• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarkHorse26
    Starter
    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Crazy8 View Post
    It doesn't work that way. I believe it works off of targets and not catches. The point is that he shouldn't have had 5 drops with only 19 catches. The production doesn't match the elite receiver's drops.
    Well it works for balls he got his hands on which is more accurate than targets.
    sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

• TheThreeAmigos
      Practice Squad
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      Would you say Rod Smith is a guy who wouldn't give a rats --- about numbers?

So if he says HE would be frustrated in this offense, why would you expect Royal not to be?
      So is there audio of this quote, did it actually get printed somewhere or is this second hand from a guy who clearly has established his agenda?

Just sayin'
      "A 'W' is a 'W' and it doesn't matter how you get it. If you win ugly, it's still a 'W.' Mechanics don't play the game, people do." -Floyd Little

Comment

• Crazy8
        Playmaker
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
        Well it works for balls he got his hands on which is more accurate than targets.
        I think we can agree that it's not good.

Comment

• catsigater
          Bench Warmer
          • Jul 2010

According to Williams, Rod mentioned he wouldn't like playing with Tebow, but if you listened to the podcast, he didn't say a thing about Smith talking about Eddie Royal.

He said he "knows" Eddie Royal is dissatisfied.

Then he said Rod Smith told him, as mentioned in the OP, that it would have been hard to play receiver with Tim Tebow because of the inconsistency, and that staying disciplined in routes would be hard because one would rarely be rewarded with the ball.

But nowhere does Williams say he has any direct first-hand knowledge that Eddie's dissatisfied, nor does he say Rod Smith told him Eddie's dissatisfied.

Typical Williams bloviating and sponging off Smith's star power.

He also said Eddie Royal is another Wes Welker.

Last edited by catsigater; 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• DarkHorse26
            Starter
            • Mar 2010

I think we can agree that it's not good.
            Agreed. Eddie is better than that, passing offense or not.
            sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

• KansasKrista
              Starter
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
              See this is why Broncos fans and Tebow fans differ. Bronco fans understand the importance of a passing game, we understand you must pass to win. We understand that the passing game is a double edge sword, meaning both the QB and WR.

Your money talks line is the truth but you get your money from production and you cant produce as a WR with a less than accurate passer who's worst tendencies is to lock on to a single reciever without going threw his progressions.

This is the difference between a "HATER" and a "FANATIC"! One has Denver Broncos Merchandise while the rest have a Tim Tebow poster right next to their Justin Beiber's (sp) poster.
              How frickin insulting. Please never ever question my fanhood again.. ever!!

I am done defending myself to haters like you because I happen to have a different opinion. This junk where we question each other as being "true fans" is total bull and should be condemned on this board once and for all!!

I have been a fan for 17 years and that right there should end this "Tebow fan" junk!! I would use another word but, I don't like vulgarity.. in this case though it seems totally fitting.

Honestly.. I am sick of it.
              Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore

Comment

• KansasKrista
                Starter
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                Rod Smith said he couldn't play in this offense with Tebow as the QB either.

I'm waiting for the thread bashing him.
                You won't find one... Tebow seems to be one of the few players its perfectly ok to trash day in and day out.
                Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore

Comment

• kevlar441
                  Special Teams
                  • Sep 2009

Because he was doing so much better going down the field? 6 for 22 mean anything to you? Notice those 6 receptions for for 60 yards. That's 10 yards a reception.

What about 9 for 26?

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. You have a QB who struggles with accuracy, right?

So, your answer is to make him go downfield a lot as opposed to making short easy throws underneath.

Is that how it works? So if I have someone shooting a gun who can't hit a target 25 feet in front of them, I should have them try targets at a thousand yards? Is that what you're saying?
                  That actually is exactly how it works with QB's that have a certain skill set coming into the NFL.

John Elway was notoriously bad at short "touch" or timing routes when he came into the NFL. The "Elway Cross" was used to describe how hard he threw the ball. (Given that the end of the ball hit receivers so hard it left a mark.)

It is odd that Elway now considers "pocket passing" so important - but he himself was anything but a pocket passer when he came into the league. It took him years to become one. Yet he is still remembered most for his scrambling ability, long ball and "drive to win" via the "helicopter" in his first Super Bowl win. One in which his running back was the MVP.

However, my question is twofold. "How can we structure Wide Receiver contracts so these "Divas" actually want to play in this system?" And, given the fact the Broncos just lost to the little known NEW ENGLAND freaking PATRIOTs, who utilize not one, but two, world class Tight Ends; "Shouldn't that position be a major focus in this offseason?" I mean, there was another little known guy named Shannon Sharpe who kinda sorta helped Elway. Eddie Royal is a small slot receiver (and return man). Sharpe was a big "go to guy" when nothing else was open.

No one seems to mention the "under-utilized" Tight End position in these forums. And the Broncos just got creamed by TOM BRADY and CO., in part, because that is such an ever present threat in their game!

What about spending the same money (and more) on a Tight End?
                  Last edited by kevlar441; 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM.
                  "Talk does not make a man ... only action can!"

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                    All-Time Great
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by catsigater View Post
                    We really don't know what Rod Smith said. We know what Alfred Williams said Rod Smith said.
                    True, but I believe him.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                      team preacher
                      • Mar 2008

Some of the fabrications in this thread have gotten pretty good.

Rod didn't say he wouldn't play for Tebow. He said it would be difficult. Rod is a professional and he would have done whatever it takes.

Jeesh people....go on a vacation or something.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• broncos SB2010
                        All-Time Great
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by #Broncosfan View Post
                        This is just another attempt by A Williams to stir up controversy. He doesn't know anything about anything. He is a radio guy hoping to bump up his ratings. I will give him that he is successful at convincing simple minds that he speaks the truth.

Royal is literally the last person who would say something like this. Royal is not a superstar, but he does have moments of greatness. He is humble, and happy with the Broncos. He is Tebow's number 1 fan on this team.

I love Royal, but I hope both he and Tebow show some growth next year.
                        He no longer has to be humble, happy or a Tebow fan. Very shortly his contract will be up and he will no longer be a Bronco.
                        sigpic

Comment

• jarbronco
                          Practice Squad
                          • Sep 2011

I seem to remember that Rod Smith and Ed Mccaffrey were a huge part of the reason the running game at that time is considered to be one of the best running schemes ever. Tebow is going to get better in the pocket, either he gets it done, or he won't be here. A little patience on the side of the WR core is required. If they aren't patient, and don't want to block downfield, they will be gone too. (I know Decker and Thomas are all in) It's hard for Royal to block with his build, but he is not used as much as a blocker. I am sure he's "unsatisfied" because he didn't get nearly the catches he wanted to, but that doesn't mean he's not in for the long haul. Look at it as a positive thing. If he was satisfied with this past season, he would be the only Bronco. Ask Tebow how he feels about the season. I am sure he's "unsatisfied" as well.
                          Last edited by jarbronco; 01-18-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• elway93
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Oct 2010

Would anyone actually be upset if we didn't bring him back? He had one good year, and that was way back in '08. On top of that he's undersized, and probably won't be willing to play for a minimum salary (which is all he deserves). Draft a guy in the fifth or sixth round and he'll be just as productive.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                              team preacher
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by elway93 View Post
                              Would anyone actually be upset if we didn't bring him back? He had one good year, and that was way back in '08. On top of that he's undersized, and probably won't be willing to play for a minimum salary (which is all he deserves). Draft a guy in the fifth or sixth round and he'll be just as productive.
                              Royal has immense value with his return ability alone. He will take one to the house occasionally, and he's speed and cutting ability also usually translates to good field position. He's one of the best punt returners in the league.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• jarbronco
                                Practice Squad
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                                Royal has immense value with his return ability alone. He will take one to the house occasionally, and he's speed and cutting ability also usually translates to good field position. He's one of the best punt returners in the league.
                                Absolutly and those yards are more important to a team that depends mostly on the running game.

Comment

Working...
                                X