If you could change one rule. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could change one rule. . .

If you were able to make 1 change to the rules or how the game is played,anything you can think of what would it be & why?
    sigpic

Pass interference. Use college rules where it's a 15 yard penalty.

Why? I think all calls are strictly judgement and can be ticky tack. Maybe not strictly judgemental but most calls of PI turn into points.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shiz View Post
      Pass interference. Use college rules where it's a 15 yard penalty.

Why? I think all calls are strictly judgement and can be ticky tack. Maybe not strictly judgemental but most calls of PI turn into points.
      What if they were reviewable?
      sigpic

Comment

Either that or you're allowed to have one player carry a stun gun for only one play, one play only.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
          What if they were reviewable?
          Sure. While keeping the standard reviewable calls. Up to the coach whether to challenge or not.
          sigpic

Comment

After score tied at the end of regulation put each team in opposition red zone to score. This will make game more exciting and fun to watch.

Comment

I would change the rule that goal line goes on through infinity . Either you get the ball over in bounds or its not a touch down I don't care what other part of the body makes it across if the ball doesn't it shouldn't be a touch down.

Runner up---Tuck rule---Unless the qb is actually in the process of throwing it is a fumble, if he makes it pass the point of release and the ball comes out then it is a fumble

I'd make both/either reviewable
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by broncozone View Post
                After score tied at the end of regulation put each team in opposition red zone to score. This will make game more exciting and fun to watch.
                You mean how they do it in college?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                  I would change the rule that goal line goes on through infinity . Either you get the ball over in bounds or its not a touch down I don't care what other part of the body makes it across if the ball doesn't it shouldn't be a touch down.

Runner up---Tuck rule---Unless the qb is actually in the process of throwing it is a fumble, if he makes it pass the point of release and the ball comes out then it is a fumble

I'd make both/either reviewable
                  While I could be incorrect, I think the goal line does not go around the earth anymore. I think they changed that two years ago.

----------------------

I'd change the defenseless receiver rule. I think by definition a receiver should never let himself be defenseless and if he does that is a risk that he is taking. A receiver (and the QB and sometimes the coach) has a consciousable choice whether or not to be (make him be) defenseless. The new rule addition is absolutely ludicrous. A receiver should not be given a gap in which to secure the ball. It absolutely corrupts the fundamentals of the game. The past and current movements of a very small MINORITY to protect individuals from themselves, treads on many of my core believes.
                  Last edited by marcus_miller; 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM.
                  I hate the Defenseless Receiver rule and the fines. Posted since '07. 2011 rule addition :nono: backhand a fool!

Comment

Originally posted by marcus_miller View Post
                    While I could be incorrect, I think the goal line does not go around the earth anymore. I think they changed that two years ago.

----------------------

I'd change the defenseless receiver rule. I think by definition a receiver should never let himself be defenseless and if he does that is a risk that he is taking. A receiver has a consciousable choice whether or not to be defenseless. The new rule addition is absolutely ludicrous. A receiver should not be given a gap in which to secure the ball. It absolutely corrupts the fundamentals of the game. The past and current movements of a very small MINORITY to protect individuals from themselves, treads on many of my core believes.
                    I didn't here that but you may be right I don't know and I havent seen it come up in game in the last 2 yrs. If thats the case you can move runner up to first. I'll have to try and look that up

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                      You mean how they do it in college?
                      I am not really aware of college rules that well.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus_miller View Post
                        I'd change the defenseless receiver rule. I think by definition a receiver should never let himself be defenseless and if he does that is a risk that he is taking. A receiver (and the QB and sometimes the coach) has a consciousable choice whether or not to be (make him be) defenseless. The new rule addition is absolutely ludicrous. A receiver should not be given a gap in which to secure the ball. It absolutely corrupts the fundamentals of the game. The past and current movements of a very small MINORITY to protect individuals from themselves, treads on many of my core believes.
                        This, I played every position on the field from elementary to high school. When I started playing S in high school I never let anyone come over the middle for a pass. Now I never intentionally hit anyone in their helmet, I always led with my shoulder and either flipped them when they jumped, or if I actually could line the hit up, I would hit them in their stomach and slam them into the ground. I made sure people hesitated when they came over the middle and I didn't let any pass get completed over the middle. I had tons of bruises on my shoulders and eventually the coaches put me at CB because they noticed I kept getting up slow after I made any hit in practice.

Also defenseless is a broad/vague term, I know the NFL isn't saying this is defenseless but at this rate one day they will. I remember in a tournament game we played one day some RB had got to the outside and I was coming at him at an angle where I was about 5 yards away and maybe a yard behind him. The CB who had been blocked way downfield managed to cut him off and force him to cut back right into me. He had no way off seeing me and I hit him as hard as I could, the problem was it was raining and when he cut he slipped a little bit. I hit him and snapped his leg, didn't realize I did that and got up and started celebrating the big hit. My teammates were pumped up, the kids mom came onto the field and yelled at me, the refs, and our coach. That's when I realized what happened. There aren't ways for ballcarriers to see people behind them and as rediculous as it sounds for something like this to be implemented, I think it's just as rediculous to do what they're doing with this new defenseless receiver rule.

Comment

Originally posted by broncozone View Post
                          I am not really aware of college rules that well.
                          Yeah they do that in college OT. Or they could just have teams start out on the 50 yard line.

Comment

I would allow TD celebrations. I like the Chad Johnson, TO type celebrations. It's more fun for the fans. Besides, they look good on NFL Films. Just limit them them to one minute or so. They hardly interrupt the flow of the game.

Reviewed calls are supposed to be timed, but they often go way over the limit, and that doesn't really interrupt the flow.

I can stand to be at the barn for a few more minutes for this.

I would also allow players to toss the balls into the crowd, like MLB does. Nobody has died going for a football yet. And the teams can certainly afford to lose a few balls.

Also, I think I would lose a few of the existing rules that hamper the defense these days. If you can't get hurt, you should play golf. No specific examples though. I'll leave that to the "details" guys.

Lastly, I would institute some kind of rule preventing lockouts or strikes. These guys all make plenty of money. If the players strike or the owners lockout the players, and any games are missed, they (the offending party) have to pay the season ticket holders on record AT LEAST 3 times the price of said tickets, plus the interest they originally took on those payments. Including preseason games. Take away some of that TV money, give it the fans who fill the seats, and these guys will fake the F up real fast and stop this nonsense! This would be beyond complicated though, and is true "Fantasy Football", lol.

What about you BFIP? It's your idea. What would you change?

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              This, I played every position on the field from elementary to high school. When I started playing S in high school I never let anyone come over the middle for a pass. Now I never intentionally hit anyone in their helmet, I always led with my shoulder and either flipped them when they jumped, or if I actually could line the hit up, I would hit them in their stomach and slam them into the ground. I made sure people hesitated when they came over the middle and I didn't let any pass get completed over the middle. I had tons of bruises on my shoulders and eventually the coaches put me at CB because they noticed I kept getting up slow after I made any hit in practice.

Also defenseless is a broad/vague term, I know the NFL isn't saying this is defenseless but at this rate one day they will. I remember in a tournament game we played one day some RB had got to the outside and I was coming at him at an angle where I was about 5 yards away and maybe a yard behind him. The CB who had been blocked way downfield managed to cut him off and force him to cut back right into me. He had no way off seeing me and I hit him as hard as I could, the problem was it was raining and when he cut he slipped a little bit. I hit him and snapped his leg, didn't realize I did that and got up and started celebrating the big hit. My teammates were pumped up, the kids mom came onto the field and yelled at me, the refs, and our coach. That's when I realized what happened. There aren't ways for ballcarriers to see people behind them and as rediculous as it sounds for something like this to be implemented, I think it's just as rediculous to do what they're doing with this new defenseless receiver rule.
                              good answer cps to you when i can cause i'm out right now. i may have to rethink because that rule really pisses me off and i think it may be more of an every day game changer rather than a one play that decides the game changer. good answer

Comment

Working...
                              X