Why Peyton Won't Set Us Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Peyton Won't Set Us Back

Everyone is acting as if we are sacrificing something by acquiring Manning. This zero-sum mentality is really dividing the fan base at this point. Let's make a few things clear:

1. The Broncos gave up no draft picks to get Manning, and thus the "rebuild" mentality does not necessarily have to be sacrificed.
    2. The Broncos have plenty of cap space, even after signing Manning
    3. Not all of the 96 million is guaranteed. Thus, if Manning goes down, it's not an "OMGAHHHHH!!!!" situation. See #2.
    4. The worst case scenario, where if Manning goes down (as in #3), and the hypothetical destruction of the rebuilding process is a fabrication. Elway, Fox and Xanders realize they need a backup plan for said worst case scenario. They know more about this stuff than we do.
    5. It was clear Tebow was not Elway's guy. He was going to draft a QB, anyway. We will be drafting a QB to take over immediately after Manning retires. Think Jay Cutler. If you didn't see the writing on the wall, I'm not sure I can help you.

Logically, I don't know how we can assume that Manning isn't just a stop-gap (and a good one at that) who can help us make a run deep into the playoffs for the next few years.

Peyton is a means to an end. A means to facilitate the rebuilding process. In my mind (and I think in Elway's mind, as well), Peyton is not the future, though he may be an immediate solution.

Elway will draft the future. I'm thinking in the 1st round next year, after we solidify a short-term backup this year.

Just my two cents.

Thoughts? Anyone else see Manning as only a phase to the rebuilding process? Anyone else think this is far from over?

Peyton is not a "stop gap." He's not a bridge to something else. He is the here and now. He is a franchise QB.

Now, I agree that signing Manning does not set the Broncos back. On the contrary, it makes them better. No rational fan can possibly think Manning is NOT an upgrade over Tebow. So, this team has majorly upgraded the most important position on the field.

Denver won 8 games last year. I predict at LEAST 10 and probably 11 or 12 this year. This team just got a lot better. And now you get a chance to bring in a pro style QB to take over after Manning retires, whenever that may be (and I can guarantee that Manning will give Elway an idea of when it's time to bring someone in.)

Comment

Originally posted by PeytonIsDaMan View Post
      Peyton is not a "stop gap." He's not a bridge to something else. He is the here and now. He is a franchise QB.

Now, I agree that signing Manning does not set the Broncos back. On the contrary, it makes them better. No rational fan can possibly think Manning is NOT an upgrade over Tebow. So, this team has majorly upgraded the most important position on the field.

Denver won 8 games last year. I predict at LEAST 10 and probably 11 or 12 this year. This team just got a lot better. And now you get a chance to bring in a pro style QB to take over after Manning retires, whenever that may be (and I can guarantee that Manning will give Elway an idea of when it's time to bring someone in.)
      I can agree with that.

My main point was that the Broncos can have a QB ready to start when Peyton retires. Which, for some reason, a lot of our fanbase doesn't think is possible over a 5 year span.

Comment

... I can think of 96 million reasons and one busted neck why he can set you back ...

Comment

Only 18 million is garaunteed in this contract.....yea he isn't setting us back. Heck of a get for the broncos.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Brother View Post
            ... I can think of 96 million reasons and one busted neck why he can set you back ...
            See the post directly above.

EDIT: If it were that simple, I would question EFX. But it's not.

Comment

I can think of one reason (a QB who can't throw) why he will propel us forward.

Also, his neck is stronger than ever. That's the point of the surgery. Not to make it weaker. He's at no greater risk of neck injury than Tebow or any other QB.

Comment

Is $96 million GUARANTEED? NO.

Is it really that hard to understand, people? Get your facts straight. The Broncos are only on the hook for $18 million the first year - you know.. the year when he is going to re-injure his neck if he's going to do it.

In the 2nd year, he will have to pass a physical to get $40 million.
                sigpic

@BlueNOrangeFTW

Comment

and I would gamble on all 96 million reasons for a shot at the superbowl in the next 3 years any day of the week

Comment

Want to know why it will set us back?

Ok. Sorgi and Painter. That's the type of QB that will be needed to "groom". I can almost GUARANTEE YOU that we will be in the position the Colts are in now and where the Vikings were a year ago.

Manning is a GREAT addition but DO NOT expect the next QB to be one who studies under Manning.
                    Forum "credibility" is the same as writing articles for "The Bleacher Report"

Comment

Best free-agent signing of NFL history, sign some more offense help, continue building defense and draft a QB to learn under "the sheriff"

Real QB in Mile High, love it

Comment

i g n o r a n t

Comment

Only 18 million is guaranteed.

And we have a better shot at a SB with Manning then Tebow in the next 3-5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rocks View Post

Ok. Sorgi and Painter. That's the type of QB that will be needed to "groom". I can almost GUARANTEE YOU that we will be in the position the Colts are in now and where the Vikings were a year ago.

Manning is a GREAT addition but DO NOT expect the next QB to be one who studies under Manning.
                            Sorgi and Painter are not talented enough to be starting QBs in the NFL. They were both 6th round picks. Elway will draft a QB in the first couple rounds of one of these drafts. The talent gap between a 1st-2nd round pick and 6th round pick is significant.

Neither Sorgi nor Painter were drafted to take over for Peyton Manning, but as a last resort emergency contingency plan if Peyton got injured. The Colts knew that neither of them would ever be starters, so why would Peyton waste time "grooming" them?

Comment

Originally posted by rocks View Post

Ok.

That's more of a reflection on Painter and Sorgi than it is on all QB's who backup Peyton. Aaron Rodgers anybody??

You need to find a QB out of college who is willing to learn and put the time in to get better and truly understand what it takes to become a great QB in this league when his time comes.
                              Don't give up... Don't ever give up

Comment

Working...
                              X