  Sam, here are a couple of screen caps.

Looks like they ran different variations as far as techniques are concerned.
                  It's a 50 defense (Bud Wilkinson OU 1947-63), five DL with stand up Ends and two Backers.

The frames that you show have an adjustment called Eagle, I think. Will need to check my 50 D playbook which I haven't opened in almost twenty years. Aggie and Eagle are the two line shifts and I think the one you are showing is Eagle. Anyway, the weakside 5 tech kicks inside to a 3 tech.

In all three frames, the Broncos are in a balanced, direct snap/shotgun formation. The first one is somewhat spread, the second is tight and the third has one TE.

This alignment is designed to stop Double (zone read) Option. If the RB was on the other side of the QB, the DT on that side would be in 5 tech. The coverage looks like soft cover 1 (mirror on motion man) with a single deep Safety.

Triple Option might work better than Double with a motion man for give via shovel pass or as the pitch man. Strong side G is uncovered for the give area. For keep you either read the 5 tech or 9 tech blocking the one you don't read. Spread Option is difficult against this alignment. That 9 tech looks like Ninkovich who was very aggressive in both games.

You could run outside Veer, but from gun there might be a problem with Option Course relative to Pitch Course. Motion could make Load Option a possibility.

A Single Wing play, with no Wing, could be Off Tackle with the uncovered G pulling to kick out the 9 tech End (earhole Mr. Ninkovich), double the 5 tech and use the RB as a lead blocker with QB keep. The TE could chip to the playside Backer. IMO this is the best choice to run from this formation against this alignment. No pitch = better ball security. This situation is one where you throw the ball to set up running it, although Off Tackle is a good power run play.

What the Broncos should have done would have been to get out of balanced gun. I'd be interested to see how the D would align on Over Trips. Bunch routes could be run from Trips and that would get D out of cover 1. Mesh, Triangle, Smash and Dig would be open all day against that soft cover 1 they were showing. Motion to Trips would show man coverage. They would need to switch to zone, cover 2, 3 or 4 which might pull those Ends off the LOS for more of a 3-4 look.

The Broncos were handicapped by the loss of Spencer Larsen because I formations weren't as effective with no regular FB. If the Broncos run I formations often in 2012, they may need to be two deep at FB, or have one guy who can go FB/RB and another FB/H-Back. Either way, a player accustomed to blocking from the FB position needs to be ready at all times. With I formations, power run plays and Boot off of play action are quite handy with a mobile QB.

No run play should be used unless it has a PAP with appropriate routes.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• I agree. Out of all the games, Pitt was one of Denver's best this year, and a surprising one at that.

Good for a little payback!
                    sigpic

Comment

• epic video

Ok this is amontage about the win vs the steelers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plyN...abRVAAAAAAAAAw

The miracle soundtrack makes it so great
                      sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

• lol at the music...

Comment

• Yea, thats one of my favorite videos. I love it. I don't care how many times it gets posted Its seriously so amazing. That win was a thing of beauty and its so nice to have all us Bronco fans all happy at the same time. A night I'll never forget.
                          :salute: :goz: :salute:

Comment

• Nice--I still get emotional watching it--cp
                            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• This is the best Bronco memory I have since the 2005 Season.

As far as I am concened someone can post it every few weeks or so.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                                Nice--I still get emotional watching it--cp
                                I'm with ya, I actually get choked up watching that moment of beauty!

Comment

Working...
                                X