Dropped Pass %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped Pass %

I put these in another thread, but I just deleted them because I figured it could use it's own.

@MileHighReport

According to @ProFootbalFocus, Eric Decker was 8th in NFL in terms of drop % to catchable balls (53 catchable, 9 drops, 16.98%).

Also making the 'Top-20' was Demaryius Thomas (37 catchable, 5 drops, 13.51%)

Among the best in terms of drop rate - former #Broncos WR Jabar Gaffney, who was 7th best. (69 catchable, 2 drops, 2.9%).

Dez Bryant, whom the #Broncos passed to take Thomas, was #2 in the NFL(63 catchable, 1 drop, 1.56%)

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...ping-the-ball/
    Last edited by jetdrumz; 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM.
    Decimating the competition, leaving in the wake a blind ambition.

elecshoc
    You will be for ever known as the truth see-er

Who led the NFL in drops?
    sigpic

Comment

Thomas gets a pass because honestly, the guy hadn't been in live action for almost a year before he was put in mid-season.

Decker, though, has to get better. It wouldn't be quite as disappointing if he hadn't had a reputation as a sure-handed receiver coming out of college.

I'm a Clemson fan and am biased...but I think Tyler Grisham would fit perfectly in the slot. Kid doesn't drop stuff.

Comment

These are not my observations btw. Just MHR tweets.

elecshoc

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
          Who led the NFL in drops?
          According to the chart on the site, Roddy White with 15 drops. It doesn't seem like a complete chart though, as I notice no Jaguars on the list.

elecshoc

Comment

Originally posted by jetdrumz View Post
            According to the chart on the site, Roddy White with 15 drops. It doesn't seem like a complete chart though, as I notice no Jaguars on the list.
            So Matt Ryan had the receiver with the most drops in the NFL, yet still managed to complete 61% of his passes for over 4,000 yards and 29 touchdowns.

Now I say this assuming the purpose of this thread is to somehow excuse Tebow's accuracy or overall passing issues. If that's not the purpose then I apologize. If it is, do you see how trying to excuse one person's individual performance by blaming anyone and everyone else around him is futile?

No one is saying that Denver has a stellar group of receivers. I think Thomas can be great, maybe even elite. I think Decker can be a solid #2. But they're not there yet. But their shortcomings does not excuse Tebow's shortcomings or passing flaws.
            sigpic

Comment

Worse part about it is, those drops are huge for an offense to gain any form of rhythm. Just look at what happened to GB offense this past weekend because of drops.

Comment

Wow. That's amazing and proves what I've been seeing with my eyes all year. What is Brandon Lloyd? I understand why the Broncos got rid of him at the time, but man, I can't imagine how it would have been if he were on the team. How many acrobatic catches did we see this year?

Two guys in the top 20 in percentage dropped? I think the main issue here is that you have BOTH top WRs being very young and raw and playing with a young and raw QB. I feel this stat is almost bound to be the case. Most teams have at least 1 good veteran that'll make those nice catches and keep the chains moving. Denver has 2 guys that have dropped a ton of important third downs and failed to make a lot, if any, acrobatic catches as well (i.e., A.J. Green with Dalton this year...wow...so many acrobatic catches).

I think the off-season is going to be almost most important for this team than any. #1 WR, #2 WR, and #1 QB have never had a single full offseason in the NFL. Not 1. And considering all 3 are "raw-type" players, that's pretty damn important.

Comment

So Matt Ryan had the receiver with the most drops in the NFL, yet still managed to complete 61% of his passes for over 4,000 yards and 29 touchdowns.

Now I say this assuming the purpose of this thread is to somehow excuse Tebow's accuracy or overall passing issues. If that's not the purpose then I apologize. If it is, do you see how trying to excuse one person's individual performance by blaming anyone and everyone else around him is futile?

No one is saying that Denver has a stellar group of receivers. I think Thomas can be great, maybe even elite. I think Decker can be a solid #2. But they're not there yet. But their shortcomings does not excuse Tebow's shortcomings or passing flaws.
                  15 is Roddy's number but what is his percentage? Additionally, Roddy makes a good dozen-plus acrobatic catches a year to make up for it. Ryan also has one of the top Tight Ends of all time to throw to and a great o-line. I live in Atlanta so I see a lot of the games. There's a TON of small dump offs and screens...including to Roddy. That's going to boost any QB's throwing percentage.

Did you see Tebow's yards per attempt for passes over 15 yards? Highest in the league. Everyone is so obsessed with Tebow's percentage. If this offense ran small screens and slants then Tebow's percentage could easily hit 60%...easily. Especially considering how good he is at the long ball.

I love Thomas, I think he can definitely be elite in a couple years. I like Decker as more of a #3. Tebow has come a long, long, long way, but still has a lot of work to do (so much potential there). His stare off of Palu for the 30-yard TD to Royal was a thing of beauty. He just needs to get more consistent with plays like that. I think a full offseason of this team playing together is going to be pivotal.
                  Last edited by RustyGator; 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Urbs View Post
                    Worse part about it is, those drops are huge for an offense to gain any form of rhythm. Just look at what happened to GB offense this past weekend because of drops.
                    But rhythm is a two-way street.

When you're only throwing the ball 15-20 times a game, complete less than half of those passes, and you essentially ask your receivers to only do go and corner routes beyond 10 yards, you're not giving them any chance for rhythm or consistency either.

Bottom line: the ENTIRE passing game has to improve.
                    sigpic

Comment

With the talk of Tim Tebow improving his passer rating,this statistic really stands out to me.You can't blame the QB if his two main receivers can't catch the football.

Comment

Agreed that it's a 2 way street.

elecshoc

Comment

Your not looking at the whole picture. He dropped only 13% of the passes thrown to him while Decker had nearly 17%. Also Matt Ryan has only 1 WR on that list. Tony Gonzalez is in the top 10 between 2008-2010.

Realistically what your looking at is an offense who hardly passes with a huge amount of dropped passes = disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Urbs View Post
                            Your not looking at the whole picture. He dropped only 13% of the passes thrown to him while Decker had nearly 17%. Also Matt Ryan has only 1 WR on that list. Tony Gonzalez is in the top 10 between 2008-2010.

Realistically what your looking at is an offense who hardly passes with a huge amount of dropped passes = disaster.
                            I am looking at the whole picture. I concede the receiving corps, while talented, is still very raw and inexperienced.

That doesn't excuse away all or even some of Tebow's flaws passing the football. As I said, when you only throw the ball 15-20 times, can't even complete half of those passes, and you ask the receivers to only do two different routes - go and corner - and all your passes are beyond 10 yards, you're not putting them in the best position to be consistent or rhythmic either.
                            sigpic

Comment

But rhythm is a two-way street.

When you're only throwing the ball 15-20 times a game, complete less than half of those passes, and you essentially ask your receivers to only do go and corner routes beyond 10 yards, you're not giving them any chance for rhythm or consistency either.

Bottom line: the ENTIRE passing game has to improve.
                              That was sort of the same argument I made earlier this year. We didn't throw as often as the typical offense so a drop had twice the impact.

The throws we did make were typically at crucial moments when we needed to convert. Either there was a poorly thrown ball or a drop.

I think that will improve with time.

Comment

Working...
                              X