Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elway teaches amateurs football: Tebow's not supposed to complete at 60%.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway teaches amateurs football: Tebow's not supposed to complete at 60%.

From one of the greatest to have ever played the position.

To summarize from what I remember from memory in the latest press conference:
    "Your completion % is going to be decided by the way the defense is playing you. If they play you in man coverage, and have 9 in the box, and give you the deep ball, don't expect a quarterback to be a 60% passer. The best you're going to be is about 50% and it's about what you can do within that percentage."

Haters: go away.

ESPN: Hire Elway if you want a real analyst on the QB position that understand why some of the greatest ever never completed at 60%.

Thank you so much for making that statement John. Awesome!

Yes. I thought this was a HUGE statement by Elway.

Comment

It's what I've been saying. So glad Elway said it.
      "This guy here is 250 pounds of concrete cyanide, man. And he can throw. He throws well enough at any level to play quarterback."

Jon Gruden on Tim Tebow

Comment

Awesome statement by Elway! I didn't think he was going to behind Tebow for next season, But looks like he is! If Elway can really help Tebow and work with him a lot! Watch out Tebow is going to be even more of a beast next year!

Comment

Agreed this irritated me to no end glad to see Elway put a stop to it. I swear to God if I hear Dilfer say anticipation or conflict one more time I'm going to have blood shooting out of my eyeballs.
          Last edited by Buckin' Bronco; 01-16-2012, 12:01 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Tebow still needs to get better.

Comment

Not to mention the absurd amount of drops by the receivers. Imagine Aaron Rodgers having to deal with his receivers playing 16 games the same way they played yesterday (Packers had 8 dropped passes, possibly a couple more). Rodgers wouldnt have a high completion percentage either.

Tebow has gotta get better, no denying that, but if his receivers caught only 1/2 of their drops, Tebow would have had about a 53% completion percentage this year instead of a 47% completion percentage.
              Denver Broncos
              New York Yankees
              New York Knicks
              Colorado Avalanche

sigpic

Comment

For people that actually know the game Elway's comment is a breath of fresh air. For those that rely on biased talking heads then Elway's comment completely confuses them.

Go Broncos! Go Elway! Go Tebow!

Comment

His completion percentage would have been higher if he would at least look at the underneath routes. Just sayin'

Comment

I basically said that this morning in the Tebow Franchise QB thread.
                    sigpic

Comment

I laugh at these threads all day because what Tebow needs to do gets progressively higher as he improves. There are some QBs in the NFL that are thought of as good passers that don't have 60% lifetime numbers. I know of a couple very near and dear to our hearts.
                      sigpic

Comment

I also thought it was real classy of him to give the nod to Tom Brady as "the" example of how to play the QB position and how he's going to go down as one of the greatest in history.

Of course John's smart enough to understand the difference between why Tom completes versus when you play in Denver's style offense. I wouldn't have expected any different. And so does Brady.

Also I want to remind everyone what the other Legend, Joe Montana said about Tim Tebow's throwing motion in August 2011:

Joe Montana says don't change Tim Tebow's throwing motion: "I wouldn't change it".

This was before he even had success this year. Elway said the same thing today: "Quick release depends more on timing, footwork, receiver routes, and the rest of your offense than arm throwing mechanics"

So now we have both Joe Montana and John Elway that says there is nothing wrong with Tebow's throwing motion or passing or completion % and that you shouldn't expect him to complete passes like Brady if he's not playing in Brady's offense.

Any more questions?

Comment

Originally posted by HASHxBROWNS View Post
                          Awesome statement by Elway! I didn't think he was going to behind Tebow for next season, But looks like he is! If Elway can really help Tebow and work with him a lot! Watch out Tebow is going to be even more of a beast next year!
                          He's been saying for months he's behind Tebow and is going to work with him. The ones who say otherwise are the blowhard talking heads on ESPN and elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckin' Bronco View Post
                            Agreed this irritated me to no end glad to see Elway put a stop to it. I swear to God if I hear Dilfer say anticipation or conflict one more time I'm going to have blood shooting out of my eyeballs.
                            Dilfer is sitting behing that desk for a reason.

Comment

Elway is a very smart guy, and sure knows how to play the QB position, and win Super bowls, I trust whatever he thinks!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X