Who did they play for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who did they play for?

The free recent free agency talk has caused me reflect on notable players, and the teams they are associated with. Throughout NFL history big names have switched teams late in their careers and had varying forms of success. So which team did they play for?
    Joe Montana
    Shannon Sharpe
    Joe Namath
    Brett Farve
    Jerry Rice
    Eric Dickerson
    Tony Dorsett
    Curtis Martin
    Art Monk
    OJ Simpson
    Emmitt Smith
    etc.

Each of those players has a team that they will be forever be associated with. They each went on to play for another team late in their career. They have had varying degrees of success with other teams. Shanon Sharpe, for example, won a Super Bowl with the Ravens. But was he ever a Raven? Has anyone ever thought of him as the TE that played for the Ravens? I haven't. Emmitt Smith finished his career with the Cardinals and Jerry Rice with the Seahawks. Are those the teams you associate with their names? Were they ever really 'part' of those teams?

When the Broncos won their first Super Bowl with Elway, what made it so special for you? Granted it was special just because we won, but for me, part of the reason it was so special was because the John finally got one!
    The magical words that will be forever echoed in Broncos lore are:
    "This one's for John!"
    He deserved it. We watched him struggle, mature, and become a Hall of Famer. He was a Bronco through and through, and the Broncos finally gave him what he deserved, a Superbowl ring. That moment was magical for me.

Fast forward to 2012. When you think of Peyton Manning, who do you think of? Sure, he will have some amount of success with the Broncos, but will he ever really be a Bronco? Will the NFL pundits, sportscasters, and fans, when they talk years from now, say he was a Denver Bronco? I think not. He will always be a Colt.

That said, winning and organizational success are always great. But what really makes them great? What makes it great for me is winning as a team, and winning with Broncos. It seems inevitable that we will bring in Peyton, and it makes me sad. Not because we are almost guaranteed success with him, but because he will never really be a Bronco. Now, I don't care if Tanehill becomes the next Elway, and I don't care if it is Tebow, Quinn, or someone I've never heard of that becomes that franchise guy. What I do know is that no matter how much success we have with Manning, he will never really be a Bronco, and that will make the victories bitter-sweet. The next few years might be fun, but not in an Elway-way. They will be fun in a superficial way and a borrowed way.

Brian Dawkins may always be remembered as an Eagle and he'll probably retire with the Eagles

But I still feel like Dawkins was a huge part of the Denver Broncos for the limited time he was here
    sigpic
    Thank you Charger$

Comment

To me it doesn't matter. If we win a super bowl with Manning I'll be happy. And I think of it as Champ finally gets that ring he deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by one5beast View Post
        To me it doesn't matter. If we win a super bowl with Manning I'll be happy. And I think of it as Champ finally gets that ring he deserves.
        That's where I differ. I'd be happy, but not elated like b4. I have no emotional attachment to Manning whatsoever so I would only be but so happy. Happy for Champ and that's about it. But, as I said in another thread, if we win with our guy that we groomed and watch go through ups and downs (not matter who that QB is) it means so much more. Weber winning a SB for us would have more meaning than Manning winning one for us and by a long shot.

Out of all the guys on that list, the only one with Rings from multiple teams is Sharpe. Ask him which one meant the most. Ask Raven fans about Sharpe and most don't even care about him, because he wasn't their guy. They are enamored for the Ray Lewis part of that SB win. Like we had some F/A's in 97-98, but the epic-ness was due to Elway, Sharpe, Smith, TD, Atwater, Braxton, Mobley, etc..... All our guys who we watched grow and bring us fans a trophy to brag about for the next millennia. A Manning led SB, won't have that zing to it as a Tebow or Weber SB would.
        #swapping

Comment

If Manning wins 2 or more super bowls with whatever team he signs with, it would be hard to not bring that up first when talking about his career

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
            That's where I differ. I'd be happy, but not elated like b4. I have no emotional attachment to Manning whatsoever so I would only be but so happy. Happy for Champ and that's about it. But, as I said in another thread, if we win with our guy that we groomed and watch go through ups and downs (not matter who that QB is) it means so much more. Weber winning a SB for us would have more meaning than Manning winning one for us and by a long shot.

Out of all the guys on that list, the only one with Rings from multiple teams is Sharpe. Ask him which one meant the most. Ask Raven fans about Sharpe and most don't even care about him, because he wasn't their guy. They are enamored for the Ray Lewis part of that SB win. Like we had some F/A's in 97-98, but the epic-ness was due to Elway, Sharpe, Smith, TD, Atwater, Braxton, Mobley, etc..... All our guys who we watched grow and bring us fans a trophy to brag about for the next millennia. A Manning led SB, won't have that zing to it as a Tebow or Weber SB would.
            Not only this, but it's also hard to root for the guy that was our worst enemy the last time we had a playoff team. If there's one guy in the league Broncos fans hate, even though we all respect him, it's Peyton Manning. It's like the Yankees going hard after Cliff Lee or pretty much anyone that owns them. I want revenge on Manning, not to be friends with him. If anything I wouldn't mind seeing him as a Chief so long as he doesn't own us further.

Comment

I was happy to have Neil Smith on the team during our Super Bowl runs even though he had been the enemy. He seemed like a good guy and was an easy guy to root for. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about Peyton.

Comment

Peyton Manning is a Colt. People need to respect that because it's something that'll never change.

Having said that, say he plays for another 5 years and wins another ring or two during that period of time. Doesn't really matter where, people would remember that and talk about it. Would be quite something , given he's a QB and all.

If we're talking 2 or 3 years and nothing to show for it, it'll be forgotten faster than you think.
                Adopted Poster
                AZ Snake Fan

Comment

The point eludes me.

Cookie Gilchrist, Dave Costa, Paul Martha, Charley Johnson, Jim Turner, Craig Morton, Bobby Maples, Tony Dorsett, Gaston Green, Rod Bernstine, Anthony Miller, Bill Romanowski, Alfred Williams, Ed McCaffrey, Howard Griffith, Neil Smith, Jake Plummer, John Lynch, Ebenezer Ekuban, Correll Buckhalter, Brian Dawkins, Willis McGahee, Andre Goodman are some in this category, perhaps.

I wonder if Craig Morton considers himself a Cowboy or a Bronco?

Is the point of this thread to devalue the possibility of Peyton Manning becoming a Bronco or to relive the days before Free agency?
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                    Cookie Gilchrist, Dave Costa, Paul Martha, Charley Johnson, Jim Turner, Craig Morton, Bobby Maples, Tony Dorsett, Gaston Green, Rod Bernstine, Anthony Miller, Bill Romanowski, Alfred Williams, Ed McCaffrey, Howard Griffith, Jake Plummer, John Lynch, Ebenezer Ekuban, Correll Buckhalter, Brian Dawkins, Willis McGahee, Andre Goodman are some in this category, perhaps.

Is the point of this thread to devalue the possibility of Peyton Manning becoming a Bronco or to relive the days before Free agency?
                    Seemed to me that it was to point out that if we win a Super Bowl with Manning, it wont be as awesome because Manning played the majority of his career with the Colts....

:doh:

Sorry OP, but I'll take a Super Bowl however we can get one, whether it's via Manning, Tebow, or both. Preferably both.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                      Seemed to me that it was to point out that if we win a Super Bowl with Manning, it wont be as awesome because Manning played the majority of his career with the Colts....

Sorry OP, but I'll take a Super Bowl however we can get one, whether it's via Manning, Tebow, or both. Preferably both.
                      Many forget (or didn't know in the first place) that Craig Morton used to run Speed Option.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        Cookie Gilchrist, Dave Costa, Paul Martha, Charley Johnson, Jim Turner, Craig Morton, Bobby Maples, Tony Dorsett, Gaston Green, Rod Bernstine, Anthony Miller, Bill Romanowski, Alfred Williams, Ed McCaffrey, Howard Griffith, Jake Plummer, John Lynch, Ebenezer Ekuban, Correll Buckhalter, Brian Dawkins, Willis McGahee, Andre Goodman are some in this category, perhaps.

Did you read my post?

Many of the players you posted switched teams when they were not in the 'end of their careers.' Also, some were not 'associated with' a team. And some are examples of the exact point I'm trying to make...
                        B-Dawk, will always be an Eagle although I love him,but not like I love Champ (who we got early in his career)
                        Dorsett will always be a Cowboy (he played for us for one year).

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post

I agree. I'll take a Superbowl in any shape or form (even though Manning has had only 1, and is in no way a guarantee). However, as you said it wouldn't be as special because he isn't really a Bronco.

Comment

You play to win the game
                            sigpic

Comment

When the Rangers won the Cup with Mark Messier, I didn't really care that he had spent most of his career with Edmonton prior to that. Don't think anyone else in NY did either.
                              Sent from my Human Cent-iPad

Comment

Working...
                              X