X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP: Broncos DT Marcus Thomas heads up one of the coolest causes

Looks like the big guy is doing big things

Link

As community service goes, Broncos defensive tackle Marcus Thomas came up with one of the better ones.

Soon after he was drafted by the Broncos in 2007, Thomas was looking for a cause to help him give back. A former FBI agent recommended he look at the National Child ID program.

This protects children in case they become missing by providing the family with an ID kit that includes a picture of their child, finger prints and DNA samples, making it much easier to find the child in case of an emergency.

“I think it’s a great deal,” Thomas said Wednesday. “You don’t have to go through getting the DNA samples and all that scrambling around. You can have it in your database already just in case anything happens.”

Thomas has provided ID kits to every kindergartner in the state of Colorado since 2007 and because of the success of the program, it has now been adopted by the NFL and over 32 million kids from across the country. Thomas was the first NFL player to become involved in this program and his initiative and work was recognized Tuesday night before 7,000 coaches attending the American Football Coaches Association convention in Florida.

Thomas was in Denver preparing for the Broncos’ upcoming second-round playoff game at New England so accepting on his behalf was his agent James Burnoski.

“It’s cool,” Thomas said. “I’m hoping it goes bigger than that. I’m going back to Florida and try to see what I can do to keep it rolling this offseason.”

sigpic

Good on the big guy. I like it when people give back to the community/people that support them.

Comment

This is a great tool.

Nice job MT!

Bump!

Comment

Very Cool!
        Go Broncos!!!

Comment

This is awesome! Hope it gets the attention it deserves!

Comment

He signed what, a one year contract? I am a supporter of him. You hardly hear speak of a "problem" at DT or DL this year.

I haven't seem him playing with his nasty out and I hope he can beast up. He has played really well holding the line and I hope he will be around for a while.
            I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Awesome to see a guy that had 'character concerns' coming out of college doing such great things representing our team so well.

Comment

I personally hate the idea of this program, but that is because I follow politics and have read the book 1984. Haha. The next generation is screwed.

Comment

Way to go Marcus Thomas

Man this is a very easy team to root for
                  sigpic
                  Thank you Charger$

Comment

You know, I love the fact that it appears that lots of Denver Broncos are involved in Community Service AND that, unlike what happens with some other teams, it's not court ordered by a judge,

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                      I personally hate the idea of this program, but that is because I follow politics and have read the book 1984. Haha. The next generation is screwed.
                      I definitely understand your point and Orwell was definitely right on the money and predicting the trajectory of Western society. However this program will do far more good than bad in the long run. Thousands of children go missing every day, so hopefully this can help to get rid of that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Sometimes these child safe Id kits are used for marketing for insurance companies. Not saying this is the case here but I worked briefly for a company that used these as a bait and switch kind of tool.

Comment

Great cause also awesome MT has contributed so much to it with no attention til now

The "Tin Hat" people can stop with their X-Files type theories lol
                          Let's Ride!

Comment

I don't get how that's useful unless only the body is found ...? Most kidnapped children can talk and tell you who they are by the time they'd be getting a DNA test wouldn't you think? The pics might help I guess if they're well detailed

Great to see him try and do good one way or the other I'm just curious why this thing is so useful

Comment

Working...
                            X