Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'A Guy You Want to Fight For'

'A Guy You Want to Fight For'

With their first season under John Fox complete, players in the Denver locker room spoke about how much they enjoyed playing for the Broncos' head coach.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – When Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway and General Manager Brian Xanders began searching for a head coach to lead the 2011 Broncos, they had a singular objective in mind.

“We needed these guys to enjoy football again,” Elway said.

John Fox was the man for that job.

After completing their first season under Fox’s lead, several Broncos attested to it.

“He was the right hire,” wide receiver Eddie Royal said. “He just came out and was the same guy every day. That meant a lot to us, and that’s a guy you want to fight for every game.”

The resilient Broncos were known for their fight all year long, notching comeback victories left and right.

And they had fun doing it.

"Probably the most fun I've ever had playing football," kicker Matt Prater said during the Broncos’ thrilling six-game win streak.

Fox brought energy and confidence to a team that needed it following a 4-12 campaign. His players respected him and instantly noticed a change in the atmosphere at Dove Valley.

“I think the moment coach Fox stepped foot at the facility, that losing aspect just left the building,” linebacker Joe Mays said. “He just said, ‘We’re going to be a good football team this year. We’re going to turn some heads, right some wrongs, and we’re going to go out there and show that we can play football with the best of them.’

That’s exactly what they did, claiming the AFC West division title and upsetting the defending AFC Champion Steelers in the Wild Card round.

Fox believed in his team’s potential despite their dissapointing 2010 season and worked to bring out their collective best.

"The positive vibe that Coach Fox has, he's a personable guy, he's a joking guy, but he'll shoot you straight on the things you need to hear," safety Brian Dawkins said. "He just brought a feel-good to a hurting locker room, to be honest."

His players responded.

“He’s probably the best coach I’ve had,” wide receiver Eric Decker said. “He’s a veteran guy that’s seen a lot of football. Very personal man, which I think is big in this league because a guy who can be a players’ coach and demand respect, it’s a good combination.”

“He understands the difference between being a great football player and being a great all-around player with mental toughness, with being a student of the game and he incorporates all that,” Decker added. “I think a lot of guys learn from him and definitely respect him.”

The respect and appreciation went both ways.

“I was as proud of them as any team I’ve ever coached," Fox said.
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...a-01c29906e09e

What a great hire it was.

Man I cant wait for TC to start!

Comment

John Fox is an excellent coach for this team, the players seem really invested in him, which is fantastic after McFail.
      sigpic

Comment

I didn't like it at first, but John Fox has pleasently surprised me. The old dog has learned some new tricks.
        Denver Broncos GM
        Originally posted by Mosk
        Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Fox has been great.

Comment

Now if only Foxball wasn't so boring to watch LOL
            DENVER STAND UP!!!

Comment

hopefully he teaches these wrs to catch
              sigpic
              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

He was a great hire without question.

Welcome back defense, and running game!!

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                  hopefully he teaches these wrs to catch
                  Here we go again..

Comment

One thing I've noticed about Fox that I really like is that he's a touchy-feely guy with his players. He's always hugging, slapping, high-fiving his guys on the sidelines when they run off the field. It's obvious that he likes them and views them as people, not just assets or chess pieces, and the players clearly respond to it.

Comment

Let's see....Fox came from a Carolina Panther team that was 2-14 in 2010 that finished 2011 with a 6-10 with Rivera and Newton (rookie), took over a 2-14 Broncos team during a lockout which limited offseason training, started the 2011 season 1-4 with Orton, switch midseason to a young quarterback in Tebow and has to create a completely new offensive scheme midseason and Finish 8-8 and entered and winning the first round of the playoffs against the Steelers.
                      Let's see what they are able to do with a full offseason training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by roperdoug View Post
                        Let's see....Fox came from a Carolina Panther team that was 2-14 in 2010 that finished 2011 with a 6-10 with Rivera and Newton (rookie), took over a 2-14 Broncos team during a lockout which limited offseason training, started the 2011 season 1-4 with Orton, switch midseason to a young quarterback in Tebow and has to create a completely new offensive scheme midseason and Finish 8-8 and entered and winning the first round of the playoffs against the Steelers.
                        Let's see what they are able to do with a full offseason training camp.
                        It is nice to hear the touchy feely stuff out of the players. You heard the same kinds of things early in the McDaniels tenure. Bailey was full of praise, Dawkins, Orton, DJ, Marshall was extremely positive mid season...

Winning cures everything!

Lets however not mistake the fact that Fox/McCoy had Orton looking worse than ever in the 1-4 start, and things only turning around when they put Tebow in as a desperation move. It was not a brilliant coaching move - it was the equivalent of a Hail Mary that worked.

So far Fox has not build a strong defense - we are still bottom dwellers - albeit now with a good pass rush. On offense we - in Tebow - has the tool to make some of the most innovative offensive plays in the league.

The Tebow before Fox (with McCoy) looked better than the Tebow with Fox. Our offense is not multidimensional. Fox success this year builds on some of the most controversial moves and talent evaluation of Josh McDaniels.

Lets see what Fox can do in the next year. I personally believe that trading Gaffney and BLloyd were huge mistakes. I have not seen many QBs that needs receivers that make amazing catches more than Tebow. The most successful plays he had last year was to Gaff, BLloyd and Buckhalter. We are missing great screen plays, and great catches.

Lets also face that Royal and Prater are looking for contracts. Dawkins is trying to squeeze the last drop...

Comment

That’s exactly what they did, claiming the AFC West division title and upsetting the defending AFC Champion Steelers in the Wild Card round.

:logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
                            It is nice to hear the touchy feely stuff out of the players. You heard the same kinds of things early in the McDaniels tenure. Bailey was full of praise, Dawkins, Orton, DJ, Marshall was extremely positive mid season...

Lets however not mistake the fact that Fox/McCoy had Orton looking worse than ever in the 1-4 start, and things only turning around when they put Tebow in as a desperation move. It was not a brilliant coaching move - it was the equivalent of a Hail Mary that worked.

So far Fox has not build a strong defense - we are still bottom dwellers - albeit now with a good pass rush. On offense we - in Tebow - has the tool to make some of the most innovative offensive plays in the league.

The Tebow before Fox (with McCoy) looked better than the Tebow with Fox. Our offense is not multidimensional. Fox success this year builds on some of the most controversial moves and talent evaluation of Josh McDaniels.

Lets see what Fox can do in the next year. I personally believe that trading Gaffney and BLloyd were huge mistakes. I have not seen many QBs that needs receivers that make amazing catches more than Tebow. The most successful plays he had last year was to Gaff, BLloyd and Buckhalter. We are missing great screen plays, and great catches.

Lets also face that Royal and Prater are looking for contracts. Dawkins is trying to squeeze the last drop...
                            You are a Mcdaniels lover for what ever reason. You defend that dumbass yet cry over little things which this new regime has done wrong.

PS: When we actually won games we were a dominant defense. When we were bad bar one game we got beat. This defense was a huge reason for our wins this year. And don't forget our one dimension which Mcdaniels ruined when he got here. The run game. That was a huge reason for our success this year also. Plus the culture is much better at least according to the actual players. Fox is a real coach. Mcdaniels is joke of a coach. I have noticed the very few Mcdaniels fanboys also cry about the new coach.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanDK View Post

Boy! If we could get Hernandez (Patriots) and Harvin (Vikings) who knows how to catch balls from Tebow, we'd see a different Bronco team.

Comment

Working...
                              X