Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drew Litton on Elway, Manning & Tebow : Ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
    I think pursuing the local McDonald's manager to be our OC would send the same message. Mediocre is actually quite impressive when you have Mike "I want to set more records than Bob Slowick" McCoy as a coordinator. Aaron Rodgers might be out of the league by now if he was groomed by this man.
    You can blame McCoy all you want but the reality is that he was handcuffed by a quarterback who wasn't a very good NFL passer. To completely change the offense around, put in the zone read, triple option and other run plays we did tells me he's a good coach. He played the hand he was dealt and he did okay. If he were as bad as you believe he wouldn't be getting praised around the NFL and wouldn't have had interviews for NFL head coaching jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      You can blame McCoy all you want but the reality is that he was handcuffed by a quarterback who wasn't a very good NFL passer. To completely change the offense around, put in the zone read, triple option and other run plays we did tells me he's a good coach. He played the hand he was dealt and he did okay. If he were as bad as you believe he wouldn't be getting praised around the NFL and wouldn't have had interviews for NFL head coaching jobs.
      (This is how I feel when people bring up McCoy being a bad OC)

:looks at bent-in-half rim:

"Hey, I think that tire's flat."
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoDonko View Post
        Lol at QBR. According to QBR, Tebow had the best postseason game in NFL history against the Steelers. Who could trade that kind of potential?!?! Best game of all time, against the #1 defense? Lordy, we've got Steve Young and Dan Marino all wrapped up in one. (Note: this is sarcasm, QBR is an atrocious statistic that has existed for like 18 months)

Also, total passing yards is a total joke to bring up. Tebow only played 11 regular season games and averaged the fewest pass attempts per game of any QB in the league. He was not last in yards per attempt.
        Sorry I don't remember what Tebow's QBR was in that game, but if I'm not mistaken Peyton Manning has had a couple of games with perfect QBR, one of the 2 playoff massacres against the Broncos in the RCA dome, and a playoff game in KC against the Chiefs....the Colts didn't punt in either game.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          I'm not a huge McCoy fan, but wouldn't blame him for Tebow's shortcomings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mk2_Tebow View Post
            I am all for Manning , that being said:

The Broncos were 7-24 before Tebow started and then 8-5 ...hhhmm mediocre? maybe ....but they LED the league in rushing and turned around a team that was the worst in the NFL to a divison champion that won a playoff game against the #1 defense in the league.

You can call Tebow a mediocre passer but the team did well enough as a whole to go 8-5 a complete turn around from 7-24

read this before responding :

The Broncos were the worst team in the 31 games before Tebow was named starter of the Broncos , 7-24 , worst in the NFL in that span, this can not be argued and is fact.

Tebow was not the only reason the Broncos completely turned around that abysmal record and ended 8-5 with a GREAT playoff win and the 2nd farthest into the post season the Broncos have gone since Elway. this can not be argued and is fact.

The Denver defense and the kicking game had as much to do with it and maybe even more than the QB change. this can not be argued and is fact.

Without Tebow the Broncos do not go 8-5 into the playoffs and get a great playoff win from the abysmal 7-24 run , as Tebow is one of the 3 pieces that were neccessary to get that accomplished (Quinn and Orton would not have had that success running the same offense) . this can not be argued and is fact.

Therefore Tebow deserves as much credit for the turn around as the defense and the kicking game and if not as much quite a bit (he was one of the 3 pieces) . this can not be argued and is fact.This is what I have always said.
            That's terrific about the turnaround from the previous 31 games, but lets face facts, our offense WAS mediocre at best last year. We weren't good at converting third downs, didn't put up many points and if we were down by 14 or more we had very little capability to come back.

The 8-5 record is great but that doesn't mean the team shouldn't look for an upgrade at any position possible, QB is no different.

Comment

At the same time Tebow was handcuffed by McCoy. No second year QB is a good passer by NFL standards but there are better ways to cater to them. Cam Newton is a great example, although it could be argued that McCoy's style was more condusive to winning as opposed to stats. Even so, it's easy to have the run-first mentality of McCoy without being as terrible as he is.

And the argument that people in the NFL are interested in McCoy makes him good is a fallacious one. Does Shanny liking Slowick make him a great mind on defense? Were the 6 OC's in SF all better than Harbaugh?

Comment

Originally posted by catsigater View Post
                Every team has multiple areas of need. The Broncos weren't actively seeking a starter to replace Tebow until Manning became an FA.

Ergo, "It's Peyton Manning."
                yes, they were.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                  yes, they were.
                  Proof?

Don't worry, I know you don't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
                    Those are facts. Haha sorry to be a stickler but saying worst passer is clearly an opinion, even with those facts as evidence. IMO of course lol
                    Well, since those are the "facts" that define a QB in the NFL as a passer, then being last in all three of those pretty much makes being the worst passer in the NFL a fact. LOL
                    You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
                      At the same time Tebow was handcuffed by McCoy. No second year QB is a good passer by NFL standards but there are better ways to cater to them. Cam Newton is a great example, although it could be argued that McCoy's style was more condusive to winning as opposed to stats. Even so, it's easy to have the run-first mentality of McCoy without being as terrible as he is.

And the argument that people in the NFL are interested in McCoy makes him good is a fallacious one. Does Shanny liking Slowick make him a great mind on defense? Were the 6 OC's in SF all better than Harbaugh?
                      There were plenty of first and second year starters in the NFL last season who are good passers by NFL standards.

What does Slowick have to do with McCoy? What do the OC's in San Fran have to do with McCoy? What does any of it have to do with Tebow currently having horrible footwork, decision making abilities, accuracy and well below average skills as an NFL passer?

Quit using scapegoats, Tebow was a bad passer this year, he could have had Bill Walsh as HC and a young Mike Shanahan as OC and it wouldn't have made him a good NFL passer, he doesn't have that skillset right now!

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                        (This is how I feel when people bring up McCoy being a bad OC)

:looks at bent-in-half rim:

"Hey, I think that tire's flat."
                        That's like saying Slowick isn't bad because we had Marquand Manuel. Talent and coaching are both important in the NFL, although I believe there is less parity in the talent department.

Tebow isn't a world-beater right now but McCoy isn't doing him any favors. They both suck but I happen to think McCoy sucks harder. You have to remember that Orton started the first five games. Unless Jabbar Gaffney is the most valuable receiver in the league then McCoy and Fox are a terrible combo. In fact it's eerie how similar it is to Shanny-Slowick besides the getting the HC fired part.

Comment

• Originally posted by catsigater View Post
                          Proof?

Don't worry, I know you don't have any.
                          They were looking for a QB who could come in and legitimately compete with tebow for the starting job. You know it and I know it.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                            They were looking for a QB who could come in and legitimately compete with tebow for the starting job. You know it and I know it.
                            "Compete" and "Replace" are two very different things. I know that. And hope you do as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by catsigater View Post
                              "Compete" and "Replace" are two very different things. I know that. And hope you do as well.
                              I agree but they wouldn't be looking for a true competition if they had all their faith in Tebow.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                                Well, since those are the "facts" that define a QB in the NFL as a passer, then being last in all three of those pretty much makes being the worst passer in the NFL a fact. LOL
                                Just as the QB doesn't determine the outcome of a game all by itself due to the fact that it's a team game, his stats are also affected by the rest of his team's performance. In fact, the rest of the team affects not only a QB's stats but his PERFORMANCE as well. If an offensive line does a terrible job protecting the QB, it may cause him to rush a play and miss an open guy on a play where he actually has plenty of time. Not saying that this specifically was the case wih our o-line, I'm just pointing out that this isn't baseball where you go up one at a time and basically add up your players' stats to determine the best team

Comment

Working...
                                X