Sound Familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Familiar?

Broncos pursing a SB winning QB and future Hall of Famer.

However, the HOF QB is coming off of a severe injury.

Doing so with a young Bronco QB on the roster, the QB had been with the Broncos for 2 years and had just won the starting job the previous year. The QB had won a national title in college.

Little history lesson here... the Broncos almost signed Steve Young back in 1999. Young debated between retiring or playing for the Broncos... the 49ers had released him. Of course, Young chose to retire (most would say smartly, especially with everything that came out about concussions the last 10 years)

The following season the Broncos still went back to the playoffs...lost to Baltimore.
    sigpicWe da Champs... you da Chumps.
    Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII and 50 Champions!

Except this time we sign the QB and go on to win the next 4 Super Bowls.

Comment

Originally posted by Champs Chumps View Post

Doing so with a young Bronco QB on the roster, the QB had been with the Broncos for 2 years and had just won the starting job the previous year. The QB had won a national title in college.

Little history lesson here... the Broncos almost signed Steve Young back in 1999. Young debated between retiring or playing for the Broncos... the 49ers had released him. Of course, Young chose to retire (most would say smartly, especially with everything that came out about concussions the last 10 years)

The following season the Broncos still went back to the playoffs...lost to Baltimore.
      Elway was the starter here in Denver in his second year. That would be 1984.

By 1999, Elway had been here 16 years and that was the last year he ever played.

These aren't remotely the same situation, and I doubt we seriously shopped for Young to replace Elway, but rather either as a backup role or for what to do after Elway retired.

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
        your dreaming..
        • no supporting cast for Manning here
        • an OL that is designed to run the ball
        • a HC that would rather run the ball than pass.
        • an OL is not built for pass protect..
        • no Decent TE
        • very immature WR's
        • no receiving Rb's

and the list goes on..

not even mentioning a decent D..

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
          Elway was the starter here in Denver in his second year. That would be 1984.

By 1999, Elway had been here 16 years and that was the last year he ever played.

These aren't remotely the same situation, and I doubt we seriously shopped for Young to replace Elway, but rather either as a backup role or for what to do after Elway retired.
          Yeah, sorry got the date wrong... it was 2000... Elway was retired... They were going to replace Griese.... who had started the previous year. I looked up to see Young last played in '99 so it was the off-season after that.... which would be 2000.
          My bad on the confusion.

Comment

We all know how much those NCAA championships turn into SB wins!

Oh wait... I can't think of ONE QB that won an NCAA that also won a SB.
            Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Yeah, sorry got the date wrong... it was 2000... Elway was retired... They were going to replace Griese.... who had started the previous year. I looked up to see Young last played in '99 so it was the off-season after that.... which would be 2000.
              My bad on the confusion.
              Fair enough. Thanks for the clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Oilersfan34 View Post
                We all know how much those NCAA championships turn into SB wins!

Oh wait... I can't think of ONE QB that won an NCAA that also won a SB.
                Joe Montana and Joe Namath.
                So, yeah, nothing in the last 20 years.

Comment

So it's safe to assume you'll be mad when we trade Tebow after we sign Manning?
                  RESTORE THE ORANGE CRUSH!!!!
                  :smash

LONG LIVE THE ORANGE AND BLUE!!!

Comment

My bad on the confusion.
                    and we all see how it ended up with griese

ill take manning
                    sigpic
                    -------

Comment

Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
                      Except Manning is physically disable and was only able to win 1 SB on a team he had chemistry with.

Until he has a workout, assume he is relearning how to write with a pen...let alone throw a football accurately.
                      Last edited by NewEnglandBronc; 03-09-2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Or we could become the Bucs who orginally let Young go because they didn't think he could play. You can spin almost everything to make a comparison to something.

Adopted Broncos:
                        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                        Adopted posters:
                        Everyone

Comment

Manning is a proven winner in the NFL. He has had at least 10 wins every year except one not counting his rookie season. That's a lot of wins! He would definitely make us a playoff or possibly a Superbowl contender.
                          He reads defenses like nobody. Could you imagine what Tebow could learn from this guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                            your dreaming..
                            • no supporting cast for Manning here
                            • an OL that is designed to run the ball
                            • a HC that would rather run the ball than pass.
                            • an OL is not built for pass protect..
                            • no Decent TE
                            • very immature WR's
                            • no receiving Rb's

and the list goes on..

not even mentioning a decent D..
                            Was enough of a supporting cast to make it to the playoffs with Tim Tebow as our QB......

Let me state that again for emphesis....TIM TEBOW!

I don't think you give the rest of this team enough credit if you don't think Manning can come in here and help us compete for a SB.
                            sigpic

Comment

History really has no indication on future results.

What was the Giant's record last year? 8-8? They won a superbowl, when no team with that finish had won it before.

It's extrememly difficult to win a superbowl. You put the pieces together you hope gives you the best chance, and hope a few things go your way.

My preference is not to sign Manning, but if they do, I wouldn't be upset. I don't care what Namath did or didn't do. It will only matter what Manning does or doesn't do.

Comment

Working...
                              X